Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

WIndows XP and Javascript

• 14-04-2005 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I badly need help........ [or rather my OS does]

I'm running Windows XP Home with all the latest updates. The machine is also fully Firewall protected and Virus/Trojan free.

For some reason, Javascript has stopped working within Internet Explorer. It is NOT disabled. Whenever I try any page that requires Javascript, nothing happens. No error messages; nada; blank.
    I tried setting Security to Active Scripting -> Prompt, and that works. It prompts, but then doesn't run the script.

And before all you Firefox fans get on, [and I'm a fan myself], IE is required for some functions:
    I can't do a System Restore, as the page requires Javascript. All I get is a blank screen.
    I can't access Windows Update - ditto.
    I also do a fair bit of web development, so IE is kind essential.

I can't re-install IE as it says I have the latest version.

I really do not want to go down the road of a complete re-install. If anyone has any ideas ........ ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

try see if you have the latest Java Runtime

http://www.java.com just try re-download it manually, might save you reinstalling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Blitz wrote:
    try see if you have the latest Java Runtime

http://www.java.com just try re-download it manually, might save you reinstalling
    Javascript has nothing to do with Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Thanks anyway Blitz.

I've just tried 'sfc /scannow', but that hasn't worked either.. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Are you running Norton anti-virus? I've seen that decide to block all javascript before without any prompting. You could also try getting jscript.dll off a working machine and over-write your own - shouldn't do any damage in any case (I've done this).

hostyle wrote:
    Are you running Norton anti-virus? I've seen that decide to block all javascript before without any prompting. You could also try getting jscript.dll off a working machine and over-write your own - shouldn't do any damage in any case (I've done this).

Not Norton. I use Avast and AVG [I know you're not supposed to run two at a time but they work together very well]. In any case, it isn't a firewall/virus issue as Javascript runs perfectly in Firefox.

I tried copying jscript.dll - no difference :confused:

I'm browsing this page in Firefox and have the full nav-menu along the top of the page [and can insert smilies]. If I look at the same page in IE - it's as if the top menu never existed.

It's beginning to look like a total reformat which I have been trying to avoid - 17Gb to be backed up - then days of watching loading bars crawl across the screen......... *sigh*

• Advertisement

Success :D:D

Many thanks Hostyle. The idea of copying jscript.dll may not have worked, but it gave me the idea of copying across all iexplore.* files. THAT worked.

I'm still baffled as to what happened - but I suppose with Windows it's all part of the process........

Thanks again

Advertisement