Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel 3 day test drive.

Options
  • 15-04-2005 3:09pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I heard about this the other day on the raido,they will let you test drive any of there new cars for 3 days... :eek: not bad.You just have to have be over 21 and have a full driving licence.

Has anybody taken them up on this offer...?if so any Terms & Conditions we should no about...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sounds good...
    I have bought 3 cars from new in my time (prob won't ever buy from new again) and twice i walked away from a deal because the sales rep wouldn't let me take the car overnight, (under my own insurance, and leavin gmy car in the dealership).
    But most other times a dealer will give you an overnight test drive if you really push them, or arrange an overnight for you with the distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I am 21 & 6 months....I wonder does that count as being over 21.....I wouldn't mind thrashing a nice new Astra for a few days or maybe a nice Vectra 3.2i GSI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

guys are gona be taking the cars for 'the weekend trip to galway' or whatever and ripping the guts out of the engine. Would you buy a test driven car with 400 miles on the clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

ando wrote:
    Would you buy a test driven car with 400 miles on the clock?
    Yes.

What's the worst they can do in 400 miles?? Everything's under warranty anyway, so what's the problem?

Dealers over here usually let you take a car for up to a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

ando wrote:
    Would you buy a test driven car with 400 miles on the clock?

No.Not for a full new car price.For a substantial discount, then yes. ~1000-1500 off the new price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

hmm the Opel Astra Sport hatch looks the dogs dangles, look at that windscreen!!! I think I'll be taking that for 3 days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Three Days in an Opel *shudders*!

Mike.

totally ot, but why is it that the english call it vauxhall? and is it only them that does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

ando wrote:
    totally ot, but why is it that the english call it vauxhall? and is it only them that does it?

Correction: 'why is it only them WHAT does it?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

ive signed up but heard nothing, just wanted it for the laugh more then anything(but if they put enough petrol in it then ill have a couple of days free motoring), rather then acutally buying.

want for the opel astra. will let you know if i hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How much for the new astra and whats the lowest engine size? where are they doing this offer? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ando wrote:

Its an historical anomoly - Vauxhall goes back to the mid 19th century they started making cars in 1903 in the late 20s they were bought out by GM. Meanwhile GM had thier European marque Opel which for years operated alongside Vauxhall in the UK and Ireland In the late 70s/early 80s Vauxhall ceased designing its own cars and became Opel UK for all intents and purposes.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I assume you need your own insurance for this, or is anyone over 21 with a full licence eligible, whether currentlydriving or not.

in the terms and conditions it says if you have comp insurance you can transfer no security required, otherwise a valid credit or laser card needed for security. doesnt mention anything else about insurance requirements.

@hal1 go to www.opel.ie and select million mile test drive, read the terms and conditions and register for a car off your local opel garage or ring the number on the site either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

My car has been off the road for the last 2 days getting a new bumper put on and rented a compact 4 door - ended up with an 05 Astra. Wouldnt have minded getting this free for 2 days as certainly didnt enjoy paying €55 for the pleasure of driving it :) but there you go!

Car looked fantastic externally and interior wasnt bad but pretty disappointed with the engine, not very responsive and a bit spongey feeling overall and not great on fuel economy either. Didnt compare very well with the (old) focus to my mind but packed with loads of extras which was good.

At least the good thing is if you were genuinly interested in buying this car it would give you good peace of mind before buying it whether you really liked it or not so kudos for Opel for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is there anything to stop ppl just taking advantage with no intention of ever buying one?

nothing in the one term and condition anyway

I ordered a 3dr Sport Hatch for a few weekends time. I assume its going to be the 1.4 and not the 2.0 Turbo but here's hopin.....either way can't wait to give it a right good thrashin!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Done this a few weeks ago.

Turns out it's all done through Enterprise Car Rental. They supply the cars (all Opels obviously) and Opel pick up the tab for the 3 days rental. You actually have to sign the Enterprise car rental agreement before you take it away. Each garage has one of each model. Bog standard ones i might add. The vectra is a 1.6 Litre. No choice on what spec you get. Oh and they have horrible yellow stickers all around the car saying "Join the Opel Million Mile Test Drive - Phone xxxxxx" - kind of embarrasing really. But then again, my car had been in the garage having a few things done for a couple of days so i saw it as a free replacement while it was being done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Just applied for a vectra for the 1st july weekend. going away for the weekend and it would be class to swan around in it :)

It's cool to have a free car for a few days alright but just be aware of the bright yellow stickers all around the car! Really takes away from the experience IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

DukeDredd wrote:
    It's cool to have a free car for a few days alright but just be aware of the bright yellow stickers all around the car! Really takes away from the experience IMO.

just peel them off ;)

:D

DukeDredd wrote:
    Won't bother me....I'm only 21 and I'm gettin a a brand new car to spin around in for 3 days! For Free

Aside : Do you have to fill out some survey after?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

nice!

Just booked a Vectra for the 12th july. Should be fun racing that against the 97 passat!

fletch wrote:
    Won't bother me....I'm only 21 and I'm gettin a a brand new car to spin around in for 3 days! For Free

Aside : Do you have to fill out some survey after?

Nope, nothing to fill in after. They walk around the car with you to make sure you're happy there's no dents or damage on it and they do the same when you bring it back. Standard car rental stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Milo

Have done this twice so far getting a corsa both times. Took the first one to Galway (from Dublin) and the second (same car same garage!) to Achill. Got the car the first time with 306km on the clock and gave it back with nearly 1200km and the second time got it with 3500km gave it back with just short of 4500km. The dealer didn't even check! He just had a look at the body to make sure there was no scratches!

If you don't have your own insurance the garage will put you on theirs for the 3 days.

The Astra's are all gone according to your one on the phone as they are the most popular cars! Lots of friends of mine have gotten Merivas and Zafiras and one a Vectra but no Astras!

Usually takes them within a week to phone you back to organise it..just have your licence number and credit card details handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i filled out the form online yesterday and got a call at 9.10am today.

Wife has a vectra in a week too. Oh my god this just asks for abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

i filled out the form online yesterday and got a call at 9.10am today.

Wife has a vectra in a week too. Oh my god this just asks for abuse!
    I filled in the form yesterday also. Will have a zafira (I know, but I have kids) in a couple of weeks.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

So, when you get the car for 3 days, do any of you really want to buy one afterwards? Eg, get attached to the new car and think of buying it (I assume that's the whole idea behind the scheme)

Advertisement