Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea-Liverpool: Who do you want to make it through?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The type of spending Chelsea has done in the last year is unprecedented in the league. I,m not jealouse of them as football is big business now and thats how it goes. As I said Chelsea have spent more in two years than any other club has in 20 . That's fact, that level of spending has not been seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

the spending that United did was far beyond anyone else in the prem before chelsea came along, Utd fans weren't complaining then are it's a bit rich (pardon the expression) for them to be moaning about chelsea splashing the cash now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think theres a difference between spending from football money and spending from outside money.
    United's + Arsenal + liverpool's money came from footballing profits, like ticket sales, shirt sales, compo money. It was somewhat built up over time.
    Chelsea on the other hand, jsut got a ****load of mone from some outside invester. I'd imagine that creates some of the hatred people have for it.

That said, who cares. I'm confident that United and Liverpool will be on top, or near the top in 20 years. Chelsea wil probably be in the second division if they manage to get lucky and manage their debt, so what can you do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

hmmmm I really dont know who I will pick,

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Liverpool

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB said it right. Of course United have spent a load in the last 20 years, they spent about £200m in the the last 7/8. Its where the money comes from is what people should be bitter about, not how much is spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

C'mon Liverpool! I'd love to see Benitez win the CL in his first season with the 'Pool, top guy.

It has to be done, let's see if Chelsea like beating a team three times domestically then getting knocked out of the CL by them... :)

Oh, and with regards to Chelsea and their spending - the point is that the other teams earned it. I grudgingly respect Man United for their achievements, they've earned them - and they've earned their money. What have Chelsea done to earn the ability to be able to throw money around like no other team in the world? Nothing. A Russian Oligarch decided he wanted to play real life fantasy football, and Chelsea were the team that he picked out of the hat.

Chelsea's newly found spending power has definately made the premiership more interesting (at least for now, if they end up dominating like other teams did in the past it'll be a sad state of affairs), but they won't be getting much praise from me. Gift another team a squad of top players and Europe's reigning champion as manager and see if they can't do just as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The thing about Mourinhos spending which I like though, and in particular in comparison to Ranieri, is that Mourinho has gone out and bought relatively unproven players.

People like Cech, Drogba, Tiago, Kezman, Jarosik, are all unproven at the highest level. While Carvalho and Ferriera won the CL last year they were hardly household names. And Robben also (although Im not sure which manager actually signed him). Mourinho has made excellent signings, not just big money ones. All the players he has bought have a huge hunger.

Now compare that to Ranieri who under Abramovich bought the likes of Veron, Crespo, Mutu, and Geremi. It just goes to show it takes more than money to build a team. You need money on the right players.

But despite all my admiration for Mourinho and Chelsea, Im still obviously going for Liverpool to win this and go on to win their fifth European title. :D

The thing about Mourinhos spending which I like though, and in particular in comparison to Ranieri, is that Mourinho has gone out and bought relatively unproven players.

People like Cech, Drogba, Tiago, Kezman, Jarosik, are all unproven at the highest level. While Carvalho and Ferriera won the CL last year they were hardly household names. And Robben also (although Im not sure which manager actually signed him). Mourinho has made excellent signings, not just big money ones. All the players he has bought have a huge hunger.
    He didn't sign Cech or Robben (Chelsea's two best Abramovich signings by quite a way imo). None of the others have been value for money (at least in the terms of every club in the world bar Chelsea).

Proven is a fairly relative term. Drogba, Carvalho and Ferreira in particular may not have been Galactico's but they were the names on everyone's tongues last summer after oustanding seasons and were big buys (not just monetarily). Drogba is a good player but at £24m he looks more Heskey than Henry. Carvalho is also a very good player, but I can't imagine too many teams spending that much money on a CB when they already had a better partnership in place. I'd be very surprised if other people considered Ferreira, Tiago, Jarosik and Kezman (hehehe) excellent buys. One or two borderline good signings, maybe.

He didn't sign Cech or Robben (Chelsea's two best Abramovich signings by quite a way imo). None of the others have been value for money (at least in the terms of every club in the world bar Chelsea).
    Are you certain that Mourinho didnt have any input in the signing of Cech? I find it hard to believe that he didnt seeing as he immediately came out and claimed that Cech would be his number one before either GK had played a game. Surely a new manager if he had two world class keepers would give both a look, unless he had eyed Cech for a while.
    Proven is a fairly relative term. Drogba, Carvalho and Ferreira in particular may not have been Galactico's but they were the names on everyone's tongues last summer after oustanding seasons and were big buys (not just monetarily).
    But it takes balls to sign players after one season of form. If Chelsea didnt sign these players Im not sure we would be seeing them at any of the "top European clubs" this year. It also takes skill to ensure that these players bought on the back of a season or two of good form are successes, which they all have been.
    Drogba is a good player but at £24m he looks more Heskey than Henry. Carvalho is also a very good player, but I can't imagine too many teams spending that much money on a CB when they already had a better partnership in place.
    Drogba hardly looks more Heskey. People keep knocking him, failing to recognise that he has been injured for long parts of the season. He will be a great player.

And Carvalho is a class act. A way more complete and subtle defender than Terry, but Terry will always get the praise because of his style.
    I'd be very surprised if other people considered Ferreira, Tiago, Jarosik and Kezman (hehehe) excellent buys. One or two borderline good signings, maybe.
    Name a right back who has been better than Ferreira this year. There aint many. The other three have been squad players, but have all played a part in getting the team where they are. And for all Kezmans faults, I still think he could be a class player, Ill give him another season before I judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah, Carvalho and Ferreira are quality quality players.
    Mourinho has brought success, but the great buys havn't been him, they have been United's :)
    Cech and Robben have been long term goals of United, but when Kenyon left he took all this info with him, and bought em :) ****er!
    :P

p.s. Kezman is the next Van Nist, just needs some confidence

Are you certain that Mourinho didnt have any input in the signing of Cech? I find it hard to believe that he didnt seeing as he immediately came out and claimed that Cech would be his number one before either GK had played a game. Surely a new manager if he had two world class keepers would give both a look, unless he had eyed Cech for a while.
    Well, that's open to speculation.
    But it takes balls to sign players after one season of form. If Chelsea didnt sign these players Im not sure we would be seeing them at any of the "top European clubs" this year. It also takes skill to ensure that these players bought on the back of a season or two of good form are successes, which they all have been.
    Quite likely considering Marseille were refusing to sell Drogba for any kind of reasonable money. As I recall, Real Madrid and others were looking to sign Carvalho. Mourinho has done well with the players he has, but the transfer market isn't where Mourinho does anywhere near his best work.
    Drogba hardly looks more Heskey. People keep knocking him, failing to recognise that he has been injured for long parts of the season. He will be a great player.
    Perhaps, or he may end up being replaced and disappearing. My housemate is a Chelsea fan so I've had the fortune/misfortune :p of seeing a lot of Drogba this season. Neither of us are particularily impressed with his frequently awful finishing and rapist-like touch. Great physical presence though, despite his swanning.
    And Carvalho is a class act. A way more complete and subtle defender than Terry, but Terry will always get the praise because of his style.
    Yes he is. £19m(?) when you've got Terry and Gallas though...
    Name a right back who has been better than Ferreira this year. There aint many. The other three have been squad players, but have all played a part in getting the team where they are. And for all Kezmans faults, I still think he could be a class player, Ill give him another season before I judge.
    As with every year in the premiership, I struggle when I come to the RB position in the team of the season. Neville, Lauren, Ferreira, Finnan, Carr etc - None of them are exactly world-class.

Cech was signed at the start of February, I doubt Mourinho was even contacted by Chelsea at that time as Chelsea were still in with a chance of all major trophies (they're hardly going to sack Ranieri after doing the treble).

Well, that's open to speculation.
    Just as claims that Mourinho didnt sign him is.
    Mourinho has done well with the players he has, but the transfer market isn't where Mourinho does anywhere near his best work.
    Im not saying it is. But I think he has made good of the players hes brought in.
    Perhaps, or he may end up being replaced and disappearing. My housemate is a Chelsea fan so I've had the fortune/misfortune :p of seeing a lot of Drogba this season. Neither of us are particularily impressed with his frequently awful finishing and rapist-like touch. Great physical presence though, despite his swanning.
    Ive discussed in the other thread why I rate Drogba, a lot of people are casting final judgements on this guy, and despite the dislike I have for him, Im not going to do the same yet.
    Yes he is. £19m(?) when you've got Terry and Gallas though...
    So what, now you have Terry, Gallas, and Carvalho. Exceptional not to mention young players like Carvalho dont come along all to often.
    As with every year in the premiership, I struggle when I come to the RB position in the team of the season. Neville, Lauren, Ferreira, Finnan, Carr etc - None of them are exactly world-class.
    If Ferreira isnt world class who is? I dont think Ive seen Ferreira make a mistake yet, or even have a bad game.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Cech was signed at the start of February, I doubt Mourinho was even contacted by Chelsea at that time as Chelsea were still in with a chance of all major trophies (they're hardly going to sack Ranieri after doing the treble).
    Was it that early? If so I hold my hands up.

If Ferreira isnt world class who is? I dont think Ive seen Ferreira make a mistake yet...
    Short memory...;) Chelsea v Barca. :) He's actually very fond of giving away penalties (Barca, Man City, Slovakia this season alone).
    Was it that early? If so I hold my hands up.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/3411707.stm

• Advertisement

Just as claims that Mourinho didnt sign him is.
    The difference is, he was signed in Feb (apparently, see above).
    Ive discussed in the other thread why I rate Drogba, a lot of people are casting final judgements on this guy, and despite the dislike I have for him, Im not going to do the same yet.
    I haven't passed final judgement on him, only what i've seen so far. The game recently where he missed about 7 gilt-edged chances was a pretty good example of what I've come to expect of Drogba.
    So what, now you have Terry, Gallas, and Carvalho. Exceptional not to mention young players like Carvalho dont come along all to often.
    So I don't see him as being an excellent signing (not yet anyway). Gallas and Terry have looked better together and 19M on a back-up CB doesn't seem like the best spent money in the world.
    If Ferreira isnt world class who is? I dont think Ive seen Ferreira make a mistake yet, or even have a bad game.
    Well, then he obviously hasn't made any. He's a solid defender and makes decent runs but he doesn't seem to be any better than a lot of the fullbacks out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Ferreria is a step up from Mario Melchiot anyway, who was a jack of all trades and master of none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Muppet wrote:
    What have United won since those signings?

BTW I don't think Newcastles Fans are in any position to be calling other teams players "Knackers".

Errr, so it's okay to spend a fortune as long as you don't win anything? OK that makes sense...

Rooney is a knacker through and through, he's going the way of Gazza, no doubt about it. As for trying to besmirch the reputation of well-known gentlemen like Lee Bowyer, that's just outrageous.

Advertisement