Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a broadband connection

Options
  • 14-04-2005 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    First post, so please be gentle....
    I have a wireless irish broadband connection.
    I want to share it between three machines using a netgear adsl router.
    The incoming cat5 connects into the radio port on the irish broadband 'transformer type unit thing!' and then the ethernet cable comes out from that. I presume that this is the cable that connects into the ADSL port on the router. But it seems to have a rj11 (telephone) port on it.

Can anyone advise on how i can get this to work :confused:

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

What you need is a bog standard "Router" not an "ADSL router". Your best bet on getting it to work, is to return the "ADSL" router. Basically, anything that says "router" on it, and doesn't say "ADSL" is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

You don't have ADSL so you won't be needing an ADSL router. You just need a router that uses an ethernet connection to your IBB box using cat5 cable.

Your ADSL router connects to an ADSL connection and converts the signal using an 'ADSL modem' into ethernet packets that can be routed to other machines on your home LAN. Howver your IBB box is already outputting ethernet so you just need a plain router.

Can you post the model number of netgear adsl router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Firstly, thanks guys, wow that was quick! I'll be burdoning you with all my problems from now on.

The router is in another building. But i have a 'regular' router knocking around somewhere aswell so i will try that.

Cheers. :)

Okay,
    If anyone is still interested or listening.
    It was a NETGEAR DG834 ADSL Firewall Router.

I took it out, and plugged the Ethernet link from the IBB radio thingy into a switch, which has the pc's and a printer connected to it.

I then changed the ip address, gateway etc of the main pc to those provided by IBB. So i had one pc surfing, great.. But i lost file sharing. So i set up the second machine to the same ip address except i incremented the last 3 digit number by one. Ditto for the printer. Now i have file sharing working, printing working, But, i can only surf on the first machine...

I tried the internet sharing thing (i have xp pro), but there is no actual icon for the internet connection.

Cheers.

(I may be wrong here so feel free to correct me anyone. I presume the thing you get from IBB doesn't have a router built in)

If you had a router, rather than a switch, it would assign IP addresses to your machines and printer (via DHCP) and you wouldn't need to leave one PC always on to share the internet connection with the others.

If you opt to share the connection with windows internet connection sharing you will need two network cards in your PC, one to take the input from your IBB box and the other to route the data to the other PCs. In this configuration your PC is acting as the router and it must always be left on.

• Advertisement

thanks ZaphOd,
    So i need two nic's. That would explain the problem.
    I knew that i'd have to leave one machine on but it isn't a problem because there is only one user. (second machine if for file storage and has a back-up device on it). It would have been nice to use that particular machine to share the internet aswell, because it is left on anyway.
    Maybe i'll put the second nic into it as per your suggestion, and use it as the router aswell.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

I'm new here too and still confused with routers and switches. I have a zyxel router/modem supplied by esat bb. My plan was to connect router/modem to a switch hub and then go from the hub to both computers all via ethernet cable. Would this setup work before I go buying a hub, thanks in advance anyone

Hi,
    I think Zaph0d may have hit the nail on the head. All you need is a standard router, then set up dhcp on the machines, and set the router to the ip settings provided by your isp...

Please remember, blind leading the blind, but this is what i have learned today, and either i am totally right, or totally wrong, or totally kinda right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Nets/Comms style.

hargo wrote:
    I'm new here too and still confused with routers and switches. I have a zyxel router/modem supplied by esat bb. My plan was to connect router/modem to a switch hub and then go from the hub to both computers all via ethernet cable. Would this setup work before I go buying a hub, thanks in advance anyone
    esat bt gave me a Prestige 623R-T1 adsl modem/router. You can just plug a cheap hub into it and plug your PCs into the hub. Here's one from Komplett for €14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Thanks Zaph0d I'll try that.

Advertisement