Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPAM investment advice

Options
  • 14-04-2005 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have recently started to get a new type of SPAM alongside the Nigerian letters, lottery wins and the unexpected inheritances.

These emails purport to give stock market advice and generally have a breaking news flash about some company that has just discovered Oil in it car park ensuring that its shares will skyrocket.

Unlike the usual email scams these letter don't look for name address and bank account details, they don't even invite a reply.

I can only guess that the scam works out like this: Pick a company whose shares are fairly cheap and buy a tonne of them. Then send out a million emails to people assuring them that this share is hot property and sure to skyrocket. If enough suckers believe you and actually purchase the share then the price will rise - allowing you to sell out quick and make a tidy profit.

If this is the case I am impressed. It implies signifcant planning and investment on the part of the scammer. I'm not even sure that what they are doing is illegal - the emails are loaded with the usual disclaimers that come with investment advice.

Oh wait a miniute - here is an interesting paragraph from the bottom of one of these emails:
    This is not an expert to acquire or se|| securities.
    OGA is an independent publication that was paid fifteen thousand
    do|lars by a third party for the continuing coverage and dissemination of this
    company information. Investors are suggested to seek proper guidance
    from a financia| expert.

So they are more or less telling you that this is a scam - Wow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Roffle :D

OGA is the nigerian word for head scammer. Very funny indeed.
    These guys are not noted for their intelligence.

Advertisement