Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Done your Orals yet?

Options
  • 13-04-2005 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Done them yet? Our school had German and French, and any other language you would be doing. Irish is next week (but im exempt!!!) and had German this week, on Tuesday. Went well, i reviewed everything after the test to check if what i said was right. Seems like i did great. Was asked about Where i live, school, uniform, germany and german, my family, also got the Kein Gelf fur die Minibar roleplay, and got the Wiehnachten pictures.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Yeah, the language ones were on this week in my school too, Irish is next week. I had my Spanish one this morning - I think it went ok. I got a nice roleplay - Oficina de Turismo (and I got suitably angry! Very dramatic!) - though the examiner started sniggering while I was speaking, I couldn't work out why until afterwards... In that roleplay one of the things I had to do complain about my hotel and give two reasons why, I said "I'm not happy with my hotel room - firstly, the shower doesn't work properly, and secondly, I couldn't sleep last night because the walls were really thin and the other guests were really noisy" - when I said that I was thinking of it in terms of other guests having a party or something, but I think he thought I meant they were having sex. Arrgh!!
    The general conversation went pretty well I think. He asked about my school, my subjects, my interests, what I'm going to do this summer, what I want to do next year, what I did last weekend, about my area - they're all pretty basic topics, but I managed to expand them a bit and bring in more complicated stuff. I managed to get in the subjunctive and the conditional even though they weren't exactly necessary, and he didn't get a chance to ask me anything really complicated because I just kept talking and we ran completely over time. In fact, I had the longest oral of anyone so far, I hope that's a good thing... I was telling him about the last book that I read, Les Miserables, and I told him that I saw the musical last year... I was trying to explain that one of my friends was in it, playing Javert, but I couldn't think of what the word was for acting; I think I fell down a bit there! Also, I stumbled a bit trying to explain why I want to go and visit Pompeii - I was able to tell him that I've studied it in Classical Studies and that it seems really interesting and that I've heard that the buildings are very beautiful, and that there are people preserved in Plaster of Paris, but he asked me what happened in Pompeii (ie. He wanted me to tell him about the volcano erupting) but I had to say that I didn't have the necessary vocabulary for it. I really hope that I won't be marked down too much for that, since I did use all of my tenses correctly. I also confused him a bit when I said that I went to see the Spongebob Squarepants Movie - not actually true, but for some reason it was all I could think of! He'd obviously never heard of it... I told him it was about a sponge who lived under the sea in a pineapple, and his adventures with his friend who's a starfish - he looked incredibly confused until I told him it was a children's cartoon, I'd forgotten to mention it earlier!
    I'm glad it's over though! I was so nervous coming up to it and I was afraid I'd lose all my Spanish once I went in - however, once I got in I was fine. The examiner was really nice and really put me at my ease, I didn't even notice the time going by and when he turned off the tape I was like 'Huh? Already?' I was really annoyed because I had so much more to say, and I'd prepared so much stuff, but I think it went reasonably well. I'm just so glad I never have to look at those stupid roleplays again!
    My Irish oral is on Friday week, which gives me a nice long time to prepare for it! I hope it goes well. To anyone who's got orals coming up, good luck!

Advertisement