Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Question

Options
  • 14-04-2005 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

A friend bought a second hand car (registered March 1999) in August 2001. It was never "called" for an NCT and he had no problem taxing it in 2003 and 2004.

Is he legal? Does a car have to have an NCT disc? I know that the motor tax people won't let you tax it unless it's got an NCT, but they usually check the record or simply look at the tax renewal form that tells you when the NCT due date is. His tax renewal forms have "NCT due date" typed on them, but with no date added. The car was originally registered as a disabled persons car.

He's been told by a friend that if he presents it for NCT now, they'll NCT it up to March 2005 as it was first due in March 2003, and he'll have to do it again immediately.

Anyone know if that's the case or will they just NCT it to 2007?

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

DubTony wrote:
    A friend bought a second hand car (registered March 1999) in August 2001. It was never "called" for an NCT and he had no problem taxing it in 2003 and 2004.

Is he legal? Does a car have to have an NCT disc? I know that the motor tax people won't let you tax it unless it's got an NCT, but they usually check the record or simply look at the tax renewal form that tells you when the NCT due date is. His tax renewal forms have "NCT due date" typed on them, but with no date added. The car was originally registered as a disabled persons car.

He's been told by a friend that if he presents it for NCT now, they'll NCT it up to March 2005 as it was first due in March 2003, and he'll have to do it again immediately.

Anyone know if that's the case or will they just NCT it to 2007?

Tony
    nah theryl nct it till march 2007, it is not legal the road tax dept dont care either way now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yup motor tax people don't want to see nct certs, cops don't seem to care either. However it's 5 points and mandatory court appearance if you find someone in power who does care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

stratos wrote:
    However it's 5 points and mandatory court appearance if you find someone in power who does care.

The only things that you can get points for are speeding, no seatbelt, and no insurance

It's the insurance that is 5 points and a court visit.

I've a car which I brought in from the UK a few years ago, and when I got my new reg and rang up the NCTS, they said that the new number wasn't on their system, and the only way to get into their system was to go to one of the centres and let them type it all in manually :rolleyes: .

Thanks very much says I, hanging up and never bothering with it (money-making scam anyway).

Been through loads of tax/insurance checks and never a word (tax/ins always up to date, and the car looks tidy)

BTW, a safe care is important to me, and mine IS inspected and serviced top to bottom by me, much more regularly than the NCTS ever would ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In that case your insurance company will hang you out to dry if you have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Victor wrote:
    In that case your insurance company will hang you out to dry if you have an accident.

Victor, are you saying that an insurance company will not pay out in the case of an accident where the at fault driver's car does not have an NCT?

Tony

• Advertisement

well an insurance claim form i read asks u whether the car is NCT d and when it was done, they may not pay if it wasnt done or deduct say 50% from the claim.

if u kill someone and its not ncted u are absolutely fooked,u could spend time in jail, or more time in jail as the case may be, is it really worth risking all this for 40 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

I know that if you have a car and its missed its nct for whatever reason, they will nct it from the date it was due for one.

So if the car was nct'd in March 2003 then it will only be nct'd until March 2005.

I bought a car that was was 18 months overdue its nct. It was nct'd before I picked it up but was only done for the next 6 months. I had to do it again after that.

The only problem here is that we've already passed March so I am not sure how they will handle that. I presume that there will be some way to make you pay twice as surely they have to rip you off some how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

lomb wrote:
    well an insurance claim form i read asks u whether the car is NCT d and when it was done, they may not pay if it wasnt done or deduct say 50% from the claim.

if u kill someone and its not ncted u are absolutely fooked,u could spend time in jail, or more time in jail as the case may be, is it really worth risking all this for 40 euro?
    AFAIK they have to imdenify you for all 3rd party claims, they can only void comp claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Ivan E wrote:
    I know that if you have a car and its missed its nct for whatever reason, they will nct it from the date it was due for one.
    iirc they go by the date of first registration of the vehicle.
    The NCT FAQ is online.
    3. What cars must be tested and how often?
    Testing was introduced on a phased basis as follows:

* Year 2000: Cars first registered before 1 January 1992
    * Year 2001: Cars first registered between 1992-1996
    * Year 2002 onwards: All four year old cars and eligible older cars i.e pre 92 registered cars tested in the year 2000 will be eligible for testing again in year 2002 because testing is every two years.

Test Certificates will be valid for up to 2 years (from the date the test is due to the registration anniversary date two years later).
    Commercial vehicles will continue to be D.o.E. tested.

4. How do I know when my car is due to be tested?
    All cars should be tested up to eight weeks before the anniversary date of first registration of their car. There is no link with motor tax or insurance expiry date.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Yeah could be. I think when you bring in a car (mine is an import), its registered and nct'd to be fully legal etc. From there on in its 2 years after.

But I came across a post where someone hadn't done it and let it go 20 months after the due date. When he went in they would only give it to him for 4 months. No different to what I got in my case but he was told that if he had waited another month (i.e 3 months to the next due date) he would have been fine and got it for 2 years even though it was 21 months overdue.

Make sense of that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are allowed do the test up to 3 months early to avoid the January purchasing peak unbalancing their workload completely.

correct u are allowed to do nct 6 months early for the first test, and 3 months for the subsequent tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

One good thing is the online booking - you pick a test location - then pick a date and it shows what timeslots are available - and you just click on what's convenient for you - it's booking cool.

causal

Advertisement