Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 316 (91-98 model)

Options
  • 14-04-2005 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi, I am buying the above BMW 1.6 model. The car I'm currently looking at is a 1996 reg. with 90k miles on the clock.
    Can anyone who owns\owned this particular model describe their experiences good or bad with this car.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

get it checked out with a diagnostic computer first.! the 316i i bought, as is well documented here (thanks folks) needed a thermo and an idle air valve not too long after purchase. its all well now thou.

e

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

saloon or coupe?
    Get a mechanic to view it with you
    Ensure it has a full service history
    Ensure all electrics work!
    Are there any modifications to it? Are there OEM alloys or aftermarket ones on it?
    Check bodywork for misaligned panels or difference is paint colours (sign of crash damage)
    Ensure it has a half decent NCT period left
    What does it sound like starting from cold (tell the owner you want to hear it start from cold) - any strange noises?
    See if you can take it for a test drive - any handling problems or strange noises?
    There are plenty E36 BMWs around - don't feel you have to settle on any old one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Age please Homer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Little One

320 is a better model than the 316 or 318 - they are only toys. I have had both and the 320 is def the better model and they hold their money better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

528i wrote:
    Age please Homer ?

I'd put a bet down he's 22

• Advertisement

Little One wrote:
    320 is a better model than the 316 or 318 - they are only toys. I have had both and the 320 is def the better model and they hold their money better.
    Actually if going up to a 6 pot then the 325i or later the 323i were better cars and in many cases more fuel efficient but when revved more sporty. However, as the OP is looking for a 316i Im assuming insurance/tax are strong considerations.
    However I would not rule out the 318iS or even the 318ti (compact) which had the revvy M42 [and later the M44] 4 cylinder engines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'd say the 6 pots are much heavier on fuel no? Do these take high miles well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

...Back to the funtime Nikasil issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had a 91' 316 Touring, the GF ran the sh!te out of it because it was under powered. Lovely car to drive , very stylish but you'd be better off with a 325 or if you can't afford it a 320.

@Ricardo - they are more thirsty compared to the 4 pots, but the 2L is regarded as being more thirsty then the 2.5. However, the sound makes it all worthwhile!

As for Nikasil - it didn't affect the M50 2.0 or 2.5L engines (early 320i/325i) (i.e. only M52 engined 320i/323i/328i)

• Advertisement
Advertisement