Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - BOARDS.IE

Options
  • 14-04-2005 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi Folks,

I am evaluating the website Boards.ie as part of a college project. I would be interested to hear from anybody that uses the website on a regular basis.

As a member of Boards.ie how would you describe your interactions with other users of the website?

How would you describe the sense of community amongst users of the website?

Any other comments of your experiences with the website would also be appreciated.

If you have any feedback on the above I would appreciate hearing your comments.

Thanks,

J.

Your anonymity will be protected. Any information gathered will be used for academic purposes only. Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I like boards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well, when I joined boards, I wasn't the most popular of people (to put it mildly), but I went along to a "boards beer", met the people face to face, got a feel for the personalities and thus a better understanding of the tone in which this user may post and they mine, in doing so gained greater acceptance.

Since then I have to say Boards and the people there on have had a major impact on my life, it put me in touch with people I may never have had an opportunity to converse with before, some of these people helped me come to terms with my sexuality, others helped me move to Dublin, got me a job and have been an enormous support throughout.

My current circle of friends were all once but a username on these forums, so anyone who'd claim the internet is anti-social really needs to get into it more
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

WizZard wrote:
    I like boards
    i like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

GaRtH_V wrote:
    i like you.
    Aw, I'm flattered...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

As a member of Boards.ie how would you describe your interactions with other users of the website?

Usually positive - except for regi, he's a bit dodgey tbh.

Amoungst the whole website I don't know but there are several sub-communities and they seem to have a strong bond. In my experience most of them end up knowing each other off-line as well as online

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I like everybody*

*except the hoff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

fearliath wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I am evaluating the website Boards.ie as part of a college project. I would be interested to hear from anybody that uses the website on a regular basis.

Any other comments of your experiences with the website would also be appreciated.

If you have any feedback on the above I would appreciate hearing your comments.

Thanks,

J.

Your anonymity will be protected. Any information gathered will be used for academic purposes only. Thanks.

think of a small town.

take all the hubbub and noise, and put it on a page, and you will soon see the chaos has some order.
    there are central hubs, there are suburbs, there are collections and group much like any social community.
    after all, the only difference between boards and pub, is that no one is too shy to give their opinion (and that one cuts both ways) and that the taps have run dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

don't be sad Regi
    at least he didn't say you were 100% dodgey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Beruthiel wrote:
    don't be sad Regi
    at least he didn't say you were 100% dodgey :D

Pfft, Regi isn't a person, he's just a server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've made some friends through boards. The Unreal forum (now very quiet) got me back into online gaming. Since I got active there we've met up for beers twice (third time is on Saturday). We talk regularily using teamspeak and practically live in IRC and have built up quite a community amongst ourselves. And it all started here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Regi wrote:
    :(

hey!

turn that frown... up-side-down :)

i love you dan. you were always my favourite. even before boards.ie.

wwm = brown noser
    psi wrote:
    Pfft, Regi isn't a person, he's just a server.

did you know that the server smokes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Regi smells of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Compared to the few other internet boards I've been on, boards is unique. There's a great sense of community between people, People are friendlier and more welcoming. I've used a few boards on and off for a while, but for the past 2 years www.boards.ie has been my homepage, and tbh I intend to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

aw, its all getting so emotional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Board.ie is like Life , you just have to play your part, and accept it as it is Warts/Farts and all, until you die :eek: .

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I love you,
    You love me,
    We're a happy family,
    With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you,
    Won't you say you love me too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was more of a community- but as the membership has grown, the small community grew into a small town, then a city. People who have been around for a while will have their own groups of friends- but its very difficult to recognise a lot of people here, its just not as cosy as it might have been some time ago. There are very diverse groups of people here- you'll always find someone to have a discussion with, or a moan at, regardless of what mood you're in. Sometimes it can come across as cliquey- which can be annoying. What Az says about going out for a few beers, meeting people face-to-face and putting a personality behind the words on the screen does help. The mods do one hell of a job- I don't envy them one little bit. When I first came on boards- everyone wanted to be mod- there was an idea that it somehow gave you "power", which is utter and total ****e- it can be difficult keeping people on the sane and narrow. Some forums are rather lively- and if you don't have a very thick skin can be very offputting or insulting.

Don't know if you're going to get much in the way of response on the feedback forum- having a nose around the different options would be good.

BuffyBot wrote:
    I love you,
    You love me,
    We're a happy family,
    With a great big hug and a kiss from me to you,
    Won't you say you love me too.

well..
    i like you
    if that helps...?
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Beruthiel wrote:
    well..
    i like you
    if that helps...?
    :D

I'm a well wisher in that I don't wish you any specific harm.
    think of a small town.

Yeah like twin peaks. Or that American Gothic place. Or the cars that ate Paris. Or the village in the league of gentlemen. Or Mullingar.

Hmmmm bad example.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

if that helps...?

I'll get back to you on that. The sentiment is appreciated though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What do you do in college? Nearly all of your posts are surveys? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Paddy20 wrote:
    Board.ie is like Life , you just have to play your part, and accept it as it is Warts/Farts and all, until you die :eek: .

P.

Warts/Farts - sounds like a viable new forum suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cripes simu! Don't encourage them.

Advertisement