Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel 3 day test drive.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

byte wrote:
    So, when you get the car for 3 days, do any of you really want to buy one afterwards? Eg, get attached to the new car and think of buying it (I assume that's the whole idea behind the scheme)

Kind of - if you do drive an older car like myself it's difficult to hand it back alright! But i wouldn't just jump straigh in. I hear other cars the same price are much better than the Vectra.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

When is this offer over...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Have to say after havin the 3dr Astra for the weekend, I will never look my nose down at an Opel again. The car handled beautifully, was quick for a 1.4, sound system was top notch.
    My only criticisms were the brakes lacked feel, the heater controls were too low and the C pillar created a huge blind spot. Other than that, the car looked great, was very comfortable & an enjoyable drive.
    Certainly changed my perceptions of Opel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dub13 wrote:
    When is this offer over...?
    14th July This Thursday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I had the Zafira over the weekend. I really hated the gearbox, really clunky. I wouldnt buy one.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

fletch wrote:
    Have to say after havin the 3dr Astra for the weekend, I will never look my nose down at an Opel again.

So some good is coming out of this for Opel....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

picking up a vectra tommorrow, should be fun ;)

picking up a vectra tommorrow, should be fun ;)
    Very enjoyable red lining her through the first 3 gears it has to be said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

They still call it vauxhall in uk so as people think it's an english company.
    the name actually comes from a country house.
    To make a long story short foxhall became vauxhall, where a marine engine company set up business.
    They started making cars got bought by GM, the world has Opels the UK has Vauxhalls!
    Potted history.

So my Dad picked up his Vectra yesterday....went out 4 a spin in it last nite. What an awful awful car....took it to a roundabout....was doing 10mph slower around it than we can comfortably do in our Mondeo & the thing felt like it was going to topple over....would certainly not make me rush out & buy a Vectra. Gear change is horrible, engine is gutless(1.6) and brakes (like d astra i had) lack feel but are nonetheless powerful. Only nice feature is havin cruise control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jason_G_KE30

I just gave them a call at 1850 200 856 because the window wouldn't open up for me, if anyone is interested the offer is practically finished, and you would have to pick up the car today and have it back to them on Friday!

So my Dad picked up his Vectra yesterday....went out 4 a spin in it last nite. What an awful awful car....took it to a roundabout....was doing 10mph slower around it than we can comfortably do in our Mondeo & the thing felt like it was going to topple over....would certainly not make me rush out & buy a Vectra. Gear change is horrible, engine is gutless(1.6) and brakes (like d astra i had) lack feel but are nonetheless powerful. Only nice feature is havin cruise control

First impressions:

I thought the overall grip was pretty good. The seating position is a bit high so it "feels" a bit unstable at first, thats just perception though. I thought the body roll was okay and the grip was quite impressive for its size. The transition to understeer was smooth and turn in was positive. Out of interest, what tyres and wheels are on your car?

Gear lever I could live with, but the clutch feels like its not there!

The indicators drive me nuts, I much prefer the older "mechanical" type of lever.

Brakes lack feel under gentle use but give nice feedback when pressed hard and definatly work effectivly.

The engine is quite odd. Powerband is nice and even, no peaks really. By no means a quick car but the engine + gearbox provide a smooth ride. According to Opel, peak power is at 6000RPM IIRC. The engine does not sound at all happy above 5500 and seems to run out of puff at 5200. Bringing it up to 6000 just feels like all you are doing is generating heat. The redline is 6500, not a hope in hell im bringing it that far, it sounds far too strained!

After driving it for a while, Ive found it to be a comfortable car that handles relativly well, although it it not an involving car at all. However, the interior is horrid! The numbers on the speedo are a bit small for my liking. The sound system is decent.

Overall its not too bad, but at 26K ish, Id rather buy a classic and have some change left over to run and insure it!

First impressions:

I thought the overall grip was pretty good. The seating position is a bit high so it "feels" a bit unstable at first, thats just perception though. I thought the body roll was okay and the grip was quite impressive for its size. The transition to understeer was smooth and turn in was positive. Out of interest, what tyres and wheels are on your car?
    The tyres were 205/55/16s Bridgestone Turanzas....it wasn't really the tyres that posed the problem, it was the body roll that was quite severe.

Gear lever I could live with, but the clutch feels like its not there!
    seems to be a common trait with Opels, the Astra I had, the clutch was really light but that wouldn't bother me too much
    The indicators drive me nuts, I much prefer the older "mechanical" type of lever.
    Agreed! And so did everyone else who drove the car

Brakes lack feel under gentle use but give nice feedback when pressed hard and definatly work effectivly.
    They are very strong indeed but again, I prefer my pedals with a bit more feel....initially it was difficult being smooth with the brakes
    However, the interior is horrid! The numbers on the speedo are a bit small for my liking. The sound system is decent.
    The dash was just tacky....looks like in about 3 years all the paint will start chippin off....one saving grace for the Vectra was the cruise control which my dad doesn't have on the Mondeo

Same boots on the car I had too.

LOL, the cruise control was funny to use on the M50, it spent more time off than on!

Still WTF where they thinking with that dash?

Same boots on the car I had too.

LOL, the cruise control was funny to use on the M50, it spent more time off than on!
    You didn't try going up any steep hills in 5th at <30mph....I did & the whole car just died!....liked the way the cruise control would return to your preset speed after you accelerate.....very handy when you need to overtake....u can still have the cruise on....plant it...overtake and let the car gradually return back to your previous cruising speed

no, didnt try the CC uphill. Tried 4 or 5 clicks of handbrake though. Seemed like the CC was limited to apply up to 25% throttle or so.

Anyway, last day with her. Ill miss her a bit, hopefully other manufacturers will do the same plan, would be nice to get a comparison with the others in the same class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I had the Meriva for 3 days and the Astra Sport for 3 days. I am another person who will never look down my nose at an Opel again.

The Meriva was dire, but the Astra was a dream. I loved it and even haggled afterwards with the sales guys about the price, but I think for the price they are charging you can get more of a car. :(
    I miss it though...

WizZard wrote:
    but the Astra was a dream. I loved it and even haggled afterwards with the sales guys about the price, but I think for the price they are charging you can get more of a car. :(
    I miss it though...
    Aw I miss it too! It felt so racy....loved how high up the side windows were....really made you feel like you were low down & safe too.
    Here's hopin alright that the other manufacturers do the same but not very likely.

Advertisement