Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav and or best rock metal or other Guitarist

Options
  • 14-04-2005 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

K Might have been done before maybe not ah well...
    Who would be your fav guitarist or guitarists of all time, Who would be In your opinion the best guitarists of curent (still alive) and best of all time dead or alive...best could be for riff making, speed, creativity what ever you see in that person really...
    My three fav would have to be Richard Kruspa and Paul Landers from rammstein cause (a the play in diff tunings at the same time which is a feet in itself (b can use flamethrowers while playin and (c paul landers uses a EVH musicman guitar that only him and eddie can get... third guitarist would be Steven Carpenter from deftones just because he is steven carpenter and he is a god... best curent imo would be Steven C for just for greatness or Wes Borland from limp Bizkit (hate them but he is just so good) both for just being so good and kool at the same time ya could say steve via or what ever but his stuff is crap, best ever is..... Dimebag Darrell R.I.P.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rodrigo and gabriela

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Dimebag definately. Always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Best dead = Rory G.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,719 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The best dead probably really is Hendrix, know he's pretty blown out of proportion, butin fairness still a genius!

My personal favourite dead is Django Rheinhardt - what a legend of a man, only 3 working fingers and was still the best guitarist in the world for his lifetime (30's, 40's 50's). All this for a belgien gypsy!

Living, my favourites are prob Mustaine (on sheer speed and high pitchedness), Stone Gossard, Friedman, Wyndorf, love loads more but couldn't be arsed namin em all..

Also do love Rodrigo Y Gabriela as a pair, just fit together so perfectly switching riffs and being perfectly in synch all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

probably not the best but my faverate is angus young, then zack wild and then dimebag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

For being technically good I have to say I like Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth, he's not too wanky. For making guitars weep and being innovative, Blixa Bargeld. A lot of his stuff is very simple but some of it just boggles the mind on how he makes the sounds. He's my anti-guitarist of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Chuck Schuldiner has been a huge influence on me personally, so he gets my vote. And Mikael Akerfeldt has also been a great influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Dimebag, C'mon!! he got banned from contests when he was around 16 because they knew he'd win! and he had only been playin' a year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well for heavy Metal it has to be the legend himself: Zakk Wylde

but for brilliance: Satch, it used to be Vai, but he's just a twat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

rodrigo and gabriela

Definately.
    My fave would be John Petrucci from Dream Theater. Although he can shred with the best of them, he always seems to play what's best for the song.

Dimebag goes without saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 QueenAdreena

Ah its gotta be stef carpenter, i know some ppl say he's crap but he writes amazing riffs and plays really well, and has changed his style a lot too, he grows as a player with the music... he's fantasmic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

a-hole wrote:
    probably not the best but my faverate is angus young, then zack wild and then dimebag

Cartainly not the best, but there's an amazing energy about him, isn't there? He gets my vote, too, for pretty much personifying rock'n'roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

i'm gonna go with petrucci

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Different people do different things really well. I love Angus Young for his energy. I love Kirk Hammett for some of the really cool parts he did in the early days. I love Friedman's style. Rodrigo and Gabriela just have a really nice, innovative thing going, and people like Vai, satriani and Malmsteen just make the jaw drop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Alexi Laiho oh Children Of Bodom. Hes mechanically tight sounding and has some crazy solos which have bucketloads of emphasis and not just wankery. Also, Chris Amott is pretty good, his solo part followed by Mikes wah-wah in Arch Enemy's The Immortal is sweet.

Dead, theres Dimebag, Rhoads and possibly Hendrix. Most of my favourite guitarists are still alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

a-hole wrote:

He's by far the best hard blues-rock guitarist out there, imo. And he's no slouch in the riff writing department (along with Malcolm).

My top three would be:
    1. Angus Young
    2. Richie Sambora
    3. Slash

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

1.Richie Sambora
    2.Bruce Springsteen
    3.Steve van Zandt
    4.Paul Crook
    5.John Fruiscante

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Totally agree with the boys from Rammstein. Class!!!
    Also
    Eddie Van Halen+
    Kim Thayil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Dont want to rain on your parade brother but this is common post ,, check out previous results of common thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=215905&highlight=greatest+guitarist

Oh and by the way its obvious Hendrix is your only man

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dont want to rain on your parade brother but this is common post ,, check out previous results of common thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=215905&highlight=greatest+guitarist

Oh and by the way its obvious Hendrix is your only man

i am disgusted with the lack of rod y gab in there.saw em again a few days ago and i just still can't believe what i'm seein :)
    it was a million times better than the last time i saw them and that had been my fav concert.
    it's hard to say if ones better cos they are like one person but i suppose gabriela does play the guitar like a drum as well as a guitar.
    anyway their good !
    pisses me off that they look like it's absolutely no effort to play jeez!

i don't think hendrix should have won that particular vote because there are better than him there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I'm sure I'll get alot of abuse but I think that as far as living guitarists go, Clapton is well up there. Some of his Cream sh*t is just increadible. Sunshine of Your Love has probably one of the best riffs and was a Hendrix favourite at live gigs. Also Robbie Kreiger of the Doors....you cant knock the classics!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

I'm sure I'll get alot of abuse but I think that as far as living guitarists go, Clapton is well up there. Some of his Cream sh*t is just increadible. Sunshine of Your Love has probably one of the best riffs and was a Hendrix favourite at live gigs. Also Robbie Kreiger of the Doors....you cant knock the classics!!!

ya canna beat a bit of the slowhand, wha? ;)

Keef Richards is a goody also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Keef Richards is a goody also.

Yeah,but which one? My theory is that the origonal Keith Richards died about 20 years ago and there has been at least 16 replacements. If you think about it its the only logical explanation!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Really like Joe Satriani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

rory gallagher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Satch and Eddie Van Halen for pure technical mastery...

Rory Gallagher for penmaship (or whatever you'd call it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i never really caught into vai and satch because they do not really write songs. they aint as rounded as someone like malmstein(i am drunk please forgive spelling). i would go with zakk wylde for alroundness. there isn't a style i have not seen him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

and dime for best ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Loads mentioned already that I`d agree with.

I always liked George Lynchs style.When he played with Dokken in the 80s his sound was instantly recognisable and he was technically brilliant!

Gary Moore used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and John Sykes in Lizzy when they were in their last years always impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Bill Steer - He's a one man riff factory.

That is all.

Advertisement