Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post count = muppetry + spammage ,alternative required

Options
  • 14-04-2005 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

:rolleyes:

Sorry I couldn't resist
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you want to remove a very large amount of crappage from boards After Hours should be shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

post count envy tbh... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Quality not quantity, my friend.

It's getting late and I was just joking.

I totally agree with your suggestion. If there was less "LOL, :D:) :mad: :( :eek: , WTF"it might make reading treads alot easier.

I for one read boards in work and I would stop reading a thread if it has too much sh!te in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh but I will stop reading a thread if theres too much bòllix in it.
    If a post on a thread is going on for days Ill stop reading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Makaveli wrote:
    If you want to remove a very large amount of crappage from boards After Hours should be shut down.
    It has to go somewhere.

Unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Melt wrote:
    lol at ruggie, winking at post count envy while bumping his up once more, I'm serious here, and if the few replies to this thread haven't shown the crappage posted to bump post counts ... time for a rethink guys !!

Post count envy !!!!

You too can have a hugely inflated post count by just posting complete nonsense on every thread that takes your fancey.

TBH i was only really concerned with my postcount when i was about 000 to 500. After that i don't really notice it...but you would be right to suggest that most of my posts are shite :D

I much prefered Rep envy anyway.

oh for those days of karma madness... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Most of the posts that contain lol, wtf, <insert smiley> or what ever are probably contained mostly to AH, Humour and the Cuckoo's Nest (post count doesn't count there). Don't think it is much of an issue any where else.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Melt, maybe you should do an in depth study. You mention a maximum of 15% of posts only containing "lol, zing, haha, or maybe an emoticon".

Can you get a sample size of 200 posts from random threads and then count up how many posts fit the "lol, zing, haha, or maybe an emoticon" description.

If you are correct then maybe we can look into this further.

To aid you in this try randomising post numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i never really look at post counts of other people it's the quality of their posts.

*EDIT* 4,900 posts :D;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    i never really look at post counts of other people it's the quality of their posts.

*EDIT* 4,900 posts :D;):rolleyes:

i wish i had that many posts...... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

RuggieBear wrote:
    i wish i had that many posts...... :eek:
    well you should of signed up two years earlier then ;)

Melt wrote:
    currently this thread has 14 replies, 2 are smilies or wtfites, whats special about this thread, its the same in all threads, all forums, while im posting this, hands in the air im up to uh 5, or is it 6 posts YEAH
    That is because one or two people are taking this lightly and having a bit of a laugh. Others are giving their opinion. Not every post on boards will be taught out in depth and original.

pfft... newbie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Indeed, I suggest that this thread should not be entered into your randomised post test thesis Melt. Obviously this thread will have a higher amount of "lol, zing, haha, or maybe an emoticon" posts due to the nature of the thread.

Incidentally I see no post here that contains one of the "lol, zing, haha, or maybe an emoticon" words/beings that you have outlawed. Many posts may contain "lol, zing, haha, or maybe an emoticon" but is not entirely made up of "lol, zing, haha, or maybe an emoticon".

Therefore, more proof is needed.
    eat mor chikin

Melt wrote:
    seriously, 10 to 15 percent at LEAST are wtf lol smile etc etc, agree ?
    I would do a search but it would probably break boards. Luckly its a 4 character minimum.
    10-15% is a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Melt wrote:
    currently this thread has 14 replies, 2 are smilies or wtfites, whats special about this thread, its the same in all threads, all forums, while im posting this, hands in the air im up to uh 5, or is it 6 posts YEAH

shrimp has a 13 part correspondence course you can sign up for, you too can have a four digit post count in JUST. FOUR. WEEKS. (I've only onto to part 4, I've to cover advanced post repeating, and animated smilie gifs)
    Or... the powers that be could remove post counts as a feature and end this crappage

Or alternatively you could stop whinging and ignore people who post smiles etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

post count shows usage,
    it allows "a pinch of salt" type reading.

1 post then whinging = hmmm
    1000 post then whinging = maybe

find a forum w/o post count and show me how its better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Melt wrote:
    why are you arguing this, why do you want to keep post count
    Why does it matter? People are going to keep posting lol, zing, :D, etc. anyway... Its what they do... All thats left for you to do is get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

What have post counts got to do with any of this?

Melt wrote:
    less than 11 months and 2000 posts ??, you chalk, YAWN

so i should post less for new users to take me seriously?

this exactly the type of post your banging on about,
    no point just need to post something,

answer my question, where is there evidence to show post count reduces the quality of a forum and ill answer your question of yes or no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Melt wrote:
    thats the point, they don't, i made a suggestion, and all the muppets wanting to up their post count drop by
    Oh ffs, you come along demanding a, albeit minor change to the system, and you expect noone to voice an opinion? Don't be daft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I just dropped by to increase my post count.

no seriously tbh, most of the "funny" threads what contain smileys and "lol wtf" would be in cuckoos next and post counts dont count there anyway? so WTF STFU stop whinging change the channel tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Melt wrote:
    You all don't get what I am saying, there ARE ppl here who just post zing haha etc to up post count, so remove post count !!, why are you arguing this, why do you want to keep post count, explain guys !

And a person who posts "zing" and you see a post count of a thousand and you know you're dealing with an idiot. Seriously WTF? Are you saying stupid people are less likely to say stupid things if their post count doesn't show? Do you know anything about human stupidity? Stupid people will say stupid things no matter what.

Unless this is some weird post modern point about uping post counts with a stupid thread about stupid posts.

You're doing a good job of upping your own post count...

Go back and admin your own forums.

You are an idiot and your point make as much sense as inverted sedgewicks.

Just to let you know, I posted to let you know you are an idiot.

zing!

i already gave my opinion.

are you not reading any posts, just replying to users who have a large post count?
    your obvioulsy looking at mine to want to reply to me with details of it twice now.

can you show me a forum where removing post counts has made a diference and i will answer your question, otherwise this os getting old.

i have now asked you 3 times, will you please show your evidence or reveal your reasons, beyond the fact that you think its a good idea and perhaps you will win people over.

btw/
    just want to add that ive a hilarious feeling your another poster trolling but thats just my opinion

Have you got market research to prove this. I'll be wanted nice graphs in at least three colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Melt wrote:
    fag

that was a one word answer, youre just trying to increase your post count. for shame

• Advertisement

Melt wrote:
    YES, you got it, they will post less crappage if it doesnt reg on their post count !!!
    Have you even seen the Cuckoo's nest yet?
    *boogle*

Advertisement