Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inter get stadium ban for 6 games (+fine)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

this is a good outcome and will certainly make clubs take this issue seriously .

there is already a ban on flares in Italian football its just not very well inforced .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

can away fans still travel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i don't think it's harsh enough......perhaps being banned from europe for a season or two as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

daveirl wrote:

I think that's hit the nail on the head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's only four games - two are suspended. It's not nearly harsh enough. They should have been banned from Europe for one season minimun, but because they're not a Premiership team, nothing happens.

Take Turkey for example - two Leeds fans were stabbed to death there and how are they punished? By being given the hosting rights for the Champions League final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It is harsh. They lose millions of pounds like 8 mill from the four home games behind doors and FFS it was not that big a deal! Ok it was very serious that Dida got hit but still its the thug fans not Inter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

But still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

daveirl wrote:

How can you expect a club to be responsible for who supports them? ANyone can choose any team, they are not officially affliated with the club in any way. Anyboby can buy a ticket for any ground and decide to support that particular team on that given day.

Do Inter even own any of the San Siro or is it Milan's stadium (or totally inter's for that matter?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4439545.stm

Good enough for them. Scumbags.

That'll cost them €ms in the long run. They'll have to start stamping down on fans in future. Good start would be to ban flares.

But they will have no policing costs and if they win them games will make money so a fan ban is a token gesture really.They should have got banned from european competitions for a season or two.No-one can really compare this and english clubs as english fans rampaged through europe for 10/15 years and heysel was the final straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

How can you expect a club to be responsible for who supports them? ANyone can choose any team, they are not officially affliated with the club in any way. Anyboby can buy a ticket for any ground and decide to support that particular team on that given day.

Do Inter even own any of the San Siro or is it Milan's stadium (or totally inter's for that matter?)

I think the San Siro is owned by the city of Milan, most italian stadiums are municipal property. The club have a responsibility towards the safety of the players and the fans. If they allow people to bring in flares and other potentially dangerous objects, the club must take responsibility when these items are used as weapons. At the abandoned Roma game earlier in the season the referee was hit with either a coin or cigarette lighter, and they received a similar ban. The violence in the San Siro was more serious, the missiles thrown were more dangerous, and I think Inter deserve a much more serious punishment. They will have to play behind closed doors for the group stages and first knockout stage of next years Champions league. Italian teams don't normally get big crowds in the group stages of the Champions league, so the financial penalty won't be that big in terms of gate receipts.

attendances
    30-45000 in a 90000 seat stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the punishment is nothing more than a joke

a 2 or 3 season ban would have sufficed but UEFA again bottled it

abccormac wrote:
    I think the San Siro is owned by the city of Milan, most italian stadiums are municipal property. The club have a responsibility towards the safety of the players and the fans. If they allow people to bring in flares and other potentially dangerous objects, the club must take responsibility when these items are used as weapons. At the abandoned Roma game earlier in the season the referee was hit with either a coin or cigarette lighter, and they received a similar ban. The violence in the San Siro was more serious, the missiles thrown were more dangerous, and I think Inter deserve a much more serious punishment. They will have to play behind closed doors for the group stages and first knockout stage of next years Champions league. Italian teams don't normally get big crowds in the group stages of the Champions league, so the financial penalty won't be that big in terms of gate receipts.

attendances
    30-45000 in a 90000 seat stadium

A few people have said here that flares are not outlawed in Italy, so surely it's down to the Italian FA. At the end of the day if people want to throw stuff they will throw it. Short or making everyone wear a jersey shorts and soft runners into the ground and not being allowed to carry ANYTHING (inc money lighters etc) theres not much you can do to stop them, bar banning the individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

glad to see it.Although, it seems a bit stupid, that they are only really going to be punished next year. The fans are still going to be scum in the Seria A. They should get 6 match bans starting immediately, plus a banning from Europe next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

What exactly does the ban mean? Obviously no fans will be allowed to the game, will it also mean that there will be no TV coverage? That would hurt their opponents revenues too. They should be thrown out of europe for a season, but what do you expect from UEFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Games will be on tv somehwere.

Ban is a joke, they in Cl next year so if they got as far as they did this season, there fans would be back in by the qtrs.

kdjac

TimAy wrote:
    glad to see it.Although, it seems a bit stupid, that they are only really going to be punished next year. The fans are still going to be scum in the Seria A. They should get 6 match bans starting immediately, plus a banning from Europe next year.

Do UEFA have the power to impose a ban in Seria A, or does this have to be done by the Italian FA?

• Advertisement

What exactly does the ban mean? Obviously no fans will be allowed to the game, will it also mean that there will be no TV coverage? That would hurt their opponents revenues too. They should be thrown out of europe for a season, but what do you expect from UEFA.

The matches will still be shown, a la Roma's games in the group stages. The sponsors would probably kick up murder if they wer'nt shown and at the end of the day, money talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

It's only four games - two are suspended. It's not nearly harsh enough. They should have been banned from Europe for one season minimun, but because they're not a Premiership team, nothing happens.

Take Turkey for example - two Leeds fans were stabbed to death there and how are they punished? By being given the hosting rights for the Champions League final.

Come on, let's not make a tragedy out of this. They only threw a few flares and if Dida wasn't so stupid to stay there, he wouldn't have been hit by one of them.

I am not trying to defend them, but Inter has won nothing for 15 years and the humiliation of loosing the "derby" for the 3rd time this year, must have been overwhelming for the supporters.

4 games ban is more than enough, I think overall a fair sentence! At the end of the day nobody got injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They only threw a few flares

1 is too many.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

daveirl wrote:

I am not trying to justify Inter's supporters, I am just saying that Dida should have gone away as at that moment and time it was unsafe to stay there. He got injured, but nothing serious at all, come on!

My point is that they didn't attack Milan's supporters or cause major incidents or damage to people, that's why I believe 4 games ban is a fair sentence.
    More importantly, they should try to track down the supporters who threw flares and give a 2 years ban from the stadium (which believe me, for them would be worse than going to jail).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dida should not have went away, he was trying to continue the game like the ref told him to.
    My point is that they didn't attack Milan's supporters or cause major incidents or damage to people

Dida was roughly 4 centimetres away from either being blinded, getting a serious concussion, and could possibly have been killed.

More importantly, they should try to track down the supporters who threw flares and give a 2 years ban from the stadium (which believe me, for them would be worse than going to jail).

What about we ban them for life, and arrest them for assault.
    Just because its in a football stadium doesn't change any legal issue.
    Then we ban Inter for 2 years from European football,. MAke them loose millions of euro, and see if this ever happens again? I doubt it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think they should of been forced to play all home games next season. I think talk of throwing them out of europe is a load of ****e though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

While Inter's fan are without question responsible and the people who through the flares should be imprisoned i dont think you can lay tooo heavy a blame at Inters door. If this was a regular thing and they took no steps whatsoever to recitfy the matter then ok, do what u will but Inter have very little control over their fans.
    Football is a passionate game which makes the controlling of fans very difficult under the best of cirumstances. Loosing 3 times to your closest rival is far from the best of circumstances. Dont get me wrong, id love if the people (person?) who did it got chucked in prison and the key thrown away but to blame Inter and suggest they loose millions (yes millions) over a small group of fans (ok i ddint see the incident but i trust it wasnt a whole stand throwing things) throwing things is goign over board. Sure if this was a regular occurance and Inter did nothing then id be all for them having the book thrown at them but for a once time offence by a fan to have anything more serious happen with be terrible.
    It may lead to people who really hate a club (*or group of people) dressing up in jerseys and going to a game with just the intention of getting a club kicked out of the campions league for a few seasons or whatever (NOT SAYING THATS WHAT HAPPENED HERE).
    Again i do in no way condone the actions of those "supporters" but to blame the club in such a way that anything that happens to the person responsible is greatly overshadowed by what happens to the club is not right. I feel this would be similar to (tho not the same obviously, i realise this) someone going to say Tesco's and throwing a bar of soap at a Dunnes employee who is there and tescos then being told they cant open for x days becaue of it. If it happened again and nothing had been done to prevent it then you can say they are to blame sure., but once and making them loose MILLIONS is absurd.

At the end of the day people are responsible for their own actions. Clubs etc can only try their best to guide their supporters in the right direction (but there will always be extremists in any sport).

Now all above is said by an Inter supporter so you may or may not think thats relevant when reading the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

abccormac wrote:
    I think the San Siro is owned by the city of Milan, most italian stadiums are municipal property.

OT I know, but as far as I know AC Milan are the owners (it was a gift from the Pirelli family according to this site) and Inter rent it from them.

On-topic; should have got a harsher ban, no doubt. However it's pretty impossible to stop the flares getting in, they're easily concealable and the security can't go patting down 80,000 fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

PiE wrote:
    OT I know, but as far as I know AC Milan are the owners (it was a gift from the Pirelli family according to this site) and Inter rent it from them.

On-topic; should have got a harsher ban, no doubt. However it's pretty impossible to stop the flares getting in, they're easily concealable and the security can't go patting down 80,000 fans.

Anytime i've gone to a game in Europe (France), i've been patted down and there were at least 50,000 at some of those games. Had soft drinks cans taken, bottle tops taken, bamboo flagstick taken and my mate even had a zippo lighter confiscated at a PSG match in the Parc de Princes.....it's not a detailed search but most dangerous items can be taken within a 10 second patdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was patted down for the United Milan game, but if they had found flares, they wouldn't have cared

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

And what action was taken against the ref for his dire performance that night or sheva's for his headbutt.....

Oh right none, typical of uefa :rolleyes:

Remember it was the ref's performance that sparked off the flare throwing which was not excusable but WAS understandable!

ziggy67 wrote:
    Sorry Dave, i was actually meaning you were accusing UEFA of being anti-english not that you yourself were being anti-english.

and he's right Uefa are anti English .

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    How so? Because they banned English clubs after the deaths of 39 people?

no that is not an example of them being anti English but possibly Heysel is a reason why they are anti English .

ziggy67 wrote:
    Fair enough, can you give any examples of where UEFA have been anti-english?

im probably thinking of FIFA , but threats made towards the FA about their teams competing in a major tournament after crowd trouble from English fans , yet this crowd trouble paled in comparrison to what Turkish fans were up to yet they(turkish Fa) only received very small fines .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

would away fans get in?

or would they be as well playing in their training ground and saving the san siro pitch

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote:
    would away fans get in?

or would they be as well playing in their training ground and saving the san siro pitch

Play in San Siro , and no fans from either side , you will be able to hear everything including coughing from camera-men

Big Ears wrote:
    Play in San Siro , and no fans from either side , you will be able to hear everything including coughing from camera-men

Yeah the Roma game was priceless. When Leverkusen scored and then ran over and celebrated in front of the empty stand. It's good for nothing if not novelty factor of seeing a game in an empty stadium.

Advertisement