Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Contract Rates

Options
  • 14-04-2005 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me on the current state of the IT software contract market. I'm interested to know what the current daily rates and are and how difficult contracts are to find.

I'm particularily interested in VB/C/C++ and database development. I was contracting between 2000-2002 where my daily rate was £300 (about €340). I'm thinking of returning to contract work and would like to know how the market has changed in the last couple of years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

masterK wrote:
    £300 (about €340).
    About €391 actually. Typical software contractor, ignorant of client needs and finacial reality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

masterK wrote:
    I'm thinking of returning to contract work and would like to know how the market has changed in the last couple of years.

Much for the worse. You'd be looking at €230-€300 per day in Dublin. More if you have .NET and really good SQL (SQL Server or Oracle)...but there are a lot of contractors on the market at the moment and the daily rate is being used to choose between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Merrion wrote:
    Much for the worse. You'd be looking at €230-€300 per day in Dublin. More if you have .NET and really good SQL (SQL Server or Oracle)...but there are a lot of contractors on the market at the moment and the daily rate is being used to choose between them.

agreed, anything between 250-300 for your standard .net. However, I would say Ive noticed a marked improvement in the top end Oracle DBA people. Know 2 people whove moved in the last 4 weeks and are on long term 450 and 475 respectively. which in the 475 case is a jump of over 150 a day.
    I do think however that thats top end where the money will always be good as those type of people are always in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

masterK wrote:
    I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me on the current state of the IT software contract market. I'm interested to know what the current daily rates and are and how difficult contracts are to find.
    Better than it was, but Ireland's always had the lowest IT contractor rates in the whole of Europe.

Average is about €300 - €350 for VB 6/.Net. Everyone's going .NET now, so it's usually good to have a second niche skill that you can flog for a premium.

I'm old enough to remember the days when SAPpers could get a grand a day!

Personally, I think the next big thing might be IT security/risk auditing, I don't see any major sexy new technology/language/tool coming down the pipeline that would command big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

my company is looking for good SQL/Oracle programmers. PM me for more details, city center based!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Hard to make a real living contracting in Dublin ---the rates are too low. And as for outside Dublin ..forget it .

If you're prepared to travel and do the UK regularly you'll get lots of work. Rates are also much better.

Advertisement