Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running two pcs off NTL broadband

Options
  • 14-04-2005 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

if i want to run two pcs of NTL broadaband can i use the NTL cable. ie can i connect two routers to the one ntl cable or do i need to run both pcs out of the same router.

could i use the USB port for one computer and the LAN connection for the other pc.

any other suggestions on running to pcs on broadband would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Not sure on the USB / LAN thing but just connect a router to the ntl: modem and your PC's to it.

Else Wireless tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

iirc some ppl found using the lan and usb was problemmatic, but I've never done it.

You can plug the ntl ethernet into your router (WAN port) - and then connect your two PC's to the router (LAN ports).

Personally I'd get (and have) a gateway/switch with NAT, DHCP, SPI Firewall etc.
    You can go wireless if that's your thing - but there are extra steps to make wireless secure - they're a bit more hassle to setup, particularly if you don't know what you're doing :D

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

basically i just want to get the broadband on the pc doewnstairs i dont really care about speed ect as both pcs are just used for browsing with very little file downloading and next to no gaming. i currently have the supplied NTL router connected to my pc through the ethernet cable into a network card . the router i have only has one lan output can i get a splitter for this cable or do i need to get a different router.

a little more info on the gateway switch you describe would be great (ie what it is does)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

eoinf wrote:
    basically i just want to get the broadband on the pc doewnstairs i dont really care about speed ect as both pcs are just used for browsing with very little file downloading and next to no gaming. i currently have the supplied NTL router connected to my pc through the ethernet cable into a network card . the router i have only has one lan output can i get a splitter for this cable or do i need to get a different router.

a little more info on the gateway switch you describe would be great (ie what it is does)

Get yourself a switch. Somthing like this:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=109380&cks=PRL

You can't connect to both the ethernet port and usb port of the modem (ntl router) at the same time. I think this is even listed on NTL's site.
    Basically a 4 to 8 port switch will do the job. You connect the modem into one of the ports (ethernet connection) Then just connect each of your pcs into two of the other ports. I think the ntl modems can assign two separate ip addresses to devices using the switch. A good switch like the one listed, will handle the traffic without many problems.
    Now if you want the 2 pcs to act as a network inside your house so they can share data, then you will need a router. A cheap solution: if you can find a really old pc somewhere : an old pentium pro 100 to 200 mhz cpu, you can install someting like Smoothwall on it:

www.smoothwall.org

This will act as a firewall and a router and is really easy to set up. You need two network cards in the smoothwall box and a switch. The modem connects to card one of your smootwall. Card two connects to the switch and then the other pcs also connect to the switch. YOu can then connect several pcs together
    this way and even have an xbox connected to the switch. I was able to use xbox live in this way with the smoothwall box and 2 other pcs sharing the connection. Look at the diagrams that this bloke has done out.

http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10709

You would be setting up one similar to the RED-GREEN example.

You can also get routers from komplett and if you are really adventurous, try going wireless. It will save having to run a cable downstairs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL cable box plugged into a Netgear WGT624 108Mbps Wireless Cable Router
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WGT624

This is a 4 port router, I have 2 computers plugged into the ethernet port and I have another 2 computer's (1 laptop, 1 Tivo) connected over wireless.

It is a very flexible option.

Any of the routers on this page should work fine:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=3&CatID=30&l=2&CnL1=Wireless%20Network&CnL2=Wireless%20Cable%20Routers

If you don't need wireless, then the following are wired only options:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=2&CatID=21&l=2&CnL1=NTL/Telewest&CnL2=Cable%20Routers

Personally I think get wireless is well worth it, even if you don't use it now you might use it in future. However make sure to use the WPA security with a good passphrase or it won't be secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

.. is it a bird? .. is it a plane? No! It's another thread flying to Nets/Comms!

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

eoinf wrote:

The little gizmo NTL supplied ya with is a Cable Modem, not a router. If you pick up a router, just connect the ethernet connection from your modem to the WAN port on the router and then connect your 2 pc's to the router.

I bought this one a couple of years ago(from Maplin), and I was quiet impressed, 4 port switch, DHCP, Firewall ect..

You can find lots of them on amazon.co.uk, jaguarcompsys.ie, komplett.ie or just google for routers. ;)

Advertisement