Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Glazing/Gutters

Options
  • 13-04-2005 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm starting to think about replacing my windows with double glazed ones and also replacing all the gutters. I'm in a 4 bed semi in Greystones.

Trying to figure out how much I should budget for. Any idea of roughly how much these would cost?

Also, could you recommend a particular supplier based on your own experience.

Any assistance appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

Any takers?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Is the double glazing replacement, pvc, aluminium, or timber windows. Or are you changing glass only.

kadman :)

kadman wrote:
    Is the double glazing replacement, pvc, aluminium, or timber windows. Or are you changing glass only.

I've white timber wood and plain glass at the moment - want to completely change to double glazed windows and presumably, PVC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

Ask your neighbours about who they got.
    Get a few contact numbers.
    Ring them all.
    Get a quote from each one.

The best quote with the best reputation gets the job.

Good luck.

There are many pvc manufacturers available, golden pages, internet, will find the nearest suppliers to you for a quote. All of them will offer a supply only, or fully fitted quote, depending on the amount of diy work you intend to do.

Your costs will depend on level of security required, 3 or five point locking.
    Handle types, key or button locking.
    Window sizes above a certain width, require internal structural supports.
    Colour types will reflect increased costs.
    Double or triple glazing.
    Glass type. special requirements, maybe K glass, or laminated.

Recent studies show that wooden windows, longterm, may not be as expensive as first thought. Modern window construction materials may not be as long lived as proper constructed , preserved, wooden windows.

Indeed I have taken out wooden windows of 150+ years that were in excellent condition to replace them with modern materials. Will upvc and aluminium last as long, some authorative sources believe they will not. Who knows.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kadman, lots to consider.

I'm not a DIY person so I'll be getting the experts to do the whole lot.

The only DIY I can manage is toast :p

LSLFAN wrote:

The only DIY I can manage is toast :p

So you make the tea then, and keep the boys on the move .he.he. :D:D

Advertisement