Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav and or best rock metal or other Guitarist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Alex Lifeson of Rush....best ensemble Guitarist in the bussiness does everything brilliantly :)

Baggio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Clapton
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Tom Morello
    Vai
    Sambora
    Matt Bellamy
    Slash
    Page
    Hetfielf
    Gilmour

to name but a few

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

bonzai bob wrote:
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Tom Morello
    I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 poisonwasthecur

ah theres loads!!!

vai
    petrucci
    wylde
    rhoads
    dime

theres way to many to list!!!

my favourite is vai i think he is just amazing and he is naturally fast unlike malmsteen who has the scalloped frets and uses 6s to make him the fastest even though vai is still quicker and he makes music in different keys and all unlike malmsteen again who is not good and only writes in A minor for every song!!
    the best of all time i think is randy rhoads!!!!!! he brought so much in the short space he was here!! ****ing amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

ah theres loads!!!

vai
    petrucci
    wylde
    rhoads
    dime

theres way to many to list!!!

my favourite is vai i think he is just amazing and he is naturally fast unlike malmsteen who has the scalloped frets and uses 6s to make him the fastest even though vai is still quicker and he makes music in different keys and all unlike malmsteen again who is not good and only writes in A minor for every song!!
    the best of all time i think is randy rhoads!!!!!! he brought so much in the short space he was here!! ****ing amazing

Egads man are you on crack? Get over your Yngwie stigma, no-one uses 6's they would be impossible to play and scalloped fretboards don't make people faster, trust me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Not my area of expertise, but in no particular order

Rory Gallagher
    Malmsteen
    Rodrigo y Gabriela
    Hendrix
    John Fruiscante

Someone said Django Reinhardt, I know this is the Rock/Metal board, but for a man with a mutilated hand to develop his talent so far... sheer amazing.

I've heard good about most of the other guitarists here, but don't really know enough to say. I think someone mentioned john Petrucci from Dream Theater, but I wouldn't really have considered him a shredder, at least not from what I've heard (Awake)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Is John Frusciante part of Red Hot Chilli Peppers? I have a few tracks of his and he is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Jimmy Page
    Jimi Hendrix
    Mikael Akerfeldt
    Gian from Cradle of Filth (don't laugh)
    Angus Young
    James Hetfield
    Matt Belamy (sp? - guy from Muse)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

one that not many people would think of but Mike Einziger from Incubus is absolutely incredible technically,watch any of his live clips and it will blow you away

http://incubus-online-view.com/img/Mike_Einzinger_setup.gif

also another kinda abstract one - Kyle Cook of matchbox 20 - dunno if anybody likes their stuff but again another amazing guitarist,hes classically trained and can really really play some amazing stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 eddie-fandangle

rodrigo and gabriela

they are savage man hes a total speed demon but i have to say sslash is the best just because he always plays a melody but he can rip when he wants to eg paradise city, dirty little thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

0utshined wrote:
    Bill Steer - He's a one man riff factory.

That is all.

agreed he is class best composer around :) ten unbelievable riffs per song :)...dimebag is good too as too many people said, great even but saying he is the best ever is just wishful thinking.he managed to die, does not make him a better guitarist than his peers.
    slash is ok but nowhere near the rest mentioned because he can 'mix it up' doesn't make him stand out :)

Doctor J wrote:
    Egads man are you on crack? Get over your Yngwie stigma, no-one uses 6's they would be impossible to play and scalloped fretboards don't make people faster, trust me.

eh ye scalloped frets do make ya faster hence ya barely have to touch the strings to get a sound so of course its going to make you faster and ye he uses 7s soz!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

eh ye scalloped frets do make ya faster hence ya barely have to touch the strings to get a sound so of course its going to make you faster and ye he uses 7s soz!!

Are you utterly dim? Nobody uses "Scalloped frets" as it's the fretboard itself that gets scalloped; inbetween the frets. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ah, that's funny. You haven't a clue really, have you chap? Take all the wood away from under the strings, you still have to move the string the exact same distance to hit the fret but now that there's not wood to stop you, you can easily bend the string out of tune so you have to play more accurately on a scalloped board.

ye i do it ****ing makes you quicker!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was ****ing told by guitarists all over ireland who deal with guitars on a regular basis and that know their **** more then any of us!!!!!! whats the point in them???? to make the ****est sound possible????? thats all they do and obviously help ya play faster

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yes, that's right. Well done :rolleyes:

The point of scalloping a neck is to allow to get a better grip on the string for better vibrato and bends.

You're an Yngwie fan, are you not? Perhaps you'd like to hear him telling you that it doesn't make it easier to play faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

i was ****ing told by guitarists all over ireland who deal with guitars on a regular basis and that know their **** more then any of us!!!!!!

More than you, maybe. How do you know that "those guitarist who deal with guitars on a regular basis" are not us, the people you're talking to right now?

How do you know how much we know? And why are you so sure that you are right? How much do YOU know about guitars?

(and multiple exclamation marks will not reinforce your point, learn to back up your claims).

Let's take this back to the instruments forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Anyway...

Rodrigo y Gabriela are frighteningly talented. As are most Latin guitarists. (Paco deLucia and Luis Villegas etc). They make most rock guitarists look awful.

As far as rock guitarists go, Frusciante is super. He plays inspiring guitar without (much) wankery or embellishments. And Joe Perry. Just because...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Anyway...

Back on topic ;)

I dont like getting into these "who's the best" threads, but my all time fave is the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan. Slays me more than Jimi, actually.

Ancient1 wrote:
    More than you, maybe. How do you know that "those guitarist who deal with guitars on a regular basis" are not us, the people you're talking to right now?

How do you know how much we know? And why are you so sure that you are right? How much do YOU know about guitars?

(and multiple exclamation marks will not reinforce your point, learn to back up your claims).

Let's take this back to the instruments forum.

hahahaha i couldnt be arsed arguing over it!!

ye latin guitarists are real talented and classical guitarists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Chris Amott - Arch Enemy
    Pat O'Brien - Cannibal Corpse
    Trey Azagthoth - Morbid Angel
    The boys from Shadows Fall
    Niklas Sundin - Dark Tranquillity
    Mikael Akerfaelt - Opeth

And an honourable mention goes out to Peter Tatgren of Hypocrisy. Not the most technical guitarist on the planet but Jaysus, can he write a catchy riff :D

Rodrigo and Gabriella are very very good but I don't think I'd put them up there as the best.

Whoever said Gian from Cradle of Filth ought to be shot :D I've never seen worse guitar playing in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Pour Moi:
    Chuck Schuldiner - Death (riffs, solos, songs, the lot.)
    Michael Romeo - Symphony X
    Justin King - Acoustic
    Michael Hedges - Acoustic
    Preston Reed - Acoustic
    Paul Masvidal - Cynic (RIP you gods among men)
    Jason Becker - Cacophony, Solo
    John Petrucci - Dream Theater (nearly flawless technique)

Oh, and these scallopped potatoes help me eat faster.

And hey Karl, remember Wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Martel

First people that come to mind are:

Cool folks:
    John Petrucci
    Justin King
    Marcus Deml
    Bob Zabek

Technically great but I'm not a fan:
    Rusty Cooley
    Michael Angelo Batio
    Steve Vai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sugarfix

It's got to be Slash. No one plays good old-fashioned rock solos like that anymore. The man kicks ass.

And hey Karl, remember Wednesday night?

No...? :confused:

tommy emmanuel is amazing too!!!!

is music is just soo good

Well, we met in Sally's. I dressed "trendy" as the other BM lovers pointed out and found so odd about me. You had your Green Carnation T-Shirt as far as I can remember. Slightly off-topic, but meh.

Well, we met in Sally's. I dressed "trendy" as the other BM lovers pointed out and found so odd about me. You had your Green Carnation T-Shirt as far as I can remember. Slightly off-topic, but meh.

Oh no, that wasn't me. You must've run into an imposter. That fat bastard is always running his gob pretending to be me. Don't be fooled! :p

Haha, wow. That's really... weird. He either loves you or hates you.

• Advertisement

anyone ever hear of neal schon??

hes really good too

Advertisement