Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB starting to throttle Ripwave users

• 14-04-2005 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Seemingly with the recent relegation of Ripwave users they've also began to throttle "heavy" users. I s0eem to have been limited to about 256k, my signal strength and quality is s good as ever. I'll put my hand up and say that large amounts of downloads do happen, but is it really fair to penalise heavy users of a 512k service? Seemingly IBB are of this opinion. I'm busy studying the Terms and Conditions I signed up to, also have a relative who is solicitor reading through them to see if they are violating the contract. Bad form I say, anyone else having trouble?

The test file I used for speed was the 25meg.iso on ftp.irishbroadband.ie

****UPDATE: Seems to be getting back up to speed now... weird

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Sounds like you could be subkect to the same QoS system those of us on the 2 meg lines are on. I get droped to 25k during the day time and back up to fast speeds after 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

Altheus wrote:
    The test file I used for speed was the 25meg.iso on ftp.irishbroadband.ie

****UPDATE: Seems to be getting back up to speed now... weird

I tried this file as well and got, with a very slow climb, maximum 33KB/sec. When I started to surf it went down to 19KB/sec.

I've noticed RipWave is getting slower. It is very slow to surf when I'm downloading, even if I'm downloading at 5KB/sec.

I was a great fan of RipWave -portable/no phone line needed/fast but with the news that they're going to cut the speed when I was hoping they might double it, I'm prob going to go with Smart(my phone no is ok but might be moving) or some other crowd. With all the upgrades/offers around at the moment RipWave is looking pretty lame.

I can't understand why they can't have a couple of options with Ripwave
    say the 256 service which they're bringing in at a cheaper prive, keep the 512 service at €30, and perhaps offer a 1mb service at €35.

ah well , it was good while it lasted

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Why dont you just get breeze instead of ripwave..new priceing on the 1mb option. http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Legion: I live in a apartment behind the mast, but I've got no word on whether or not a wall mount will suffice otherwise I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

Legion wrote:
    Why dont you just get breeze instead of ripwave..new priceing on the 1mb option. http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm

requires the oul' mast thing, as I'm living in a flat it's a bit too pernament; that's the handy thing about RipWave - if you move you might be able bring it with you.

Also, I notice there's a 30gb limit per month on the breeze option. I'd deffo go over that if I had a Imb speed. I thought IBB didn't have limits.

I think I'll be going with Smart if I can get it , but would perfer to stay with IBB Ripwave.

Maybe we could start a campaign to upgrade RipWave to 1mb. I see OldTitan asked the breeze users if they would perfer a 2mb unlimited/3mb limited service. No one asking the poor oul' RipWave users what they'd perfer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'm with ya on that one. I'm gettin more and more pissed off with ripwave every day. The fact that they're actually thinkin of downgrading it rather than upgrading it is just a fcukin joke!! :mad: In comparison to other services, what we've got isn't worth any more than €15-€20pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

You do realise that the Ripwave service is contended? More likely you're experiencing decreased speeds due to other users downloading as well.

I don't use Ripwave for much more than browsing these days but I left my PC on today while leaving for work to download some substantially large files. I had a feeling there'd be some warez monkey somewhere moaning about his sudden "crap download speeds" and how Ripwave is a heap of sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I realise that sometimes bandwidth will be limited, and can live with that. But what is really annoying me is how IBB seems to have just forgotten about ripwave users. Ok, it may not be their 'Premium' service, but we should still be given as much respect as Breeze users.

I may be wrong but surely the average Ripwave user is more profitable to them than the average Breeze user. I mean they charge a ludicrous €99 for 'Installation', which, as someone has already said, involves putting a modem in a box and posting it. Also, when Breeze is upgraded to 2MB Ripwave users will be paying 75% of the price for just 25% of the bandwidth, if ya get what i'm sayin.

This just isn't on! If they don't do somethin soon then every Ripwave user that has access to another ISP is gonna jump ship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Id say they do have plans to upgrade the ripwave option, just thats its on a longer finger.

Advertisement