Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remote Central Locking

Options
  • 13-04-2005 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello all

I was wondering is it possible to fit a remote to a central locking system that is already in a car, if so what do i need to get and where can it be got??

would it be difficult to install?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It shouldn't be too hard. I didn't even have central locking in my car and when I got the alarm fitted I paid £90 extra to have remote central locking aswell. Depends on the car and how much room there is behind your door panel. I couldn't be bothered to do it myself so Safe Sounds did it. www.safesounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tunes81

Its a golf, just got it so if i don't do it now it'll never be done, 90 that seems steep enough, well i suppose fitting it could be a tricky enough job, what was the total cost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

To fit a remote central lock to a standard central lock will require a transmitter and reciever tapped into your current central lock system. This reciever will send a 12v to the central lock control box when you press the button, thus locking/unlocking the car.

To answer your question, Yes it can be done with aftermarket equipment.
    It *is* expensive, because its tricky work and can take about 1.5 hours labour. Unless you know what your doing, get an auto electrician to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest it can be an expensive job to do on its own because it is time consuming. The parts needed should cost under €100 but depending on the car and the existing central locking system there may be some delicate work involved.

You may be better off paying a bit extra and go for a good alarm system which will more than likely have this functionality built in. Kill two birds with one stone.

Advertisement