Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paddy Power - Responsible Betting

• 14-04-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you are all sensible gamblers in here and only gamble what you can afford to loose and never loose the run of yourselves trying to recoup losses !!

But if you are like me you might find this handy on your Paddy Power account.
    If you log in and go into 'My Account' - on the right hand side you'll see a button 'Responsible Betting'.
    You can get your account to limit your daily/weekly lodgements to anything from €100 to €50,000.

If you change your limit down it changes straightaway. If you change your limit up it takes 24 hours to take effect. Might make you think twice about putting €500 on the favourite in last race in Monmore !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

I'll follow this up with a little honesty. I wonder how many people here are on the verge of having a gambling problem! I was going to post anonymously in Personal Issues but decided to keep it here in the Racing section with like minded people.

I've looked trough my Paddy Power history since 1998 - and copied the transactions into Excel so I could analyse the figures.

/*deep breath*/

Total Deposits: 25,600
    Total Withdrawals: 26,700

Totals Bets: 49,850
    Total Returns: 50,750

Total Number of Bets: 4,414 (Bets with returns (wins & places): 868 - 19%)
    Avg. Bet: 11 Max Bet: 250

I'm not doing this to show off - I'm going to bookmark it as a reminder to my silliness. Anyone else care to fess up also so I can compare !? The most I've ever been down has been around €2000 - the most I've been up is around €3000. 90% of the time I'm breaking even so most of the money lodged is money i've previously withdrawn so it never really has impacted on me in any major financial way.

Anyway - got to go now - racing on in Aquaduct this evening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

This is as accurate as i can get since Februry 9th(on betfair):

Golf: EUR0.00 | Horse Racing: EUR300.81 | Snooker: -EUR10.39 | Soccer: -EUR26.90 Total P&L: EUR263.52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Thats astonishing Scargill !! :eek: :D

I couldnt say how much Ive been up or down in my betting career only that Im sure Im on a loss. The most Ive ever won was €900 on a bet but Ive lost a ton a few times on a single race. This season has been going sorta well. I opened the account with €200 and havent topped it off yet despite taking close to a grand in withdrawls. So Im up but I'll keep going and soon I'll be down.
    The bookmaker is the only winner in all this. I believe last year PaddyPower recorded his 16th straight growth year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I limit myself to €250 a month. I keep my winings seperate, if I'm lucky enough to have any, but I follow 1 golden rule. I never chase my losses.

DaBreno wrote:
    Thats astonishing Scargill !! :eek: :D

i know - if anyone asked me how much i gamble per year i would've taken a guess at maybe 1k or 2k - its only when you look at the figures that you realise what you are actually doing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Scargill, did you ever sit down and analyse exactly where your winning and where you are losing? You will probably find that on certain sports and certain types of horse racing you do very poorly. You should try to concentrate on the most profitable areas for you. That would could a lot of your bets down a bit.

If you think you gamble too much would you not close all you on line accounts, you'll find you'll bet a whole lot less if you have to go to the trouble of actually visiting a bookies.

Anyway if you think you're bad you should see a mate of mine in action, has no real interest in horse racing, just betting. He usually bets €50 minimum per race. When betting on Horses he usually always backs what Spotlight in the racing post tips, on Dogs he also just backs what the racing post selection is, he never looks at form. The worst thing is he is the jammiest ****er you'll ever come across. For instance on Saturday he had €20 on a horse called 'The Bear' as that is his nickname, it had never run before and won at 20/1. Then to rub it in as we we're leaving the bookies he heard the SIS commentator saying that a horse was backed in form 8/1 to 6/1 so he put €50 on it without even looking at a paper, it won. The name of the horse was FLUKE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I did the same with my PP account.
    Shame it isn't automated like Betfair, but I found if you copy the table in account history in PP by selecting it all, and paste in Excel, but go to Paste As. Do a replace search for EUR, and replace it with nothing. Then usual Excel functions.

Anyway found out the following:
    I bet EUR981.42, that includes winnings.
    I won a total EUR957.42.

But the real interesting figures are what I Deposited & Withdrew.

Deposits: (18 of them) EUR187.89
    Withdrawals: (9 of them) EUR321.05
    Profit: EUR133.16

My betfair account, I lodged 50, withdrew 100 and is empty at the moment (which is break even considering I got a free 50euro).
    This is all since Jan01st, which is when I believe I started betting regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

i had an internet a/c with pp but i have stopped using it as its just too easy to bet.i know thats the idea but i found myself on boring sundays backing horses in races at kips like newton abbot or cartmel just to see the race commentary in text ...........just to get a hit out of it.

i now bet just from my pocket and i normally just have a bet on saturdays and i'd say i'm down a few quid this year when i would normally be close to a break even situation.

I always find it astonishing that whenever you are in a group discussing betting no-one ever admits to being down loads of money. On my PP account I happen to be up a tiny amount - but I know for sure that between betting on-course and in offices i'm probably down a good few quid.

If Paddypower, Ladbrooks, Corals, etc are all recording record profits someone must be down !!!

i'm including myself in the above remarks - not just the other posters above.
    If the girlfriend asks I always say 'I'm up a bit - but more or less even' !!!

one of the biggest lies we all must tell !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

the biggest eye-opener is the credit card bill yikes.gif

paddypower
    paddypower
    paddypower
    paddypower
    paddypower

I'm not even going to look at my history cause it could put me in bad humour for the rest of the evening, but I like to imagine (doesn't everyone) that i've broke even overall as im obviously more intelligent that those filthy[rich] bookmakers.

scary thought - I'm applying for a mortgage tomorrow. I have to bring in recent bank statements.

Paddy Power
    Paddy Power
    Betfair
    Paddy Power
    Paddy Power
    Betfair
    Betfair
    Betfair
    Paddy Power
    Paddy Power
    Paddy Power

must set up a seperate bank account for gambling purposes !!! (or maybe give it up).

I'll let you know what the banks comments on it are. I'll try to find a statement showing a profit in case its brought up !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I use a phone account, it's not as handy but I think that's why it's a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

scargill wrote:
    scary thought - I'm applying for a mortgage tomorrow. I have to bring in recent bank statements.

Paddy Power
    Paddy Power
    Betfair
    Paddy Power
    Paddy Power
    Betfair
    Betfair
    Betfair
    Paddy Power
    Paddy Power
    Paddy Power

lol! :D

Be sure and tell em that youre making a fortune of this. Paying a mortgage would be no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Scargill, just tell them that when Paddy Power is having a bad day he asks you for a lend of a few quid and that is the reason it appears on your Bank statement.

was just down with manager of EBS - he didn't look at statements. But I don't think it would have mattered to him anyway. He had a picture of Frankie Dettori's "magnificent seven" from Ascot hanging on his wall !!!! He was also talking about Punchestown next week - so I think I'm in the clear !!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

Lads.
    There should be only be one reason to bet with Paddy Power, Ladbrokes, Corals, etc and that's when you are having Doubles, Trebles etc.
    Otherwise use either Betfair or Betdaq.
    FFS you don't even need a PC anymore, you can bet on the phone!
    (minimum 50 with Betfair, not sure Betdaq).
    They have better odds 95% of the time.
    Okay you have to pay a 5% comm to them but even after that,
    you still get get better odds.

Can somebody please explain to me why you would bet with a bookie over a betting exchange nowadays?

Advertisement