Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike and euro 2500?????

Options
  • 14-04-2005 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking for some help - I've got about 2500 to spend on a motorbike and was wondering what people would recommend - on a provisional license so need to keep it to lowish insurance class????

I like the ride position of the Bandit types.

Any advice welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

What age are you? <25 and you're looking at high costs on any 250+ bandit style bike.
    for 2500, and some careful shopping around you should pick up a 94~96 bandit 250/400 depending on its condition, but expect to pay a lot more on ancillaries, repairs, small things breaking on you etc.
    Most of them have had the piss driven out of them too, i know i roasted my bandit at every opportunity.
    I paid 1500 for a 1990 bandit 250 last june, and estimate i've spent ~1200+ on parts, cosmetics and repairs for it since then. nothing crucial, just 15 year old parts giving up the ghost, and one low speed slide across some gravel and grass.
    Insurance was 780ish for me from carole nash, aged 25, provisional A license and no NCB on a bike.
    call carole nash and get quotes on bandit 250/400s, hornet 250s and the other bikes you are considering, then go buy the newest bike you can afford to insure. or get online quotes from hibernian, although i've never gotten a lower quote from them than CN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

sorry doesn't have to be a bandit - I simply mean that style/riding position!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

How old are you?
    Depending on your age, 2,500 may not even cover insurance on a moped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

age 28!!!!

once its restricted or equiv no prob - the 2500 is just for the bike though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What about a Honda BROS 400?
    Learner legal, and great for commuting etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

sorry doesn't have to be a bandit - I simply mean that style/riding position!!

Yeah, thats why i mentioned the hornet aswell, or a ducati monster 400 would be good. The Bros is also a good one to consider, but you'll have to shop around to get a good one, as a lot of them will have been couriered to death.
    The Honda CB400 superfour is a lovely naked bike aswell.
    there's a pic of my mates one here : http://www.echomadman.com/gallery/Bikes/new_toys_front2
    he's 25 and his insurance on it is ~1000 this year.

Unless its a factory restricted bike you'll pay full whack for insurance as they dont believe that you'll leave it restricted. (CN dont recognise any restrictions at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

echomadman wrote:
    Yeah, thats why i mentioned the hornet aswell, or a ducati monster 400 would be good. The Bros is also a good one to consider, but you'll have to shop around to get a good one, as a lot of them will have been couriered to death.

I'd stay well away from a monster if you don't have too much cash, It'd be near impossible to get one second hand for 2500 and even if you did you'd be forking out a lot more for monster parts than for bros parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

How about a Piaggio Vespa PX200? Great bikes, cool music, friendly funloving people in all the clubs worldwide and in Ireland too...

Vespas are ideal for city streets and even long distance touring. I went to Holland last year on mine with a dozen or so mates for the Holiday in Holland...

http://www.holidayinholland.org.uk/

Here's my clubs homepage with more info
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~mlsc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭2142

I would recommend a Honda Hornet 250. It has a similar riding position to the Bandit. I have owned one for the last 2 years and have found it a great first bike. You should be able to pick one up for about 2500 in buy and sell

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AndyL

I am in a similar boat myself, looking to get a first bike. I thought the 250 hornet was a 40hp bike, which means it's no good for a people on provisionals??

• Advertisement
Advertisement