Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Best' area in Dublin

Options
  • 15-04-2005 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭

After reading and enjoying the worst area in Dublin thread, where do you think the best area is?

Im originally from wexford but ive lived in Dublin for 6.5 years now. When i was in UCD i lived for a year in stillorgan, okay but not an ideal place to live, then i moved to nutley lane in donnybrook, lovely area.

Lived on booterstown avenue for a year, again a lovely area and finally we bought an apartment on Rochestown avenue a year ago (address is dun laoghaire but nearer sallynoggin killiney)

Rochestown avenue is nice enough, my development and the other new development there are lovely, sally noggin isnt too bad, but can be slightly rough in the noggin inn (seems to be anyway) that said ive walked thro loads of times and never had any sniff of trouble.

My girlf and her dad just bought an apartment near grove avenue in blackrock and its a lovely area, having spent a year doing a masters in blackrock i have to say its my favourite area, near the see, no need to go into town for shops and loads of lovely/if expensive property.

That or aylesbury road! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

My mate Paul has a nice place in Vico Road.... not there much at the moment though. On a long holiday with 3 other mates around the world.
    Said they were doing conferences for people with fear of heights or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

whiskeyman wrote:
    My mate Paul has a nice place in Vico Road.... not there much at the moment though. On a long holiday with 3 other mates around the world.
    Said they were doing conferences for people with fear of heights or something...
    ... I wouldn't be advertising an empty house on vico road :confused: . some friend you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

... I wouldn't be advertising an empty house on vico road :confused: . some friend you are!

Whats wrong with advertising an empty house on vico road? It's not as if its a house Where The Streets Have No Name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

whiskeyman wrote:

Bloody hell.. doing alright then is he..!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Amazing how the 'Worst place in Dublin' thread get's loads of repies but this one is very slow :)

I live in Tyrrelstown and although it's close to some very undesirable places, our estate is a very nice place to live. It's quiet, the neighbours are grand, we have a community website, there's a football team, we have a new town centre about to open, there's a school opening in September and it's got all the advantages of living in Dublin but close enough to the Countryside to take some of those advantages too. There's also 2 golf course surrounding the estate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've lived on Haddington Road (Dublin 4) for a while.....right opp the Beggars Bush Barracks....now that was nice!!! :)

At the moment i'm in Dublin 2 overlooking the Grand Canal. That's good too.... :p

Everyones definition of "best" is different. My area is safe, close to "work" (PhD, TCD) and the Baggot St shops.

I'm from Bray originally and altho not technically Dublin, it's advantages were that it was close enough to commute, big enough to be a proper town but also close enough to the real countryside

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Bluetonic wrote:
    Whats wrong with advertising an empty house on vico road? It's not as if its a house Where The Streets Have No Name.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I live in Sandycove, best area in dublin. Walking distance to dalkey and killiney, really nice village in Glasthule great views and not too far from Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

paul doesnt live on vico road by the way & one of the lads ( larry i believe)
    missed his plane aparently hes always had problems keeping on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

I'd like to live in Rathmines. Always had romantic notions about the place. Love the village-type atmosphere, the old (and admittedly run-down) communal housing, and its proximity to Camden St for good boozing. It always seems to be buzzing with people. I live in a boring suburb populated by retirees, middle-aged ladies who lunch and children under 10. The men work all day, the teenagers vacate as soon as they're allowed on buses and young couples can't afford to buy a house here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ranalagh, Rathmines are really nice. I like those small towns in Dublin if you get what i mean...Donnybrook also is very nice. Clontarf is a good area, and close to town, i also like Howth, although a bit to far out for my taste. I'm from Sandymount, and i love it, 5 minutes on the dart into town...can be in stephens green in 20 minutes if i like :) But i think the best area is D2 around Baggot street, Temple Bar etc. An appartment there would be the coolest thing. The dockland developments are also really nice, and is growing into a miny city, up near Pearse St./ Irishtown way, i'd love to live in the millenium tower (big tall white tower opposite bolands mill).

Those are some of the places i would love to live, but at this rate i'll probably have to move to Leitrum if i want to move out, nd commute to Dublin every day...bloody house prices!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Maynooth.

Okay so technically it's Kildare but I don't see no locals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

Foxrock, everything that there and in the surrouding area is just superior...even down to the walls the council build...different world entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

The Georgian Village estate in Castleknock is a nice little elitist enclave, where the people who probably consider the moderately successful other residents of Castleknock with mild disdain like to keep themselves. For them, the rest of the area is probably for people who only own one business, or those of the "lower classes" who moved there from Blanch as house prices rose
    Mind you, i couldnt believe the amt of relatively old cars in drive ways there (by relatively old i mean 98-99,hey, its old for people who can afford to live in this spot!)
    Some nice spots by the coast to, i remember when i was a kid and we were waiting for a relative to get off a ferry we toured the coast for an hour or two in the car. Jaysus some of the gaffs

Hard to believe Corduff, Whitestown, Mulhuddart et al are all about 1.5 miles up the road from the georgian village. My parents considered movin to C`Knock from Blanch back in the day. I was down in Laurel Lodge a few weeks ago on some business- either all the Blanch schwars like to hang around it for some reason (unlikely, its a tiresome 30-40 min walk from my gaff for a start) or its full of local rich boys pretending to be skangers. I dunno, but i heard and seen more tracksuited howyiz buds there than you do at Corduff S.C :confused:

[milhouse]they cant say stahry bud! Thats my phrase! Its my thing that i say! I think im gonna explode! [/milhouse]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Sandymount.

The village is lovely and quiet but has all the basics (Bruno Borza's is a fantastic chipper!), it's on the DART and only a few minutes from town. And the strand and the bay are beautiful.

Lived there for a while and would love to move back if I can ever afford it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

without a doubt foxrock...closely followed by Donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Dalkey/Killiney is my favourite place in Dublin. All along the seafront (Coliemore road, the coast road, down to sandycove). It's where I spend my summers and I absolutely love it and can't imagine myself living anywhere else when I'm older. Except I will for a while because, well, money and stuff.

Dalkey village is just the nicest place to be on a summers evening, it really is

To the author, do you live in the new development beside Rochestown Lodge and across the road from Statoil?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i do :) our aprtment is lovely, however they were lazy with the common area :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Rathfarnham aint too bad.. a lil out in the sticks in the area of it i live in..

• Advertisement

I thought so ;)

I'm in the gym in the hotel, and from what I can see from the windows beside the pool it lookd quite nice. It's central to alot of places which is quite handy (I'm down church road and off to the left)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

oh alright.. in the gym in the hotel.. what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

A few mates live in Dalkey and its really nice, if a little far out. A mate also lives in Milltown near ranalagh, its such a nice place, really close to town. Id say dalkey to retire and milltown to live in if I was working in dublin.

But to be honest I live in salthill in Galway and I doubt id move to dublin for either of the places above.

S.

im in the gym myself, nice but feckin pricey!!!!!!!

Ha! I must have passed by you a few times, I'd say it's handy having it next door huh?

no, it makes u feel worse when you dont go as often as you meant to :D lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Seem as though this has been a Southside dominated thread, I'm going to throw in my two favourite and best parts of Dublin being Howth and Malahide but moreso Malahide because of all the amenities and the various different walks that you can go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

My girlfriend lives in an apartment in Rockfield, right beside the new dundrum shopping centre and LUAS station and right beside a lovely field with great views..and little white sheep! Fantastic area altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Id like to live in ranelagh, if I could afford it. lots of stuff around, and walking distance to town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I live in killinney, nice enough area, not it town, not in the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement