Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led question..

Options
  • 14-04-2005 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Building a new project and need to change the leds for power n HDD access. What sort of LEDs do i need???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I would de-solder them and bring them to where ever your getting the new led's.
    If it's of the net, maybe your manual tells you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

unklerosco:

That's a very open-ended question - it depends a lot on where they're going/what they have to fit into...

The biggest thing (electrically) though is voltage. Red, green and yellow LEDs fire up at something like 1.6v, whereas blue and white ones (from what I remember), because they use different semiconductor chemistries, require closer to 3v, which means that a lot of motherboards that weren't designed for 'em can't light 'em directly. Other than that though, it's a matter of the hole you're trying to poke them into, really...

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Its a custom case so size don't matter, i'll rob just do without...

That's up to yourself. There are a myriad of different sizes and shapes; look at www.radionics.ie or similar to see what's available. Most cases use 3mm or 5mm round ones though.

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

You should use a voltage reader to measure the voltage your getting from the board to the leds so you know what LEDs to get, or you could be left with under powered (dim) lights or just blow the LEDs the first time you start up.

• Advertisement

As an aside: The voltage you're looking to measure as per Optikus' suggestion is the voltage across a typical LED, so such an LED must be plugged in (and lit) before you try to measure the voltage...

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

ive got a few from old pc cases that ive picked up along the way with the wiring and the two pin sockets on them so if ya want them let me know...

Advertisement