Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

USB Hub driver problems

• 13-04-2005 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Ok, so my brother got one of those usb hubs, and now we cant get the thing to work, it says the drivers install automatically, theres no cd or anything, the drivers are stored inside the hub itself, anyways we tried it on the windows2000 machine and no such luck, it says something about choosing "Generic USB Hub" from a list of drivers but its not there and it doesnt install anything automatically, now ive tried this on my win xp machine and its working perfectly as soon as i pluged it in it was working, anyone know if theres maybe some site i can download these drivers, or maybe theres some setting that we are overlooking????

Also he got one of them USB game controllers which also has the zact same problem, manual says its plug n' play, we plug it in it doesnt work with the win 2k, and works perfectly on the XP, can anyone please help me with these driver issues??? thanks,
    jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Win 2000 was very bad with Plug'n'play.

Generaly there will be drivers available on the vendors website just for Win 2000. That is your best port of call.

I also seem to remember that Win 2000 did not do USB very well until a later update. Might want to check out windows update.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Win 2000 was very bad with Plug'n'play.

Generaly there will be drivers available on the vendors website just for Win 2000. That is your best port of call.

I also seem to remember that Win 2000 did not do USB very well until a later update. Might want to check out windows update.

Hope it helps

An up to date W2k (SP3/4) handles USB and plug n play perfectly well.

A USB hub should not require drivers of any sort (except built-in Windows ones). If it does bring it back and get a different model. EDIT: Is this an internal USB expansion card rather than hub? That would be different.

As for the gameport ... sometimes you have to install drivers before installing the hardware.

Is your Windows install up to date - Service Pack wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Yes i have tried the vendors website but there are no drivers to download, i have a feeling they are using the built-on windows ones anyways but they dont seem to be installed, service pack wise, i have update the machine with all patches recommended on the windows update site, but they seem to be security updates only, and this was only last month, how can i tell which service pack i have? im almost certain it might only be service pack 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

how can i tell which service pack i have?
    Click Start, click Run, type winver and hit return

Yu'll have a screen containing the text

"Microsoft[R] Windows
    Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack<your level here>)"

Ok thanks for that, Oddly enough its service pack four, so this must be a seperate issue, please keep all your suggestions comming, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Is the USB "hub" an external device or internal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Ok, Just a couple of questions that may help.

Is the USB Hum USB 1.1 or 2.0 and is the USP port in the computer 1.1 or 2.0

Does the hub need to be powered. Some do.

Did the port work before. Did it take both 1.1 and 2.0 devices

the usb hub is usb 1.1 external, it doesnt need to be powered and it never worked on the windows 200 machine before, it works not-a-bother on the xp machine though, ok i think the usb port on the computer is usb 2.0 but were not sure, how can we check? i didnt think this would be a problem anyways...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

It's not a Dell you have is it?

They (among other brands) supplied machines that had underpowered USB ports which couldn't supply enough juice to unpowered devices (some external HD's, hubs, webcams etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

kasintahan wrote:
    machines that had underpowered USB ports which couldn't supply enough juice to unpowered devices (some external HD's, hubs, webcams etc).
    Only on the front panel ports I thought, though I'm open to correction there.

• Advertisement

Yes its a dell dimension 4100, but other usb devices work perfectly, webcam, 256 flash drive, mp3 player ...flash drive is the only non-powered device there though, this has not happened before though, is there any way to fix this, how come i have never heard of this happening to anyone else before?

Advertisement