Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue Piercing

Options
  • 13-04-2005 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

I want to get my tongue done but am waiting till next summer cuz I do Tae Kwon Do and your nit allowed any form of jewellry in that and since im going to a two week camp next summer it would be a waist to get it done now. But Im wondering for after that will it be okay after a while to be taking it out for the hour of training and put it back in straight away after or will it irritate it too much? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

You can buy retainers for the piercing. I've heard tongue piercings can close in half an hour, so I think your best bet is the retainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

My piercings always heal up incredibly fast, as in it would require force to get something back in after about half an hour, which isn't good for the piercing, if you're doing it regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭charon

They probably wouldn't notice it if you did have it done anyway. I've had mine done about 3 years and there are stilll members of my family who don't know I've it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

How does the tongue piercer form a whole in your tongue for the ring to go through? Isn't the tongue just blood, so a slight cut and it would be bleeding for ages?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

yeah i wouldnt be worried about people seeing it its for safety to take it out, I fight a LOT one of my main reasons for doing TKD and it would be fairly dangerous to have it in during a fight but i could probably leave it in for some classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The tongue is a muscle. there's very little blood in it, compared with other areas. As regards how it's pierced, with a special needle.

no the tongue is made of fleshy muscle as far as i know. How else would you be able to move it, eat, lick......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

The difference is that the tongue has much smaller blood vessels than most other muscles. Hence the healing time for the blood vessels is alot lower. The muscle fibers are also smaller, hence it feels more fleshy and squishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

The line down the middle of your tongue is all dead skin holding the two muscles on either side of your tongue together. There is a small sheet of muscle on top and on the bottom of your tongue that helps you move it too. When you get your tongue pierced all you feel is the needle piercing the top and bottom layer of muscle.
    The tongue is also the fastest healing part of your body so if you do decide to take it out you can be guaranteed it will heal up.
    I once swallowed my tongue bar at about 5am one night, rang into Celestial Ring the next morning at 9am and had to have my tongue re-pierced. I had my tongue piercing for about 8 months at this stage so it is a mighty quick healer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

YOU SWOLLOWED YOUR TONGUE!! wow. Is that because your tongue was pierced that its easier to swallow or something. Or were you just pissed out of your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

He swallowed the bar. Learn to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I didn't realise how quickly it closes over. Took mine out yesterday in the pub, forgot about it and 4 hours later tried to put it in, and i couldn't. Wil have to get it redone if i want to keep it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh i got mine re-pierced,only cost about €10 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

My friend can take hers out for a month and it stays open. The longest I've left mine out was two hours, and that was fine. On the other hand a classmate left hers out for half an hour and it closed up so I think it depends on the person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 red riding hood

I really want to get my tongue pierced!!!Does it hurt??

The tongue is made up almost entirely of dead tissue. The only parts with sensation are the very top layer and bottom layer. They're the only parts you'd feel. Just the entry and exit wounds, so it really shouldn't hurt that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

To the OP: one of the guys in my TKD club has his tongue pierced. He just leaves it in during training, but he's had the bar for years and is well used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The tongue is made up almost entirely of dead tissue.

I dont know where you heard this crock of sh1t, but that's what it is.
    The tongue is a muscle and is most definitely not dead. The muscle in the centre possibly does not have many nerves but it is not dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

To the OP: one of the guys in my TKD club has his tongue pierced. He just leaves it in during training, but he's had the bar for years and is well used to it.
    Yeah, probably the easiest thing to do. I mean its not as if your gonna be sticking your tongue out when doing TKD now are ya? LOL

Girl in my TKD class has her eyebrow peirced and she never takes it out during training (despite being meant to). Its never caused her problems.... at least not yet anyway!

yeah it may not cause trouble for training, a guy in my club has his eyebrow done, but I'm literally there to fight, and it may cause trouble then..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The tongue is made up almost entirely of dead tissue. The only parts with sensation are the very top layer and bottom layer. They're the only parts you'd feel. Just the entry and exit wounds, so it really shouldn't hurt that much.

You're just making this sh*t up as you go along, aren't you?

The only 'dead tissue' in the human body is nails, hair, and dead skin on the soles of your feet. Your tongue is most certainly NOT 'dead tissue'. It is a muscle with veins and an artery. If you sever that artery you could bleed to death. Luckily it would be a very very stupid person to sever an artery that is plainly obvious to the naked eye.

Also, above the neck you bleed a lot more than from a wound on, say, a limb.

A tongue piercing WILL bleed. A tongue piercing WILL hurt. Almost all piercings do, to some extent.

If you're going to post any more of your bullsh*t, made up medical knowledge, i'd appreciate it if you didn't do it on this forum. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

The Tongue is definately not dead. Dead muscle riggers, stiffens up, and my tongue is nice and limber. The tongue is not dead, long live the tongue!!

I leave it in all the time. No need to take it out except to clean it. I think on average the healing time is around 3 hours. Different for different people. Leave it in for playing soccer, no problems. just make sure its screwed on tight. My sister as swallowed hers twice from it coming apart in her sleep. No it was not the same one both times. Thats sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

Don't be stupid - if it is made of dead tissue, how do you explain the movement. The tongue is very much alive. I have mine done about a year-and i can take it out and it doesnt heel up. Mind you i only take it out for moments at a time. I cant see how it can heel up if there is no open wound. You need an open wound for the body to start reapairing itself in such a way.

However, i have my eyebrow done too and that seems to heal after a while. Mind you, i havent taken it out in a while. Maybe it is ok now. It is very fiddly to get the ball back on thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 red riding hood

Fungtank wrote:
    The Tongue is definately not dead. Dead muscle riggers, stiffens up, and my tongue is nice and limber. The tongue is not dead, long live the tongue!!

I leave it in all the time. No need to take it out except to clean it. I think on average the healing time is around 3 hours. Different for different people. Leave it in for playing soccer, no problems. just make sure its screwed on tight. My sister as swallowed hers twice from it coming apart in her sleep. No it was not the same one both times. Thats sick.
    When you got it pierced how much did it hurt and for how long?

Red Riding Hood - how long is a piece of string?

It's different for everyone.

Please read the charter before posting here. Posts asking 'DID IT HURT?' are not tolerated on here, they're boring and pointless questions.

I meant it's dead in terms of feeling, probably should have made that clearer. :rolleyes: I meant there aren't many nerves in the tongue, just to clarify.

• Advertisement

Have you never bitten your tongue? :P

Advertisement