Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players' Player of the year

• 14-04-2005 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

The nominee's for the PFA player of the year were announced today. The winners will be announced at a gala next month live on Sky Sports.

POTY nominees:
    John Terry (Chelsea)
    Petr Cech (Chelsea)
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    Andrew Johnson (Crystal Palace)
    Stephen Gerrard (Chelsea)
    Thierry Henry (Chelsea)

Young POTY nominees:
    Wayne Rooney (Man Utd)
    Jermain Defoe (Spurs)
    Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough)
    Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man City)
    Arjen Robben (Chelsea)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)

For me, John Terry and Defoe deserve it. Robben would have got the young player but only played less than 4 months.

Teammates can't vote for each other.

Who deserves PFA award? 53 votes

John Terry (Chelsea)
    0% 0 votes
    Petr Cech (Chelsea)
    49% 26 votes
    Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
    9% 5 votes
    Andrew Johnson (Crystal Palace)
    28% 15 votes
    Stephen Gerrard (Liverpool)
    3% 2 votes
    Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
    9% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

eirebhoy wrote:

very funny :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Too close between Terry and Lampard so I just went eeny meany miney mow and Lampard got it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eirebhoy wrote:
    Is he any relation to Steven Gerrard of Liverpool?

I'll give my vote to Lampard, with Terry a close 2nd. If Alonso had been fit for the season, he'd be in there. Henry is a dark horse ... he's walking away with the golden boot this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Has to be John Terry tbh - only 12 goals conceded in 32 league games is fairly outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p.pete wrote:
    Has to be John Terry tbh - only 12 goals conceded in 32 league games is fairly outstanding.

Cech must be in with a shout for the same reason. Terry will get it but Cech has been just as impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Shame not to see Tim Cahill on the list. Has scored ten vital goals for Everton this season.

But would like to see Frank Lamaprd get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It has to be John Terry.
    He is the leader of Chelsea, his determination has made them who they are, and he has played nearly every single premiership game this season, if not all of them.

As for the young player awards:
    I can't see Rooney, Ronaldo, Downing, or Robben getting it.
    I think it would have to be SWG or Defoe, and I'd definally go for Defoe. He has been outstanding this year.

p.s. The person who deserves this award the most is Thomas Graveson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If any liverpool player deserved a nomination it's Jamie Carragher, he's been head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Agreed with the above...

I voted for John Terry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I go for Frank Lampard, he never misses games and is goal scoring midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

John Terry .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Terry will probably get it, but I voted for Cech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ziggy67 wrote:
    I went for Terry but i think Lampard will get it with Terry 2nd & Johnson 3rd.
    Terry will run away with it. Johnson won't come anywhere unless someone from Arsenal votes for him. If anyone is voting for a striker they'll go for Henry for obvious reasons. The highest odds you'll get on Terry on Betfair is 1.05 (put on €100 to win €5), that says it all really. You can get 6.2 on Lampard if you really think he'll win it.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Surprised at those odds. Instead of backing Lampard i will be better of laying Terry- put up a fiver to win a ton, lovely jubbly!
    Thats not how laying works mate. :) When laying you're acting as the bookmaker so are always risking more than what you could potentially win.
    I can't find this market on Betfair, does anyone know where it is?
    Under English soccer - Barclays premiership - player of the year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Henry is a dark horse ...

Careful now, with a little creative mistanslation you could be facing a substantial UEFA fine for racist remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I voted for JT, its v close though.

• Advertisement

Ziggy - Don't mind me! :) Got a bit confused. I never really lay but is there any point in backing Lampard, Gerrard, etc. if you can get more by laying Terry?

BTW - I've just layed Rooney for the young player. Put up €15 to win €100. :)

You've got to wonder why anyone would back the others though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I voted Lampard *cough!* :eek:

WTF is Gerrard doing on that list? Seriously if any Pool player deserved a shout its Carra. This season has not been vintage Stevie G.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Terry will win it imagine. He's the pundits current love-child (rightly so). I think it's a bit odd that Henry is being nearly completely ignored though. He's top scorer and top assister in the premiership. 25 goals in the prem (no penalties, excluding penalties the next nearest is Defoe with 13 goals - that's a stunning gap), 15 assists. No other attacking player comes anywhere close, but I guess it's been a year for defences.

Defoe or Robben deserve the young POTY award. Fabregas should be in that list, not quite sure why Ronaldo is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Terry will win it imagine. He's the pundits current love-child (rightly so).
    Yeah I agree, they love the cavallier attitude. He deserves it though in all fairness. He seems a decent honest bloke and Im sure his fellow professionals think the same.
    I think it's a bit odd that Henry is being nearly completely ignored though. He's top scorer and top assister in the premiership. 25 goals in the prem (no penalties, excluding penalties the next nearest is Defoe with 13 goals - that's a stunning gap), 15 assists. No other attacking player comes anywhere close, but I guess it's been a year for defences.
    Henry has been steadily amazing, yet some people still probably think he has had a quiet year. But I guess he wont mind. Yet another 30+ goal season to his name.
    Defoe or Robben deserve the young POTY award. Fabregas should be in that list, not quite sure why Ronaldo is there.
    I never even thought about Fabregas until you said it. He has been great. But I suppose the people who put forward the shortlist realise he has another 4 or 5 attempts at winning this award so I guess he can wait another year.

I personally think it has to be SWP or Downing, both have been so consistent over the year, as any decent fantasy football manager will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Yeah I agree, they love the cavallier attitude. He deserves it though in all fairness. He seems a decent honest bloke and Im sure his fellow professionals think the same.
    Aye, I can't help but admire him (as a footballer at least). I don't begrudge himself, Lampard, Gallas and Gudjohnsen the success they're getting. They've all been excellent for Chelsea for a while now.

Might be a bit controversial and all but what the hell. Does anyone else think that if Terry had'nt scored 10 goals or so, he would'nt be in the limelight so much? As well as that I think his defending can be a bit suspect at times, but then again no one plays great for 90 mins in every game. I just feel he can be caught out at times, like Rio, he can ball watch a bit. A lot of the time it looks like he's marking no one, but just kind of hovering. He was singled out in the Bayern game by Terry Venebles I think.

Not sure which Bayern player it was but he was running at Terry, he then layed the ball off and continued his run into the box. The camera went with the ball, naturally enough, but when the ball was crossed back in to the BAyern player, Terry got in front of him. Fair play to Terry, it was a good tackle, but Venebles made out he was marking every Bayern player. As a defender, I would consider it my job to follow my player, and if I didnt, I'd consider it a mistake if he scored. Venebles said that no other defender bar Campbell would have done the same. Anyway I've only seen Chelsea in Europe and a handfull of premiership games and maybe I'm nitpicking.

Can't believe I stuck up for Rio there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I think he's better in the air than Carvallho, and also uses the ball well, he doesn't lash it anywhere like some defenders, I disagree about ball watching, he always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
    I have a new chant for Terry, basically the same as Leboeufs.

"He's here, he's there, we're not allowed to swear John Terry John Terry"

Stekelly wrote:
    Might be a bit controversial and all but what the hell. Does anyone else think that if Terry had'nt scored 10 goals or so, he would'nt be in the limelight so much?
    You could say the same about Lampard, even more so. :) I think Terry deserves to win the award and imo would have been there or therabout without his goals. The nominee's are exactly who I would have chosen although I don't know how Gerrard got in there.

It probably wasn't that long ago but does anyone know the last time a Man U player failed to be nominated?

eirebhoy wrote:
    You could say the same about Lampard, even more so. :) I think Terry deserves to win the award and imo would have been there or therabout without his goals. The nominee's are exactly who I would have chosen although I don't know how Gerrard got in there.

It probably wasn't that long ago but does anyone know the last time a Man U player failed to be nominated?

Midfielders (especially attacking ones who shoot everytime they get the ball :D ) are expected to score goals. If Carragher had scored 10 goals he'd probably get a nomination. As it is he seems anonymous to people. The Juve match on Wednesday was a good example, he was on the end of and cleared about 60% of every ball Juve played into the box, at one stage I think he was marking two or three players out of the game at once, but nearly every analysis had Hyypia and Alonso as man of the match. I'm not saying they wer'nt deserving of it, but Carragher was'nt even mentioned. He just seems too anonymous to get a look in.

• Advertisement

Thats because while he is a fantastic player, he isn't a player of the year.

A good nominee for player of the year every year is Ferriera, he never ever ever does not preform, is always a solid player who does his job, but that said, he never overpreforms :) He is consistant, just liek Carragher.

Terry on the other hand, is consistant in his excellence, but then sometimes, a lot this season, makes that extra leap to amazing displays.
    Thats what makes him pla yer of the year

PHB wrote:
    Thats because while he is a fantastic player, he isn't a player of the year.

Well the only thing separating him from th eothers is personality, he seems very quiet and you don't seem to notice him going about his business. That's hardly grounds for denying him a spot, especially against a player he's been far better than (gerrard) , just because Gerrard is more high profile.

Oh dont get me wrong, Gerrard shouldn't be in there, thats just bs.
    But when you compare him to Terry, Terry makes the big preformances and has a huge influence on his team.

You say you don't notice him going about his business, thats true, but then neither do his players. Terry on the other hand lifts the players because he is noticed

ziggy67 wrote:
    Finally got a bet on , the odds drifted a bit to 1.2 which is 1/5 so still pretty short. Terry may well win this but theres no way he is a 1/5 shot.
    I think laying Rooney at the same odds (1.20) is a much better bet. There's no way Terry won't win it but there's a big chance that the premiership players will be that little bit biased against Rooney. I can't see many Arsenal players voting for Rooney for example. Just my opinion though. :)

Advertisement