Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Couple of questions

Options
  • 14-04-2005 10:14am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Windscreen replacement... roughly how much is a windscreen? I don't have insurance cover for free windscreens. What about the mobile fitters, are they generally more expensive? Are they able to come out at short notice, or do you generally have to arrange it well in advance?

NCT failed again this morning on different things than failed only 2 months ago (and had me spending 400 quid to get sorted!)..

Although the side slip / Alignment test is within the limits, he said there is 'fouling' occuring on the 'mounting', and if I get the side slip sorted that should stop this 'fouling'. What on earth is he talking about, is he suggesting that the tyre is making contact with the wheel arch interior at full steering lock, or is it something that is occuring no matter what position the wheel is in?

Also one brake hose is 'perished/chaffed', he didn't know why it did not fail on that only 2 months ago. Nor could he explain why the same windscreen passed 2 months ago (it has a crack in the bottom left corner, underneath my tax/insurance disk holder).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

There was a thread on here this week on "Unfair NCT Failures". Might be worth a look.

If something is borderline pass/fail, then it becomes very subjective and depends on which tester you get ..... one might pass it while the other might fail it.

As for the windscreen, prices vary. You're looking at a couple of hundred anyway I'd say. Some of the mobile repairers don't charge anything extra for coming out, and in my experience they usually come out the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Front windscreen will set you back about €350 to €400. But it really depends on the make of car.

I replaced the front windscreen (stone chipped) on my old 01 Avensis and the bill was for €426 which was covered by insurance (thank God).

Some scumbag then put a brick through my rear windscreen about a month later and it cost almost €350.

Both times Autoglass came out to do the job at a couple of hours notice. They even cleaned up all the bits of shattered glass in the car.

You might want to think about ringing your insurance company and asking them to add windscreen cover to your policy and pay the increase, then make a claim about 2 or 3 weeks later. They may cop on to this though.

Always worth the extra few quid for windscreen cover.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

400 QUID!!!!!!???? no ****!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Make & model does affect price, but don't go on first quote. I've written on this in the past but cannot find it.
    Anyhow I had windscreen replacement on quote, but insurance details were incomplete so I had to get windscreen replaced and then reclaim the money. The first place I rang was the company that insurer had a deal with. They quoted something like 450 yoyos. After a couple of calls I had a quote for I think 150-190; less than 200 yoyos definitely. They called to house, had to leave car for a few hours to let the adhesive set. I even had to call them back as there was a leak and they re-sealed the windscreen without quibble and it's fine now.

Just ring a few companies; there's a lot of variance and tell them you're paying for it yourself. Insurance jobs are quoted much higher. (Why do the insurers allow this???)

Ok have rung 3 places..

AllGlass - 230 + VAT , inc. fitting

AAA Mobile - 268 inc VAT & fit

AutoGlass - 237 inc VAT & onsite fitting

Looks like the insurers are being raped alright, and thus the insurance companies customers.

• Advertisement

DING DING DING..

We have a winner I think..
    Allweather Truck 'n' Autoglass - 200 Euro including VAT and onsite fitting

Advertisement