Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne Rovers Merger???

• 14-04-2005 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I kid you not.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/fincass/GaryBrown.jpg

Former Shels chairman Gary Brown has called for a merger between the two clubs.

I, for one. think this is the most ridiculous pile of tripe anyone has ever spoken about the eL.

Get a grip man.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

This is utter nonsense !! Brown has lost the plot. Stupid idea ! NOOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Merging two of yesterdays clubs sounds like a good idea to me, this way they can stick together when talking of their former glories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Shelbourne Rovers.

It would seem that there are to many eL clubs in the Dublin area but this merger sounds crazy. The 2 sets of fans really dislike each other so who would end up supporting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    Merging two of yesterdays clubs sounds like a good idea to me, this way they can stick together when talking of their former glories!

:confused:

Shelbourne are the Champions, or has that escaped your notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sounds like a great idea to me, but then again, I'm not a fan. It focuses the support of people in Dublin behind fewer clubs and that would result in the EL becoming more and more powerful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Aren't Rovers a southside club and Shelbourne a northside club?

Aren't Rovers a southside club and Shelbourne a northside club?

Shelbourne currently play in Drumcondra on the Northside but are originally from Ringsend on the Southside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well you can see the method in his madness I suppose. Shels have a decent infrastructure but few fans, Rovers have the opposite problem, but I can't ever see it happening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Any news on Shels move out to Donabate...?

PHB wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea to me, but then again, I'm not a fan. It focuses the support of people in Dublin behind fewer clubs

In theory but I don't think that would actually happen. People support clubs, not franchises. As an example, if Rovers got 2000 per home match and Shels got 2000 per home match and they merged they wouldn't get 4000 per home match. In fact, their supporters dislike each other so much they'd probably get less than they currently have.

If you were starting the eL like MLS in the States from year one you'd probably include a Dublin Northside and Dublin Southside club but you couldn't do something like that to established clubs.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Sounds like a great idea to me, but then again, I'm not a fan. It focuses the support of people in Dublin behind fewer clubs and that would result in the EL becoming more and more powerful

More like alienate the current supporters of both clubs.

I know I would never support this hybrid club, and couldn't support Bohs. Pat's doesn't even bear thinking about, nor do so-called Dublin City.

I don't know where this club would get fans, as the Rovers fans would also hate this, it's a pity we don't have a Rovers supporter on here.

This idea is total bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Some of the above posts mustnt be coming from Shels supporters. Shelbourne Rovers ?? FFS ! Not a chance.

Shels are moving to donebate or lisadel (spell?) in the next few seasons. There is no chance were merging with that Roddie Collins outfit.

Some of the above posts mustnt be coming from Shels supporters. Shelbourne Rovers ?? FFS ! Not a chance.

I was being ironic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Shels have a decent infrastructure but few fans

Sorry but this is complete nonsense. It's alright when it's rubbish banter coming from opposition fans, afterall that's all they have, talking about the football side of it would depress them, but it's another story when you're stating it as fact like that. Shelbounre get amoungst the best attendences in the league, on foot.ie when the attendences were taken in guesstimate form mostly (Something which has since been proved as being suprisingly accurate) Shels had the third best attendences, a tiny fraction seperating ourselves and second placed Bohs with Cork dwarfing the rest of the league on top. Before you say it, this did NOT take into account anything other than league games, so 24,000 v Deportivo didn't inflate the average. This year our attendences are as good as you'll find in the league (Again bar Cork) espically when you take into account the fact that the home sides we've faced so far have not exactly been glamour opponents. We're averageing over the 2,500 mark for our three home games so far, which is well above average in the EL. This seasons figures are now offical and exact and not rounded guesstimates, though the guesstimates were shown to be very accurate and close to reality anyway.

This nonsense is getting very tireing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Slash/ED wrote:

This nonsense is getting very tireing.

Nonsense?

When Bohs WON the league they averaged 5k a game , when we won 4 in the 90s we averaged 6k a game as champions, Cork get 11k ffs.
    Yet you are back to back winners and having played Depor (2nd highest publicty spurring game in recent times) are happy with 2500?

Thats not nonsense its pathetic, Pats had 3k(3019 irc which was bollix far more than that) at home to Bohs 3 weeks ago, 2 k at home to Harps last week, yet we just escaped relegation and compelte shutdown. Shels are the best team and club in the league and will be rightly ridiculed for their lack of fans by the rest of us until they sell out Tolka on a week to basis and tickets are being touted outside (i seen that in Richmond lots of times). Funny tho how most shels fans are happy with 2.5k after winning 2 in a row. Obviously Man Utd werent on tv that night or it wasnt raining :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KdjaC wrote:
    Nonsense?

When Bohs WON the league they averaged 5k a game , when we won 4 in the 90s we averaged 6k a game as champions, Cork get 11k ffs.
    Yet you are back to back winners and having played Depor (2nd highest publicty spurring game in recent times) are happy with 2500?

Thats not nonsense its pathetic, Pats had 3k(3019 irc which was bollix far more than that) at home to Bohs 3 weeks ago, 2 k at home to Harps last week, yet we just escaped relegation and compelte shutdown. Shels are the best team and club in the league and will be rightly ridiculed for their lack of fans by the rest of us until they sell out Tolka on a week to basis and tickets are being touted outside (i seen that in Richmond lots of times). Funny tho how most shels fans are happy with 2.5k after winning 2 in a row. Obviously Man Utd werent on tv that night or it wasnt raining :rolleyes:

kdjca

are you giving out because a club doesn't have bandwagon supporters ? , or at least many of them .

You have your core fans and your sunshine fans, no matter how much core fans hate sunshine fans, they are needed and once they paying into the ground its all good.

Champions should have sunshine fans, we did Bohs did Derry did, if Shels do indeed have them (which i think they do) your right back to 400 a league game if not champions by end of season.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Nonsense?

First of all that 5k figure is complete and utter bollocks. The year they finished second to us, two seasons back right after winning the league, they averaged around the 2,500 mark as they do now. That was when they started publishing offical figures. Are you saying that 2,500 people on average decided to stop supporting Bohs the year after they won the league during a season when they were in contention right up until the end, coincidentally when offical attendence figures were published? Yes, sure thing :rolleyes:

I highly doubt you averaged 6k, you had the master of lies managing you coming up with those figures and from my own eyes I very much doubt that, no offical attendences to go by however. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the Cork thing is a joke.

I'm not happy with 2,500, just saying it's above EL average, we get amoungst the highest crowds in the league and I would imagine this season with Bohs going backwards we will finish with the second highest average attendence. All EL attendences are ****, but ours are good by EL standards, which shows opposition fan myths to be just that.

kdjca

3,019 in a Dublin Derby is ****ing pathetic, in all fairness, given the amount of away fans at them. Are you saying Pats lied about the attendence? Why? If they were to lie they would lie by inflating them. Or is it you've been over estimating Pats crowds your whole life and now when the offical figures come out you can't believe them? Known as Corkies disease, that.

1,410 was the attendence at the Pats Finn Harps match, not 2k. Not the first complete lie I've seen you come up with on this site re: Pats attendences, I have to admit :)

2,583 were at Shels v Waterford, a team who would have a similar 'draw' (IE little to none) and similar traveling support. Identical to the crowds Bohs were getting against similar opposition during their recent 'golden period'.

We should be getting more fans as should every team in the country but we are no different to the rest. We get amoungst the best crowds in the EL and as soon as matches against teams like Cork and Bohs roll around our average attendence will go up even more. I'm not happy with it, but relative to the rest of the EL, our crowds are good.

So yes, nonsense.

KdjaC wrote:
    Funny tho how most shels fans are happy with 2.5k after winning 2 in a row.

KdjaC, what can me or Slash/ED, or in fact any other Shles fan do about this. We do go to games, and we can see for ourselves that the crowds aren't as good as they should be.

I have never once said that I am happy with low attendances at any eL ground.

Having a go at Shels fans posting on here is a nonsense in my opinion

Pats when in winning league mode averaged 6k every game , ffs you could buy tickets of touts, this is how i add up Pats figures its quite simple i break it down for you.

2500 seats = 2500 people, keeping up so far?
    250 behind the canal
    1800 along the canal
    1350 in Shed
    =

Now thats not fully packed our highest Attd ever vs Cork in 98 was 7000 people there wasnt an inch anywhere in the ground (seriously unsafe).
    Thats our highest ever, we were soon to be champions,tickets were being touted outside the ground.

Now if we do some simple maths on Bohs ground and count the amount of seats they have 3000 seats in the Jodi stand and when champions filled that stand and away fans on the other side, well lets see now (we would have about 400 or500 fans) thats 3500 without the goal end taken into account where Bohs core fans would be. I think 5k would be a near exact number.

Now Sherlock with your wise deductions wouldnt that be an easier way to count attds?

And for the Bohs game the stand was full and the Canal side was near full and this season noone behind the Canal end and about 200 in the shed. Seemed more than 3019 to me.

And Sean its
    1, Crap i know i used to do head counts ffs hoping for large crowds,
    2, Shels fan posts how they have great support and lack of alleged support is nonsense, wrong when others have won the league and near double the amount of fans.
    3 I dont really like Shels.
    4 Really really dont like them.
    5. Cant wait for morrow night :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Pats when in winning league mode averaged 6k every game , ffs you could buy tickets of touts, this is how i add up Pats figures its quite simple i break it down for you.

2500 seats = 2500 people, keeping up so far?
    250 behind the canal
    1800 along the canal
    1350 in Shed
    =

Now thats not fully packed our highest Attd ever vs Cork in 98 was 7000 people there wasnt an inch anywhere in the ground (seriously unsafe).
    Thats our highest ever, we were soon to be champions,tickets were being touted outside the ground.

Now if we do some simple maths on Bohs ground and count the amount of seats they have 3000 seats in the Jodi stand and when champions filled that stand and away fans on the other side, well lets see now (we would have about 400 or500 fans) thats 3500 without the goal end taken into account where Bohs core fans would be. I think 5k would be a near exact number.

Your logic seems to be because the seats are there they were filled. This isn't the case, the released attendences prove that. Answer me please where the 2,500 went the season after despite the fact Bohs were still challenging for the league then? What a coincidence they all stopped attending when the offical figures started coming out, truly odd that.

Incidentally, the Jodi is 2,700 and the main stand in Richer holds 2,000 afaik. But that's neither here nor there.

EDIT - The Jodi is 2742

Our highest attendence in a league game was higher than 7,000 btw :) Title decider v Bohs with the Bobby Ryan header, close to a sell out, which is impressive in Tolka Park.
    Now Sherlock with your wise deductions wouldnt that be an easier way to count attds?

I prefer to go with offical numbers given by the people who would know the exact numbers but that's just me.

Sorry and all, but all you have on Shels is crowds, and that's made up nonsense. I know it hurts, but what can I do?

Also the reason tickets were being touted outside Richmond is because of the size of the stadium. For big Dublin Derbies Shels have gotten crowds that would have had the ticket touts outside Tolka if it was the size of Richmond.

According to Bohs website its 3k and ours is 2500.

Did you go to Richmond from 96 to 99?
    Did you go to Dalymount in 00?
    Or Derry in 97 irc?

If you have would you not agree all grounds were near damn full.

Oh and about the official attds, do you honestly believe that the attds from that time period were correct?
    The game i refered to vs Cork its official Attd in the Star and Mirror was 3900.

Why would they have taken 3100 of it? .....LOL

kdjac

Clubs here don't pay taxes on gates, if that's what your implying. There is no incentive to lie about crowds.

Attendences in the Star and Mirror aren't 'offical', they are complete guesses. Offical crowds coming from people involved in the club, as Bohs, Shels and Pats currently are, ARE offical.

2742 is the capacity of the Jodi according to "Bohs till I die" who is involved with the club and would know.

Yes I went to Dalyer and Richer during those eras and I'm sorry but the crowds in Dalymount weren't that different to what they are now, and the offical numbers say that your 5k is the biggest most laughable pile of manure I've ever read. How you can argue with offical numbers is amazing.

I'm sorry but Shels crowds now are as good as Bohs crowds were during their glory period recently. Unlucky.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Yes I went to Dalyer and Richer during those eras and I'm sorry but the crowds in Dalymount weren't that different to what they are now, and the offical numbers say that your 5k is the biggest most laughable pile of manure I've ever read. How you can argue with offical numbers is amazing.

I'm sorry but Shels crowds now are as good as Bohs crowds were during their glory period recently. Unlucky.

You left out that crowds in Richer i posted above very obviously wrong too, i believe they were nearer 5k in Dalymount than 2500 you posted as the stand was always full when we played there and we on opposite side about 500 of us and the shed would be full of nice people around 1500 = 4500 so my 5k isnt that far off?

But your Shelbourne the best club/team/champions in Ireland and yet your attd are still far lower than others when champions, its not rocket science to suggest that saying Shels have **** all fans isnt nonsense but actually correct. As stated in my 1st post in subject to your post of "nonsense".

kdjac

I left out the crowds in Richer as the offical attendences will never be known, simple enough really.

If you're utterly laughable fabrication of a 5k average for Bohs figure is true where did the 2,500 go when offical figures started being announced?

You're also making the mistake of taking a crowd of a Dublin Derby as an average ffs. It's possible they got 4,500 at Dublin Derbies, of course they did, Shels have gotten more than that. You're selective crowd counts are pathetic.

As a season long average Bohs, at their peak, averaged around the 2,500 mark, a little bit over I think, around 2,700 to be exact. The way Shels crowds are this season so far we will end up with an average around the 2,700/3,000 mark, as we're over 2,500 atm without any of the attractive big draw matches, that will greatly increase when Bohs/Cork etc come to town.

Slash/ED wrote:
    I left out the crowds in Richer as the offical attendences will never be known, simple enough really.

............................ You're selective crowd counts are pathetic.

They will never be known for the same reason many others will never be known, and the selective crowds i was at them games!

We would have 500 being **** at the time they would be good and therefore have 4k+.

Didnt add in when we were good, we would have 1k+ at the games and they would have about 2ish as the point was they were champions and thus had more fans. And you are champions and still dont have as much as previous champions.

And as you talking about averages so much in a 12 team league where 6 of the clubs are from dublin would that be an average...LOL?

kdjac

Look, I'm sorry and all, but Bohs the season they contended for the league until the last hurdle and were champions the previous year averaged around 2,700, that's a fact, arguing with it is very entertaining but ultimately pointless. We're on course to average around that if not more going by the crowds we've gotten against teams who normally produce our lowest crowds of the season.

Unlucky, stop whinging about it and find a new slag, stick another dollar sign into our name or something creative like that. Go on, it'll do you good.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Unlucky, stop whinging about it and find a new slag, stick another dollar sign into our name or something creative like that. Go on, it'll do you good.

Would prefer a point or 3 tomorrow night tbh.

kdjac

You can always dream.

When was the last time you beat us in Tolka anyway? Has been sometime

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    You can always dream.

When was the last time you beat us in Tolka anyway? Has been sometime

Jesus would it be when you, no us, no you, no us, no you won the league?

Getting a bit of complex there Slash about the whole Attd thing and being so well loved by other fans. You get over it dont worry.

kdjac

It probably would be that long yeah.

And no complex, I love being hated by opposition fans, it gets me through the day. Nobody hated us when we were **** :) Just putting to bed some lies.

Slash/ED wrote:

And no complex, I love being hated by opposition fans, it gets me through the day. Nobody hated us when we were **** :)

I did.

kdjac

Somehow I saw that coming :D

Fair play to you so. If it's any consolation, now that Pats are **** I still hate them too :)

Advertisement