Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRMA lawsuits. Good or Bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

No because I might get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No, I prefer to break the law with no consequences for my actions.

Also, I think having gardai is a bad idea.

Fcuking muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I think the way they are going about it is wrong. If they go around all guns blazing then there will only ever be animosity between them and nearly anyone whether they download or not.

Cease and Desist letters first, and the if it does not stop, a lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

i think they are wrong. I think the entire music business is undergoing a profound change, and these law suits are some of the last efforts of the old music business to protect their interests. i think that artists in the future will gain the vast majority of their income from touring and playing gigs, not from record sales, instead their recordings will be distributed freely to ensure a good attendance at live performances. uploading tunes won't be a crime in five years, so i think its unfair that these people are punished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Arabel wrote:
    I think the way they are going about it is wrong. If they go around all guns blazing then there will only ever be animosity between them and nearly anyone whether they download or not.

Cease and Desist letters first, and the if it does not stop, a lawsuit.

That would be the more PR friendly approach to doing things as well IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Moriarty wrote:
    Fcuking muppets

Do you always have to be so negative... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Infini wrote:
    Do you always have to be so negative... :rolleyes:
    Oh I do hope he thinks "No" when he reads that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

/me wonders who the one person is who fancies a lawsuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

We interviewed the head of IRMA on our show before Christmas and he said they had software that was going to put pop-up messages on the screens of downloaders warning them to desist (can't figure out how it'd work though)

They seem to be going after those who share first because of the ambiguity of downloading (legal downloads and ripped songs from CDs)

There are also issues of privacy to be considered, he gave us the impression when we interviewed him that they were scanning people's PCs for music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bagocans

Photocopying of books is illegal as is home copying tapes, cd's and computer games, and it never spelled the end of these.
    IRMA haven't even realised that the world has changed alot in the last 10-5 years and legal downloading of music is the way forward, they're behind the times and this is a pathetic knee jerk reaction from old fogees who only care about lining their pockets, not the artists who get pittance anyway compared to them.
    Times have changed, bands release stuff on the internet now before releasing their albums so word spreads and they create a fan base.
    If you like what you download you'll probably eventually buy it on cd etc anyway!, and what you don't buy you probably never would have in the first place but it's brodened your musical tastes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement