Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap download speeds at the moment on Eircom 2MB

• 15-04-2005 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I've been getting truly awful download speeds on my Eircom 2Mbit connection. Local sites, such as ftp.heanet.ie come in at full speed (about 220 kByte/sec), but my news connection to SuperNews seems to be topping out at 85 kByte/sec, and downloads from Microsoft (updates, and ftp transfers from ftp.microsoft.com) are crawling in at a measly 32 kByte/sec !!!! It's not just me either, I was just at someone's house repairing a PC, and he has the same problems with his 1Mbit connection.

Is any one else experiencing problems? The prospect of actually having to call Eircom support is filling me with dread :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It could be the sites themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Microsoft released a bunch of updates a couple of days ago, their site seems to be running slow since then (getting hammered by people downloading them maybe?), I've noticed this on IOL and Eircom BB connections. Both DSL connections have been fine otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd think the same if it was just one or two, but it's virtually everything on the other side of the pond that seems slow. Maybe a shark's bitten through an undersea cable or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

downloading Embedded Visual Tools from microsoft.com at the moment at 6.25kb/sec on an eircom 4mb dsl connection. Must be MS that is slow.

Incidentally speed upgraded when modem was restarted, however speed test seems to top out at 3 Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've tried a few other ftp sites in the US and they're all slow. Maybe an important transatlantic link is playing up, so stuff's getting rerouted, it's happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Microsoft download and update servers are slow at the moment due to the deployment of Service pack 1 to Windows 2003 servers. Ive not had any problem downloading from any other us sites, only the MS server.

Advertisement