Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had 1024 Kbps now back to 512 Kbps

• 15-04-2005 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Had 1024 Kbps download and now I'm back to 512 Kbps. Has anyone had a simalar problem? The network is supposed to be upgradeed and I was downloading @ 1024 Kbps but the folowling week the download returned to 512 Kbps.

Anyone know why?
    :)
    Asked my provider!
    Utvip do not know why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

U asked your provider and they said they don't know?

Go back to them and again and again... until they come up with at least a reasonable reason!

They should know or at least try doing sthing to figure it out!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 twinspeaker

Thanks mart_max

Had a chat with UTVip and they are getting eircom to test the line, 5 days gone and I'm still waiting???

Hope all you UTVip broadband customers are enjoying the faster download speed(1mb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Bodan

I had the same problem yesturday , my connection suddenly dropped to 640.
    I worked it out today when i noticed the main phone in the hallway gone , i had some internal wireing issues . Fixed it earlier this morning

I did a dsl line diagnosis last night which told me all i needed to know
    at 640 i was at 112% relative capacity occupation and now today with it fixed at 1024 im down to 12%

If you can post your downstream stats and i can tell you if its a similar problem

They look similar to this
    relative capacity occupation: 12%
    noise margin downstream: 43.0 db
    output power upstream: 2.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 34.5 db

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

I'm gonna jump right in here. You seem to know what you're talking about Bodan.

Are these good/bad/bloody awful...
    Downstream..
    relative capacity occupation: 11%
    noise margin downstream: 46.0 db
    attenuation downstream: 18.0 db

Upstream...
    relative capacity occupation: 18%
    noise margin upstream: 30.0 db
    output power downstream: 17.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 14.5 db

I just don't feel I'm getting the benefit of 1Mb. A few (1 or 2) torrents going at about 15K/s to 25K/s and surfing becomes very slow. I would have expected a little more, well, bandwidth. BTE, I'm on IOLBB, 1Mb using the fabulous Zyxel 600!

Thanks in advance - no pressure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Bodan

SwampThing wrote:
    I'm gonna jump right in here. You seem to know what you're talking about Bodan.

Are these good/bad/bloody awful...
    Downstream..
    relative capacity occupation: 11%
    noise margin downstream: 46.0 db
    attenuation downstream: 18.0 db

Upstream...
    relative capacity occupation: 18%
    noise margin upstream: 30.0 db
    output power downstream: 17.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 14.5 db

I just don't feel I'm getting the benefit of 1Mb. A few (1 or 2) torrents going at about 15K/s to 25K/s and surfing becomes very slow. I would have expected a little more, well, bandwidth. BTE, I'm on IOLBB, 1Mb using the fabulous Zyxel 600!

Thanks in advance - no pressure!

Your line is pefect. Maybe the power output downstream is a bit high(nothing to worry about) but everything else is excellent .

surprised your torrents are so low . I use Bit tornado so i cant really help you if your using something else.

about the slow browsing , check the memory you have available , you may have too many processes running in the background which could be affecting your performance . Otherwise i would say its a dns server issue . Try putting Iols dns servers in your connection tab manually , that should increase you speed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ensure the global upload is set no higher than 8kb/s and also, maximum global connections = 200 , active torrents =3, maximum connections per torrent =80 , for good measure.
    also, change the port from the default to like 12000 or something lol

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Thanks for that - a little verbal hug is always welcome!
    I've 2Gig of ram in the machine, and a 1Gig page file so memory shouldn't be an issue.

I'll double-check the torrent settings JNive. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if you have 2 Gig Ram, you should have perhaps a 2Gig page file on a slave disk and another 1 Gig page file on your master disk, but aw well, nothing to do with Bittorrent performance hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

I have 1GB of RAM and set my pagefile to 250MB.

With 1GB of RAM you could almost turn off the pagefile if you dont do Paint Shop Pro/Photoshop image manipulation of play relativately new games.
    A large pagefile will slow down your entire system as RAM is capable of 6GBytes/s...but at best a HDD on burst transfer would give you 100MBytes/s!!!!

With your 2GBytes of RAM SwampThing you should turn off the pagefile if you dont do the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

JNive wrote:
    if you have 2 Gig Ram, you should have perhaps a 2Gig page file on a slave disk and another 1 Gig page file on your master disk, but aw well, nothing to do with Bittorrent performance hehe.
    BitTorrent relys on upload speeds as opposed to download speeds, which means the higher the upload speed the better your speed, so use direct downloads instead of BitTorrent

• Advertisement
Advertisement