Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

IE Crashing

• 15-04-2005 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hey,

just got broadband yesterday so ive been using it a fair bit trying to see the difference(what a difference!) but Internet Explorer keeps crashing on me. It freezes and then may or may not appear "not responding". This is only since Ive got broadband. Is there any specific changes i should make to Ie or is it something else?

cheers
    john

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Have you installed any other software with the broadband.

What are the specs of your machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Install Firefox

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This might be better suited in the Windows forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I reckon your machine is full of spam or the sorts! Id advised you to back up everything and reinstall, if you have xp make sure you have service pack 2 installed, a firewall (windows) or zone alarm is good and avg. Then install mozilla firefox and then connect to the net.

Honest infection happens within seconds of connecting to the internet with broadband and an un protected PC.

Hope this helps!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

neon_glows wrote:
    I reckon your machine is full of spam or the sorts!

So his pc is full of junk e-mail? WOW
    You don't appear to no the definition of spam,

Anyway....his PC *might* have spyware, adware or malware installed on it so its worth scanning your pc using spybot 1.3, adaware se and/or MS's spyware scanner

If your still having issues after that iof its not XP you could try repairing IE by using add/remove

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you have a firewall installed or are you using the built in windows one are you using service pack 2 ?

If not then at a guess your version of windows isn't patched up to date, in which case it's probably been compromised. Infection doesn't take seconds pfffff! :rolleyes: though the average time is less than 10 minutes.

check the programs on the stickies here and in computers forum for other cleaning programs.

If you have a firewall turn it on now - if not download + install one
    next use antivirus / spyware program to clean pc (some web sites can do this too)
    next patch windows up to date.

then rescan for malware again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

cheers lads will give all/most of that a try and get back to ye thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

hey lads, installed that new patch for xp....

ran mcafee virus scan which scans for skyware, adware,malware etc. all ran out blank

installed mcafee firewall too...

ie still crashes when i go to "open in new window", seems opening links is the problem....wierd only since broadband came!

maybe the scan missed something

any ideas?

Hey lads, installed firefox, seems to be working better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Have you ran spybot/adaware/cwshredder yet?

What OS and service pack are you running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Would be a good idea to have the windows registry checked too.

I use Tune Up Utilities and find it very good.

Available on 30 trial from Download.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement