Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DivX encoding issues on hyperthreading cpu

• 13-04-2005 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

anybody know why my hyperthreading cpu is only running at 50% when encoding divx video? should dr divx not be grabbing ~100% of the cpu??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Maybe it doesn't need to use 100%, maybe you don't have enough ram to process the information, maybe your hard-drive is too slow to load in the data. Who knows.

John

And I'll assume the Divx's you're encoding are legal. If they're not, I'll lock this.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Jesus that was a bit much!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

ricey wrote:
    Jesus that was a bit much!!

I agree tbh.

I would have thought Dr. DivX should use 100% of cpu. If ur pc has a decent spec all round then there should be no problem.

What was a bit much? If you don't have anything of use to contribute, then don't.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

Lump wrote:
    What was a bit much? If you don't have anything of use to contribute, then don't.
    John

whats with the threat of heavy handed moderation? - or am i reading this thread correctly.
    anyway, i switched hyperthreading off in the bios and now dr divx is using 100% cpu so goodbye hyperthreading feature until divx issue a fix.

bibibobo wrote:
    whats with the threat of heavy handed moderation? - or am i reading this thread correctly.
    anyway, i switched hyperthreading off in the bios and now dr divx is using 100% cpu so goodbye hyperthreading feature until divx issue a fix.

I like to warn people.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

Ok,

i've finally given up on encoding my DVD's to DiVx, reasons:

1. take way too long (up to 3 hours!!!)
    2. resultant file often has video and audio incorrectly matched (couldnt be arsed trying to correct in the likes of virtualdub etc). anyway the sound is mismatched at the end of the video rather than the beginning further complicating the correction task.
    3. my new philips 630 divX player plays the files ok but has a crappy interface and aint the quickest to load.
    4. divx encoder costs $20

I think the main reason i tried divx out is to have the ability to store dvd's on my pc (wouldnt be watching them on the pc though) as backups.

Conclusion:
    I now DVD shrink all my DVD's and burn to cheap media DVD-R/+R as back-ups for the original disks which I own.

Divx Sucks!!!

Edited for Legal reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

bibibobo wrote:
    whats with the threat of heavy handed moderation?

Banned Permently

John

Oh and yea, I'm fat. Not insecure though .

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

hehe, im so tempted to say pms, but i won't :)

i've encode with divx and xvid on a 3.09 hyperthreaded p4 and have noticed absolutely no difference (timewise) between encoding with it on and with it off, come to think of it i don't think i've ever seen one application go above 50% cpu time with it on and there's no performance loss, actually with it off the pc slows to a crawl when an app takes up 100% cpu time

do a test, encoded something, say a minute long, with ht on and with ht off and tell us if theres any difference in the time it takes

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

It's not CPU usage you should be looking at but fps. Personally I wouldn't want anything using 100% of my CPU. I encode on Idle and leave it in the background while I do whatever I want. Doesn't bother me too much how long it takes.
    bibibobo wrote:
    1. take way too long (up to 3 hours!!!)
    2. resultant file often has video and audio incorrectly matched (couldnt be arsed trying to correct in the likes of virtualdub etc). anyway the sound is mismatched at the end of the video rather than the beginning further complicating the correction task.
    3. my new philips 630 divX player plays the files ok but has a crappy interface and aint the quickest to load.
    4. divx encoder costs $20

Use xvid and Gordian Knot. Been encodeing things for years now and have never had to pay for the software or had mismatched audio/video

Advertisement