Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you mix concrete?

Options
  • 14-04-2005 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Taking it down to a very practical level in this one.

Ok, I'm getting ready to erect a concrete panel and post fence. 24 posts in total. This is going to be slow going so I don't thing ordering readymix is an option for me.

So what I would like advice on is:

1. What gravel\sand type do I need to order to create a concrete mix suitable to hold an 8ft concrete post (2 ft in the ground).
    2. In what proportions do I mix the gravel and cement e.g. 1 shovel of cement to every 3 of gravel.
    3. Is there anything else I should add into the mix, I do remember seeing a dark liquid being mixed through concrete in the past.

I'm also going to mix this by hand on a sheet of plywood or similar. I'll be doing the work whenever I get spare time over the next month or so. That makes renting a mixer impracticle.

Any help is (as always) greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nastee_Monkey

wat you want to do is bore the holes a few inches bigger than the posts all around, put a small base of sand at the bottom of the hole only about 2 inches.

mix the cement on a flat surface with a mix of 3 parts sand to 1 part cement and add water gradually until the mix is workable not too wet and not too dry.
    the dark liquid is plasticiser. you don't need to use it, its used for blocking houses or whatever to make the mix easier work with.

place the post in then hole the add the mix gradually and stamp down the mix to compact it every so often.
    do this with every post you should have no probs,

hope this helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Don't forget the aggregates, this adds strength to the concrete, for setting posts.

kadman :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tip: add the mearest smidgen of washing up liquid - just a few drops breaks down the surface tension/acts as a plasticiser or something
    BTW: when I say a few drops - you don't want suds or anything

3:2:1 is the right ratio all right aggregate (gravel) , sand, cement
    Use the minimum amount of water possible while still keeping the mixture workable. The less water used, the stronger the dried, finished product will be.
    - this is the golden rule - excess water leaves more airgaps n' stuff so like cracks n' so on are more likely

Other tip - sugar kills wet concrete - if you screw up then a bag of sugar into the mix will stop it curing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

[QUOTE

Other tip - sugar kills wet concrete - if you screw up then a bag of sugar into the mix will stop it curing.[/QUOTE]

Sweet trick Capt'n.

kadman :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Thats enough to get me started. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement