Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with cat's if not around for the weekend?

Options
  • 15-04-2005 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Ok, so finally we're going to go get two little kittens. But I am wondering what do you do if your not going to be around on a weekend?

How can you feed them or look after them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cats are usually quite ok (especially two of them for company) being on their own for a day or two occasionally.

Food: get them used to dry food. You can leave that around safely, without going off and in enough quantity to last them for a day or two.

Water: leave them several bowls of fresh water or even a pot of water somewhere. Make sure they have enough reserves in case one or two of the bowls get knocked over or spilled. Especially with dry food it is important that they have access to water.

Security: Of, course, when you are not around, cats are going to explore all the places and things that are normally forbidden. Make sure that there are no dangers present. Lock things away.

Litter: Make sure the litter is fresh before you leave.

Kittens: you should not leave little kittens all to themselves for the first few months. They're just babies and need to learn a good few things first before they can be left unsupervised

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You wouldn't leave a baby or toddler home on their own, so don't leave kittens home on their own. If you have to go away for the weekend and have to get kittens, make sure someone you know can take care of them for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I could 'take care of them' for you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I could 'take care of them' for you? ;)
    LOL!

do you not have a trusty neighbour that could keep an eye on them for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Please keep this on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You should never leave a kitten or cat alone for a whole weekend without someone to check on them, while some say it is ok when they are older anything could happen.

Never leave young kittens on their own for a whole weekend.

A reliable neighbour or friend should be able to come round at least once a day just to check on them and make sure their water hasnt spilled and they have enough food etc.

I wouldn't even leave the gerbils on their own for a whole weekend without someone popping in to give them cardboard and to check their bedding/food etc.

Advertisement