Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea-Liverpool: Who do you want to make it through?

• 14-04-2005 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Curious to see where the boards support lies on this one.

And yes once again this is NOT 'who do you THINK will make it to the final' it's merely a statement of preference.

Who would you prefer to win the CL semi final? 23 votes

Chelsea
    0% 0 votes
    Liverpool
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

rarrr I get the first vote \o.

My vote went to the blues, been loving the way that they have shaken and scared the big two prem clubs this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Either way, we'll have an Irishman in the final for the first time since Denis Irwin 6 years ago (avoiding injury). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well i want liverpool to win it. if chelsea get knocked out, they have the best chance of the 2 teams of getting back to this stage next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Liverpool

More than anything because i want to see that smug git Mourino get his comeupance.

Benitez is just the man for the job :)

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I would love to see Liverpool go through, but can see Chelsea shading it, but I'm hoping to be proved wrong

Funny how Chelsea got the red poll bar and Liverpool got the blue one :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

The super 'pool all the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Go on the 'pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

If it was Chelsea against Juve or someone else then I'd have backed Chelsea, obviously as a Pool fan my vote was pre-ordained to go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

On Footballing grounds I would like to see Liverpool go through because they have not spent the money Chelsea have and I think Benitze is a good manager . On a minus side of that I'm not sure I will be able to withstand the crowing from Pool fans if they do {not that chelsea fans will be any different but theres a lot less of the for the moment anyway}.

I'll put up with the crowing and wish Liverpool the best of luck as I have done for both quarter final legs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm a UTD fan, and I can't believe I'm saying this but I want Liverpool to win.
    I like Benetiz, I think he is fantastic and a real fans supporter
    I don't like Mourinho as much, although he is intertaining.

Also I think it would be hiliarous if Gerrard has left in the summer already or something, and then Liverpool beat Chelsea, and then Gerrard says he is moving to Chelsea to go onto bigger thigns. That'd be ****ing hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

#20 for us.

get it in there Liverpool :D
    On a minus side of that I'm not sure I will be able to withstand the crowing from Pool fans if they do

'99 against Munich ring any bells?!

jammy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Liverpool v AC final, the mouth waters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Chelsea for me.

Cant get the idea out of my head of what if Liverpool win the compotetion and Everton dont get through to next years competition if we finish fourth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pretty unanimous, Liverpool with the bigger support.

After Chelsea win the league and if they win the CL, I'd like to see the same poll this time next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could be an interesting one for Gerrard. Considering the popular vote is that he's off to Chelsea (personally I thought so at one stage butnow I honestly don't think he's going anywhere). If he has a 'mare people will accuse him of taking a dive, especially if he does eventually go to Chelsea in the summer. So for his own sake, regardless of whether he's off or not , he has to stick it to Chelsea and roll them over.

Oh, I voted for Liverpool obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Chelsea much more intresting to watch,and a Chelsea vs Milan final is quite mouth-watering.

however I want Milan to win the final so Mourinho will shut his mouth for a few months,if he wins we'll never hear the end of it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Go on the pool!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Liverpool will win...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Not a pool fan (c'mon leeds!!) but i voted liverpool. I think someone has to feed moaninho humble pie and there's no better man than benitez to do it. Except maybe nigel worthington but thats because it would be hilarious more than anything else. I think it'd be just rewards for benitez after the poor performances the team has been putting in in the PL.

And it'd be a funny situation for gerard to find himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Gwan the pool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well this might come as a shock but i voted liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

not too much of a surprise there, considering the amount of Irish support Liverpool have traditionally enjoyed, not surprised that (most) Mancs are supporting Chelsea now and Arsenal fans will be supporting the Pool.

Go on you Blues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

No preference for me really....i clicked 'pool though. Just hope that the football is good!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

just to see Moaninho knocked out I would like to see Liverpool but based on the type of football you would expect from two teams with serious attacking players I would like to see a Chelsea v AC game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

er Liverpool as I think we should meet PSV in the final (boy, they'd be an inquiry if that final happened!) :D

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

liverpool v psv would be excellent i think, second year in a row too fairly sub standard sides made it to the final. twud just be a continuance of the recent trend in football.

im supporting liverpool in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Draupnir wrote:
    liverpool v psv would be excellent i think, second year in a row too fairly sub standard sides made it to the final. twud just be a continuance of the recent trend in football.

im supporting liverpool in this game.

When you say sub-standard sides do you mean not Man u ??

Liverpool have beaten some of the best teams in Europe on their way to semis, in last 16 and quarters Man u fans were all about how liverpool would never beat either team, now that they have they are a sub-standard team. Get serious lad, would you like some sugar to make those sour grapes taste better ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

its not sour grapes at all. united got knocked out fair and square by milan. united werent good enough at all. nor were arsenal for that matter. my whole footballing opinion isnt based on being a united fan ya know!

by sub standard i meant that the current liverpool side isnt made up of world class players, in fact they only have 2 imo, gerrard and alonso.

i meant sub standard in terms of European champions. thats all. and no liverpool fan who is honest can say that their current team isnt a poor group of b teamers with a couple of top players thrown in.

dont get me wrong, i was cheering liverpool on last nite, but its not a classic team and it is sub standard.

just a question, who are these best teams in Europe Liverpool have knocked out? Leverkusen? A juventus team with the imagination of an 85 year old alzheimers sufferer?

anyway, thats pretty off topic, but since youre the mod and started the off topicness, ill consider myself justified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I'm a big fan of mourinho, but I'd love to see pool go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im a man utd fan and i want liverpool to win for once :eek:
    i hate chelsea they have enough money and i hate mourinho so so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Needless to say my vote went for the Reds. Today, I was trying to explain to someone not really into football how much of a big deal it would be for me to see Liverpool in the Champions League Final and ....ah shìt, my eyes are welling up again here with the sheer thought of it! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

liverpool. even though i dont want any of them to win it, if one had to i'd pick liverpool but hopefully liverpool will beat chelsea then lose in the final. (from a utd fans view)

chelsea sort of bulldose their way through everything with a massive squad and 1st class 1st 11. it's unnatural as it hasnt really been done before. certainly on this scale and the money spent in 2years. the main reason though i dont want them to beat liverpool though is murinho. he gets more arrogant and attention-seeking every day. ie the whole taxi stunt. commentators never shut up about him the whole match.

liverpool are liverpool and imo, and are a much nicer, fresher club than chelsea with benetiz running it, a fairly modest, quiet character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

well I think chelsea are the better team so i'll go with them on this one. They've played some really good football so I think they will probably give AC Milan a better fight than Liverpool would.

Still I guess whoever goes through will deserve it so fair play. I just hope the tie is decided by football either way and not conterversial referee decisions.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Liverpool, naturally! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Chelsea all the way the final with Milan, (but lets not underestimate PSV) would be interesting cause the they've been tight in previous years, the 1-1 where little Dennis Wise cancelled out Schevchenkos header, a terrific game.
    Robben is back for Liverpool game, great timing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I'm a Liverpool fan so obviously I was them to progress. Three defeats against Chelsea doesn't make me feel overly confident. The game at Stamford Bridge was awful, thety deserved the win but weren't very good themselves. We were robbed of a penalty at Anfield and maybe it would have been a draw. I think in the Cup final we would've held on if not for Gerrards mistake.
    I think most neutrals want Liverpool to win, partly because we will be the underdogs and partly because Rafa Benitez is a likeable chap that even Man U and Arsenal fans find hard to dislike.
    Poor old Steven Gerrard now has to play the two best games of his life in order to "get his revenge" after the cup final. IMO it will be Alonso that will be the biggest influence as he has been anytime he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

As a Utd. supporter I find myself in the awkward position of wanted Liverpool to win. Although I would like to see Duffer get a Champion's league winner's medal (but I'm sure he'll get plenty more chances in the future)

The reason why I don't Chelsea to win it is for a couple of reasons.
    1. I don't think it's right that you can just go out and buy a title. and,
    2. Even though I really like Mourinho and at the moment his arrogant nature is quite entertaining, just imagine what he'd be like if he won the CL and the PL this season considering he won The UEFA Cup in 2003, then CL in 2004. He'd be unbearable.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    1. I don't think it's right that you can just go out and buy a title.

i really don't get why people continually say this? Pretty much all the top teams spend a lot of money on good players.

I mean Rooney alone cost as much as Robben, Peter Chec and some other good chelsea player.

At the end of the day what is it that seperates the top teams of europe or any league with the other teams? It's money and the ability to get the good players.

I find this kind of statement extremely hypocritical coming from a United fan.
    Please tell me? what do you think justify's winning the title? Should only teams that spend X amount of money deserve it. This kind of statement reeks of jealousy really.

It's like, up till now we were able to spend the most money and win with little compitition from the other clubs in the premiere league. Now someone else has more money than us and is doing the same to us that we do to all the smaller clubs. :jealous:

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote:
    i really don't get why people continually say this? Pretty much all the top teams spend a lot of money on good players.

I mean Rooney alone cost as much as Robben, Peter Chec and some other good chelsea player.

At the end of the day what is it that seperates the top teams of europe or any league with the other teams? It's money and the ability to get the good players.

I find this kind of statement extremely hypocritical coming from a United fan.
    Please tell me? what do you think justify's winning the title? Should only teams that spend X amount of money deserve it. This kind of statement reeks of jealousy really.

It's like, up till now we were able to spend the most money and win with little compitition from the other clubs in the premiere league. Now someone else has more money than us and is doing the same to us that we do to all the smaller clubs. :jealous:

It's probably because Chelsea have spent more money in the last two years than any other english club has spent in the last 30 years.

I don't believe the bit in bold is true . Would you have figures to back that up particulaly betweem 1986 and 2002. After that united were big spenders but it didn,t win them too many titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

BaZmO* wrote:
    1. I don't think it's right that you can just go out and buy a title.

Hahaha. Of course United grew all their players from thin air with pixie dust I suppose? They would never spend £29 million on a defender, £19 million on a striker, £27 million on a 19 year old knacker, £28 million on Veron etc. etc. etc.

Hahaha. Of course United grew all their players from thin air with pixie dust I suppose? They would never spend £29 million on a defender, £19 million on a striker, £27 million on a 19 year old knacker, £28 million on Veron etc. etc. etc.

What have United won since those signings?

BTW I don't think Newcastles Fans are in any position to be calling other teams players "Knackers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

well being an everton fan, Liverpool having these two massive European games could be a good thing...as long as Chelsea win...liverpool have a game every 3/4 days in the next 3 weeks, tough going...

16 April Liverpool v Tottenham
    20 April Portsmouth v Liverpool
    23 April Crystal Palace v Liverpool
    27 April Chelsea v Liverpool
    30 April Liverpool v Middlesbrough
    03 May Liverpool v Chelsea
    08 May Arsenal v Liverpool

..though i think Liverpool can do it against Chelsea, like Chelsea as underdogs beat Arsenal in 1/4s last season...but surely Milan will be one big gun too much though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Of course I'm not jealous. I'm a Utd. supporter but as I've said numerous times, I'm not a die-hard supporter. I like watching good football, however imo I think it's extremely unfair and and unhealthy for the game in general if someone can just come into the game and buy a team and whatever players they want.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

liverpool of course. There is a touch of mercanaries about Cheski. Liverpool have been playing some good football too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Last year CHelsea were mercanaries, but that doesn't buy success. What buys success is a top quality manager, so if you want to argue that then perhaps he bought the premiership by hiring Mourinho, but I don't envy trying to make that arguement :)

Either way, whatever you say, CHelsea deserve to win the PM due to their preformance.

I don't however think they deserve to win the CL, cause I havn't been that impressed with their preformances. But I'm biased :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The Muppet wrote:
    What have United won since those signings?

you can hardly determine that Chelski are any worse than Utd merely because they made it work!!

Though looking at some of Fergusons detractors and that list of signings, they may have a point! Not that any of them have been failures per se, more that he's been backed, the spend has been significant.

Not that LFC can claim to have been hard done by, just backed the wrong manager for too long.

The Muppet wrote:
    It's probably because Chelsea have spent more money in the last two years than any other english club has spent in the last 30 years.

I don't believe the bit in bold is true . Would you have figures to back that up particulaly betweem 1986 and 2002. After that united were big spenders but it didn,t win them too many titles.

they haven't won titles but they are still in the "top" 2-3 teams of the premiereship, and are also a good team in europe.

The point is that the teams that are more successful in europe and in the domestic leagues tend to be the one with the most money to spend?

Especially if we look at the English PL. What are the top 3 sides now?

Chelsea, Arsenal , United? Is it a complete and utter cooincidence that these are also the teams that have the most money to spend on players? Especially when compared with a team like say Charlton?

Please tell me, what United have that Charlton don't have that makes the big difference? It wouldn't be the ability to afford a manager like Alex Feurgesson and players like Van Nist, Rio , Heinze etc ?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Of course I'm not jealous. I'm a Utd. supporter but as I've said numerous times, I'm not a die-hard supporter. I like watching good football, however imo I think it's extremely unfair and and unhealthy for the game in general if someone can just come into the game and buy a team and whatever players they want.

B.

really but it's okay that United can afford much better players and managers and coaches than charlton or norwich? Is that fair?

If it's fair for United to have a lot more money than charlton, then i'll say it's fair for Chelsea to have more money than United.

• Advertisement
Advertisement