Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav and or best rock metal or other Guitarist

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Tom Morello, bring on oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Deadnight

Chuck Schulinder, Trey Spruance, Alexi Laiho, Hank Sherman, Trevor Peres and Ler Lelonde :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Hetfield for some of the best riffs in modern metal. Slash for kicking major ass for nearly 20 years and Iommi for starting the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

I always liked jerry cantrell, he can rock, but is capable of writing beautiful acoustic stuff too
    Dimebag for that squeeeell!
    rory gallagher, cos he was ahead of his time in ireland
    rivers cuomo, for such beautiful melodies
    michael angelo, unbelieveable speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I agree with most of the names posted, I don't think anyone has mentioned Chris Poland or Alex Skolnick though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 *Slash*

Mark Knopfler

doesnt really fit in wit every1 else here but he's bloody brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Oh, and Lindesy Buckingham, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This will probably go down like a lead balloon here, but an accomplished classical guitarist is much much much much much more technically proficient than any accomplished rock/metal/punk/whatever guitarist.

m.u.ch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

This will probably go down like a lead balloon here, but an accomplished classical guitarist is much much much much much more technically proficient than any accomplished rock/metal/punk/whatever guitarist.

m.u.ch.

No they're not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

gilmour,lifeson,evh,morello,knopfler...thats who influences me so yeah them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Adam Jones from Tool -- definitely not the best of all time but on the other hand he is my favourite. As far as I know he is a big fan of the Edge(another guitarist not mentioned on this thread AFAIK) and he's kind of in a similar mould. You don't necessarily have to include a twenty minute solo in each song to be classed as a great guitarist in my book. Nice choice of chords, dynamics and unbelieveable rythmic ability are just as important surely???

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Paleface wrote:
    Adam Jones from Tool -- definitely not the best of all time but on the other hand he is my favourite. As far as I know he is a big fan of the Edge(another guitarist not mentioned on this thread AFAIK) and he's kind of in a similar mould. You don't necessarily have to include a twenty minute solo in each song to be classed as a great guitarist in my book. Nice choice of chords, dynamics and unbelieveable rythmic ability are just as important surely???
    You should listen to Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. I'd say you'd like him.

0utshined wrote:
    :rolleyes:

0utshined has a point.

What did you expect? You made a sweeping sweeping generalisation.

S.w.e.e.p.i.n.g.

It's ture, prove me wrong!

I'd like to post a video, but it's 49 mb :eek: Any way I can do this? Would anyone be arsed watching it if I did?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

0utshined wrote:

actually classical guitarists are better.

Thanks, I thought I'd be out on my own here. I'll try and e-mail that vid to anyone who wants to see it. In the one piece, he uses almost every technique I can think of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

he sounds alright so :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, I thought I'd be out on my own here. I'll try and e-mail that vid to anyone who wants to see it. In the one piece, he uses almost every technique I can think of.
    He can play every technique... So what? There are metal guitarists that can play "every technique" what makes them any worse than Classical guitarists? Technique isn't everything.

If you read my original post on this thread, I said that calssical guitarists are more "technically proficient"

Anyway, I'm not a metal head so if you can mention someone who uses a wide range of "techniques" I'll try and find some of their stuff.

The main area in which I think calssical guitarists are superior is that of playing complex bassline+melody, use of varying loundness (crescendo etc), speed (speed on an electric with massive amounts of distortion is not the same thing)......blah blah blah. I would have to concede that Rock/Metal guitarists are far superior in terms of improv.

It's ture, prove me wrong!

No it's not true. Prove your case yourself buddy.

I'd like to post a video, but it's 49 mb :eek: Any way I can do this? Would anyone be arsed watching it if I did?

I'd like to watch it. Put it up on Rapidshare.de

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I think you'll find yourself quite wrong, breadmonkey. You see, classical guitarists play using a flamenco/risguado technique, finger styles. Metal guitarists for the most part use picks, first off making them hard to compare.

Secondly, acoustic guitarists like Preston Reed and Justin King and Michael Hedges outshine ANY classical acoustic guitarist. They make staggering use of tapping, advanced rhythmic concepts and their risguado/classical/flamenco technique is pinnacle. If anything, they're the evolution of classical guitar.

Thirdly, there are "classical" guitarists in metal. Jason Becker and Yngwie Malmsteen, who play metal predominantly but have excellent classical technique and even more impressive picking techniques. As well as this, it's all a matter of opinion, whether you prefer acoustic classical technique or electric. Becker and Malmsteen and their ilk play at astoundingly fast speeds, yet remain clear and precise, showing an admirable technique. I'd like to see the average classical flamenco guitarist play a flurry of notes at that speed and not screw up every few notes. You'll find that alot of metal guitarists go back and master classical guitar purely out of interest, after having already built up a sturdy enough library or techniques that makes learning classical guitar a breeze to them.

So, I think you'll find that guitar playing is not as general as you think. Even I have a very sturdy finger style technique, but I've been learning to play like Preston Reed, Justin King and Michael Hedges. And I urge every guitarist reading this to seek out these guitarists (Hedges is dead, however) and rediscover the instrument.

I'm reasonably familiar with Preston Reed and have seen him live once. There is no doubt that he is an incredibly talented and original guitarist but the following just doesn't make sense to me:
    ...outshine ANY classical acoustic guitarist

What is a classical acoustic guitarist? I'm not being smart, I just don't get you.
    Thirdly, there are "classical" guitarists in metal. Jason Becker and Yngwie Malmsteen, who play metal predominantly but have excellent classical technique and even more impressive picking techniques. As well as this, it's all a matter of opinion, whether you prefer acoustic classical technique or electric. Becker and Malmsteen and their ilk play at astoundingly fast speeds, yet remain clear and precise, showing an admirable technique. I'd like to see the average classical flamenco guitarist play a flurry of notes at that speed and not screw up every few notes. You'll find that alot of metal guitarists go back and master classical guitar purely out of interest, after having already built up a sturdy enough library or techniques that makes learning classical guitar a breeze to them.

I totally agree. Any metal guitarist with a base in classical is sure to have excellent technique. (or do you mean that these guitarists have "classical technique" but aren't "classical guitarists") :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Classical acoustic guitarist: a classical guitarist whose instrument of choice would be the acoustic guitar.... I would've thought that was somewhat obvious.... :rolleyes:

classical acoustic guitarist seems like an oxymoron to me but whatever....

And don't roll your eyes at me young man!

Advertisement