Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing gear without clutch?

Options
  • 14-04-2005 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I recently had a problem with my gears - it was very "notchy" when moving into certain gears.
    After googling and looking at a few forums, I came across an interesting solution. If I drove for a week or two without using the clutch when changing gear it should remove a bit of the notchiness. So I did this whenever I had the chance - usually on empty roads as it is a bit tricky to get the hang of at first.
    Sure enough, my clutch is now a lot smoother, and I have become an expert at changing gears without clutch (am now ready for left-foot braking :p )
    Just wondering what your comments are on this? From the people I have asked this isn't all that unusual, and also does not cause any major damage to the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

how do you change gears without clutching?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

The way I was told is this:
    When driving with your clutch, take notice of what RPM you usually change gears at. Mine was usually between 15-20 I think. Then try to change gears when you reach that rev without using the clutch. It should go into gear, but not quite as smoothly.Gets much easier after a little while.
    Note you cannot shift down though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

That sounds like something that would mash the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So bad for the car...jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

fjon wrote:
    The way I was told is this:
    When driving with your clutch, take notice of what RPM you usually change gears at. Mine was usually between 15-20 I think. Then try to change gears when you reach that rev without using the clutch. It should go into gear, but not quite as smoothly.Gets much easier after a little while.
    Note you cannot shift down though!
    Just to clarify, do you take it out of gear with the clutch when changing, i.e. use clutch to take it out of first, release clutch, then put it into second, or do the whole thing sans clutch. Also I imagine this *has* to do something bad to your car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The very idea makes me whince! Couldn't be right...surely?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

this only works on rental cars

Zaph0d wrote:
    this only works on rental cars

...in Tunisia

Interesting reponses :D
    The only time I would use the clutch would be when whifting down, and when stopped. But after a short google I have found it is possible to shift down without clutch also:
    All you have to do is have it in the correct rpm range. First figgure out what it is by shifting normal and look where your rpm's are when you start to shift and where they go into when you shift into the next gear. Then when you try this, get the rpms there again, pull it into nutral and when the rpms get to where they were when you shifted before it should slip right in. Be careful though, it can slip if youu do it wrong. Shifting down is harder but same idea. You just have to rev your engine to the correct rpms to get it to slip in. There, how is that for an explanation?

fjon wrote:
    Interesting reponses :D
    The only time I would use the clutch would be when whifting down, and when stopped. But after a short google I have found it is possible to shift down without clutch also:

Well if it's on the internet.....

Seriously though - there is a good reason for using the clutch when changing - it allows the gears to be changed while not being driven. Without it, I can't see how bad things won't happen. I wouldn't do it to my car, and I can't even think why I'd try.

• Advertisement

Ok, some more info - read the last few paragaphs:

http://www.se-r.net/transaxle_clutch/clutch_not_to.html

I actually first found out it was possible to do this when the gears on my last car went kaput, and the AA guy drove the thing half a mile to the garage without a clutch. Starting a car in 1st is quite scary! He assured me it wouldn't damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My Dad showed me how to do this. He got quite handy at it a few years ago when the clutch cable in the car we used to have would constantly slip. You can even pull off without a clutch(not smoothly though), you have to have the car turned off, select first gear, have your foot pressed on the accelerator & then start the car....Obviously the car launches forward & it does not do the gearbox any favours but I regularly do the 2nd to 3rd shift and 3rd to 4th shift without using the clutch & in most cases, the change is seemless.
    When downshifting, a small blip of the throttle smoothens out the change.

I can't see how it wouldn't grind hell out of it & have the gearbox explode out the casing!

Right - just been asking around. Apparently you can get away with it as long as you have a synchromesh gearbox and can change at the right time. Still think I'll stick with the clutch!

De Hipster wrote:
    I can't see how it wouldn't grind hell out of it & have the gearbox explode out the casing!
    Like Fletch said, it becomes very easy with practice. The transition is very smooth after a few tries.
    I am not doing it any more - I am using my clutch like a normal person. I simply had a problem with my clutch/ gears, and found I was able to resolve it this way. I'm obviously not encouraging anyone to do this, unless they want to!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've heard you can stop without using the brake pedal.
    You just need to be able to open your door and also to have a good pair of shoes.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

just show us picture of your car, so we know which one to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you match the engine speed and road speed correctly, this will not cause any additional wear on your gearbox. The trick is never to force it, it's all about smooth motion when engaging or disengaging the gears. I have no idea why fjon is doing this or what he's trying to achieve, but I have done it in the past when my clutch release bearing was on the way out and I had to wait a few days to get it changed. To disengage the gear, starting from a steady speed, lift off the accellerator very slightly and gently push the gearstick to neutral. To engage a higher gear, again, you push the gear lever gently into gear, the revs will be falling after you've lifted off the accelerator and as the revs fall to a point where the they match the road speed for that gear, it will just slot into gear. To engage a lower gear, once you're in neutral, give the accelerator a sharp blast and again allow the revs to fall while gently pushing the gear lever towards the desired gear. Once more, as the revs fall past the point where the they match the road speed for that gear, it will just slot into gear. If you're changing up, and you've missed the point at which the gear should have engaged, you can just use the changing up method. Very smooth gear changes can be made this way. It is however cumbersome and really only of use in an emergency where you have clutch problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

whenever i have a rental i practice doing it, so as whenever i may need to do it in my own car then i'll be able to. it's actually not that difficult - just have to get the revs right.
    Remember - rental cars are the fastest cars in the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

alias no.9 wrote:
    If you match the engine speed and road speed correctly, this will not cause any additional wear on your gearbox. The trick is never to force it, it's all about smooth motion when engaging or disengaging the gears. I have no idea why fjon is doing this or what he's trying to achieve, but I have done it in the past when my clutch release bearing was on the way out and I had to wait a few days to get it changed. To disengage the gear, starting from a steady speed, lift off the accellerator very slightly and gently push the gearstick to neutral. To engage a higher gear, again, you push the gear lever gently into gear, the revs will be falling after you've lifted off the accelerator and as the revs fall to a point where the they match the road speed for that gear, it will just slot into gear. To engage a lower gear, once you're in neutral, give the accelerator a sharp blast and again allow the revs to fall while gently pushing the gear lever towards the desired gear. Once more, as the revs fall past the point where the they match the road speed for that gear, it will just slot into gear. If you're changing up, and you've missed the point at which the gear should have engaged, you can just use the changing up method. Very smooth gear changes can be made this way. It is however cumbersome and really only of use in an emergency where you have clutch problems.

agree there,

additionally you have better chance to cause extensive

synchroniser wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I've heard you can stop without using the brake pedal.
    You just need to be able to open your door and also to have a good pair of shoes.

:D
    lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Us race car driver types change up without clutch, but on a down change it is usual to blip the throttle with your right heel as your right foot is on the brake at the same time - when you blip the throttle you can change down (it matches up engine /box speeds). Takes practice, and its crucial in the rain to stop the back wheels locking . Heel and toe is what its called. That said I broke the gearbox in 2 ford focus one night changing gear without the clutch, so if you have a focus, 2nd gear will last about half an hour - oh the joys of car hire... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I don't have a clutch pedal in my 4 speed manual, my clutch is activated by magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sounds as if it was the same principal as the "double de-clutch" you had to do with unsynchronised gearboxes. Can just see that one work with a bit of practice, no idea what it would do to all the syncro rings on prolonged use though, hence I shan't try it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Ratchet wrote:
    just show us picture of your car, so we know which one to avoid
    You don't need a picture, he'll be the one doing Kangaroo style hops down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Sure you can do it, tractors with non-synchro straight cut gears are better for the job though.The synchros will suffer eventually. Free revving engines tend to make it difficult as it is hard to match the speeds. and it is not something that makes for lightning fast changes.

In a pinch, no problems, but long term, it may be best to stick with using the clutch, unless it has a tractor box in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Done properly it shouldn't do any damage to the gears or cause excessive wear. Your more likely to cause damage and wear by changing gears badly USING the clutch. The sync and the clutch are there so you don't have to match the speeds before making the change, and that clumsy oafs can drive a car. Syncho Mesh gears are less efficent at transferring power than square cut gears. Which is why racing cars used to use them. Dunno if that still applies these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Let me guess, you read this on an American website , right ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Most race cars use the hewland box, with straight cut gears, hence you can change without the clutch, the class I race has synchros, but still upshift without clutch, I will be fitting a 'flat shift' to my car this year, so I can make full throttle gear shifts. In a road car it depends how talented you are, and how deep your pocket is, if you happen to run out of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Let me guess, you read this on an American website , right ??

If you are referring to me. No. Heard it from people I know who remember when there wasn't such a thing as sychromesh gearboxs. Nothing special about not using the clutch. Double declutching, dogleg gear boxes, Straight cut gears were all boringly normal.

Done it myself in cars, vans and trucks when the clutch cables gone, or the clutch lining is worn out. Hill starts are a bugger. Remember having to do it going up ChristChurch Hill. (used to be the other direction with lights at the top) Stillorgan car park is also no fun without a clutch. Even no handbrake is tricky on a hill. No handbrake and no clutch, that would be tough.

Advertisement