Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish kills!

Options
  • 15-04-2005 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I may be walking into a PC landmine but here goes.

I live in a small town and like all towns nowadays theres a substantial migrant worker population. Theres even a european foods shop set up that caters to many culinary choices. Its fine by me and everyone else that people should come here to earn a better living for themselves, heck I and millions of others did so for decades.

A lot of migrants are angling now and thats fine who'd deny anyone such a great pastime. Ive seen them carrying pike away from the lake, thats fine I beleive they can be prepared into a tasty dish. Ive only tried it once and found it tasteless but Im not a great chef :).

But heres the rub. Bream have been seen swaying on clothslines drying out.
    Skimmers and Pike are available in the shop I mentioned above. And some enterprising people are blending pastimes with business to sell the pike to that shop.

As far as I know nothing illegals going on here Pike are protected to a small degree but the rest of the coarse breeds can be harvested at will?. I heard there was something in the Star about new legislation coming in soon and I do hope its true. Fishing pressure allready does harm to fish stocks but its managable however thats when fish are being returned. Whats happening here will undo stocks in no time. This will damage tourism, local amenitys and Its just plain wrong to allow wildlife to be so abused.

Rant over
    Furez

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

Unfortunately it seems we live in a country run by idiots who only realise there's a problem when it bites them in the ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

2Poc wrote:
    Unfortunately it seems we live in a country run by idiots who only realise there's a problem when it bites them in the ass...

exactly, and they always wait til the problem blows up in there face and then wait take the easiest option to deal with it.

them migrants should be fu**in arrested, they are at it all over the country with nets and stuff-its a disgrace

deal with them by meetin them head on at the river or lake with the guards <<edited by jd>>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

I don't want to see anything suggesrting violence here. Also nothing racist.
    Remember these people come from cental european countries where fishmongers stock these species of fish. I agree the message needs to be given that it is not acceptable to harvest coarse fish in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

jd wrote:
    I don't want to see anything suggesrting violence here. Also nothing racist.

Fair enough, i just feel so strongly about this issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gulp

if they are removing too many of the fish then they should be putting some of their earned money into restocking the rivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Furez, its not only the migrant workers that are doing this. Being from the same area as yourself I know the problem well enough. There are certain loopholes in the fishery byelaws that allow a lake to be a 'no fish killing' water. My local coarse angling club have used this along with consent from a local landowner to take management of one of the best lakes in north monaghan and we can now protect the fish stocks using these laws. we also have a number of court appointed water keepers who are legally allowed to enforce these laws.

ranting on like racists will get us nowhere fast, the government aren't going to protect the coarse fish stock, so its up to anglers to sort it out. It can be done and it can be done legally on a local level with the full backing of the law.

Advertisement