Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send Text to Mobile using web form

Options
  • 15-04-2005 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm a O2 customer and I use O2 online form to send free text. Does anybody know if it's possible to reproduce the form on a different website and use the O2 facility without having to login to O2 website?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'm pretty sure you would have to get permission from o2 to do this, and more than likely they will charge you for using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 scotty_xml

O2 offer 250 FREE texts to each customer (every month) anyway, so why do you want them to charge me for the service? They already FREE.

I just don't want to login to their website. I'm wondering if I could use my 250 texts without having to login to O2 website.

I seem to have a problem with the code. It doesn't let me send the text. I probably need some hidden field for user authentification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

scotty_xml wrote:
    O2 offer 250 FREE texts to each customer (every month) anyway, so why do you want them to charge me for the service? They already FREE.
    When did free also mean unconditional? Had you considered that the reason that they offer those free SMS is so that they can get people going to their site so they can up-sell them extra services? Did your daddy never teach you that there isn’t such a thing as a free lunch?
    I seem to have a problem with the code. It doesn't let me send the text. I probably need some hidden field for user authentification.
    I'd imagine it's using a combination of session cookies / URL rewriting and / or HTTP referrer checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would imagine that they have a check to see that the form was submitted on their domain. TBH, I would be worried if they did allow this functionality. If you were able to do this, then what is to stop you from sending text messages from someone else's number?

eoin_s wrote:
    If you were able to do this, then what is to stop you from sending text messages from someone else's number?
    The fact that the originating MSISDN is not one of the parameters in the form?

• Advertisement

When did free also mean unconditional? Had you considered that the reason that they offer those free SMS is so that they can get people going to their site so they can up-sell them extra services? Did your daddy never teach you that there isn’t such a thing as a free lunch?

I'd imagine it's using a combination of session cookies / URL rewriting and / or HTTP referrer checks.

Did you daddy never teach you that if you don't ask, you will never know!

Of course it is for marketing purpose. But it doesn't mean there is no way around it.

eoin_s wrote:
    I would imagine that they have a check to see that the form was submitted on their domain. TBH, I would be worried if they did allow this functionality. If you were able to do this, then what is to stop you from sending text messages from someone else's number?

That's not the issue. You simply need to send your username and phone number in fields for O2 to recognise you. O2 need to recognise a session number to authorise texts to be send which I don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The fact that the originating MSISDN is not one of the parameters in the form?

Sorry - don't follow you at all :confused:

My point was that if you could create a custom form without having to log in, then presumably you could specify a different mobile number to your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Here is a java class I made that makes sending your 250 free messages from o2's site trivial. If you are looking for a php or other version you can always look at the code to see how the login and messege sending process works and develop your own version.

scotty_xml wrote:
    Did you daddy never teach you that if you don't ask, you will never know!
    Your original post was asking, your second one was whinging. I was citing the second.
    But it doesn't mean there is no way around it.
    There is, if you search through the archives of this forum you should find one or two apps that deep link into it.
    eoin_s wrote:
    My point was that if you could create a custom form without having to log in, then presumably you could specify a different mobile number to your own.
    Well, fair enough. But checking that the forum was submitted from their domain has nothing to do with being logged in. in theory a page on another server or your desktop with a form that includes fields to log in as you send a message, then it would not matter. This is in essence how most HTTP based SMS service providers work. Of course, you have to pay for those...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

clearz wrote:
    Here is a java class I made that makes sending your 250 free messages from o2's site trivial. If you are looking for a php or other version you can always look at the code to see how the login and messege sending process works and develop your own version.

Thank you clearz

Thats some great code,shame i'm vodavone :rolleyes:

have you tried to create a midlet that can do this, save a small fortune in ext costs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Thank you clearz

have you tried to create a midlet that can do this, save a small fortune in ext costs :D

Google for o2sms, vodasms or meteorsms. This topic has been discussed to death on this and other forums in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Thank you clearz

I have a nokia 6600 bluetooth phone and a bluetooth dongle on my computer at home. I use this class in an application I wrote that lets me basically send messages for free from my phone when im within a 10 meter radius of my computer(most spots in thehouse). Its sweet:):).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone know of any python scripts to send free sms :) .You might know or not, but theres an application called Xbox media center that runs of course on a modified xbox. Anyways, it supports python, so ppl write various scripts to do certain, so as watch movie trailers, music videos, even check train timetables. Anyways, i thought it would be cool to be able to send free txt messages from the xbox. So i was wondering could something like the o2sms perl script http://www.mackers.com/projects/o2sms/ be written in python or would that be impossible! Any information would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

So i was wondering could something like the o2sms perl script http://www.mackers.com/projects/o2sms/ be written in python or would that be impossible! Any information would be much appreciated

Go learn Perl, and then learn Python, and re-write the script in Python. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

do a google for a program called genie texter it will do what u need. works on uk sites that use the logons like o2 uk, orange etc so no reason it wont work on o2 ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Not really dramatically relevant. Unless they specifically state otherwise in their TOS (some do, but most don't) you can use any http client to access their SMS sending application. If they don't like this, they'll have to put something in their TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

no exe for meteor i see ive just set up o2 on the command line in win xp o2sms (persons name) so cool

Advertisement