Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

http://www.premierbroadband.net/

• 15-04-2005 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

has anyone used these guys? :
    http://www.premierbroadband.net/

They showed up at a broadband meeting in Cashel. They seem to exist off government grants + customers and are offering to stick a wireless aerial on the house to get us connected. They seem kind of new.

The only other option for us is eircom broadband which I'm loath to go with given every other experience i've had with them.

so, anyone had experience with them ? are they a commercial offshoot of the irishwan ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

They have nothing to do with Irishwan and never have, don't be fooled by the 'WAN' in their county sites. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Are you talking about Eircom FWA or Eircom ADSL? Obviously Eircom's ADSL prices are about a quarter of what those guys are charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

These guys are based in Tipperary. They are getting involved in the GBS.
    thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Blaster99 wrote:
    Are you talking about Eircom FWA or Eircom ADSL? Obviously Eircom's ADSL prices are about a quarter of what those guys are charging.

How so? Their website says that a home connection is 29.99/month inclusive of VAT. Eircoms home adsl is more than that at 39.99/month. Eircoms speed may be 4 times faster but thats no good if you live in Dualla Co. Tipp where the phone lines are barely capable of voice never mind BB. These guys will hopefully be able to provide a service while Eircom can't or won't provide a service. Also these guys speeds are 512 up and down so a direct comparison on price is helpful without considering the actual availability of the services. The clearwire wireless service is more comparable as its being launced in Clonmel in June (I think) and they are charging around the same (I cannot check exactly as their website is broken). Clearwire are promising more speed though in their favour.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mrblack wrote:
    Eircoms home adsl is more than that at 39.99/month.
    ...plus line rental. Remember you don't need a landline for a FWA service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

mrblack wrote:
    Eircoms speed may be 4 times faster but thats no good if you live in Dualla Co. Tipp where the phone lines are barely capable of voice never mind BB. These guys will hopefully be able to provide a service while Eircom can't or won't provide a service.

Hate to bring this up, but the thread starter said that there's an Eircom alternative. Hence my reply. If you think 512kbps for €30 or 2Mbps for €200 or whatever those guys charge is good value, well...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But the Eircom alternative may be their FWA wireless which costs €500 install (or €600) and is 512/64 for €40 or €50 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Blaster99 wrote:
    Hate to bring this up, but the thread starter said that there's an Eircom alternative. Hence my reply. If you think 512kbps for €30 or 2Mbps for €200 or whatever those guys charge is good value, well...

Unfortunately I have to say it is good value coz in Dualla the only current alternative is vsat and even that is crap coz the phone keeps hanging up all the time and all we get upstream is about 14 to 20kbps so its a bloody nightmare to do anything online at all. Most of the time we spend online in Dualla we are praying or crossing our fingers that the modem won't hang up again for the umpteenth time :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...plus line rental. Remember you don't need a landline for a FWA service.

You would be surprised in order to get eircom FWA you must supply a Landline number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

FWA requires you to move you voice calls over to a PSTN-> FWA line and you pay line rental as usual.

• Advertisement

Blitz wrote:
    You would be surprised in order to get eircom FWA you must supply a Landline number
    Yeah, but I'm talking about real FWA, not thon overpriced joke. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

oscarBravo wrote:
    Yeah, but I'm talking about real FWA, not that overpriced joke. ;)

I agree. Sorry for the confusion. I am not even considering Eircom FWA. I don't trust them to get the wired option right, so wireless with them is out of the question.

I was hoping that somone had signed up with the premierbroadband guys and had some feedback as regards their muppetry levels/etc.
    They seem to be cheaper than eircom, and I doubt that the eircom 2MB promise extends as far as Cashel tbh. I was just worried that they'd be cowboys.

I'll report back as to what they turn out to be like...

I've met the proprietors. They're good people - definitely not cowboys.

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement