Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Pubs in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

1, Sub Lounge (O'Reillys Tara St.)
    2. Doyles
    3. The Long Hall
    4. Toners
    5. Stags Head
    (that new place on Fade St. with the snail above the door beside L'Gueuleton
    is cool too, don't think it actually has a name, just the place with the snail above the door. Ooooooo how post-modern ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

shqipshume wrote: »
    Sides
    The Harp
    Tin pan alley
    Nightowls
    Spirit
    :p

After that their all shat,:(

LOL did Sides even serve drink? I was there but can't remember :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

deckie27 wrote: »
    LOL did Sides even serve drink? I was there but can't remember :D

Hahaha maybe because you had only water :D Yeah they had wine and ritz lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

McGrattons
    The Ivory (Dalkey)
    The Barge
    SU Bar UCD :)
    Flannerys'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Whats up with all these tourist trap pubs? Nobody know any good locals anymore?

1. The Oarsman (Ringsend)
    2. Mulligans (Poolbeg Street)
    3. Smyths (Fairview)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

bridigo wrote: »
    1. Cafe en Seine
    2. Ron Blacks
    3. Renards
    4. Cocoon
    5. Searsons
    What's this the 5 poshest pubs in Dublin? :)

Seriously Anto, the Oarsman? My family were thrown out of there for singing. Mainly a bunch of women, a girl with cerebral palsy and they wouldn't have been too drunk. The only time I ever drank there with 2 friends we were told to leave as well. In fairness that was early in the morning after the night before but we were just having a quiet session and it seems to me you have to be well known in there or all eyes are on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Seriously Anto, the Oarsman? My family were thrown out of there for singing. Mainly a bunch of women, a girl with cerebral palsy and they wouldn't have been too drunk. The only time I ever drank there with 2 friends we were told to leave as well. In fairness that was early in the morning after the night before but we were just having a quiet session and it seems to me you have to be well known in there or all eyes are on you.

It's a great pub. It's a lot more lax than it used to be. Has trad sessions on Thursday nights, easily the best pint of Guiness in the Dublin 2/4 area and one of the best in Dublin. Covered smoking area if you're that way inclined.
    it seems to me you have to be well known in there or all eyes are on you.

Not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Anto McC wrote: »
    Whats up with all these tourist trap pubs? Nobody know any good locals anymore?

Yeah, Lets show the tourists,proper Dublin pubs!

1. Noctors (Sherriff Street)
    2. Finches (Neilstown)
    3. Marble arch (Drimnagh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rebelsredzer

1. Stags Head
    2. International
    3. Nearys
    4. Keoghs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sín É
    Hartigans
    No.3 Fade St.
    Porterhouse (Temple Bar only)
    Nashes (Thomas St.)

I can't understand people liking Doyles... It's a dive. An unbearably loud, smelly, overcrowded dive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

IMO, any pub with TV screens automatically rules itself out of a 'top pubs' list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Some of the places mentioned in here are shocking!! Doyles??? Dawson St posh bars???

1. Walshes (Stoneybatter)
    2. Bowes (Fleet st)
    3. Mulligans (Poolbeg st)
    4. Long Hall (Aungier St.)
    5. Cobblestone (Smithfield)

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

1. The Welcome (Parnell St)

2. Grogans (South William St)

3. Brogans (Dame St)

4. The Lord Edward (Christ Church)

5. The Stag's Head (Dame Lane)

These pubs have some of the best Guinness in Dublin. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Some of the places mentioned in here are shocking!! Doyles??? Dawson St posh bars???

1. Walshes (Stoneybatter)
    2. Bowes (Fleet st)
    3. Mulligans (Poolbeg st)
    4. Long Hall (Aungier St.)
    5. Cobblestone (Smithfield)

Nuff said.

Walshes, Mulligan's and The Long Hall are posh enough bars. Good pubs but posh drinkers on the whole. Especially Walshes. Nuff said indeed.

Sin e
    Flowing Tide
    Shelbourne Bar (not Horseshoe)
    Cusack's on Northstrand.
    The George.

of all of them Walshes in the least posh, are you sure you know where i'm talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Whats good about any pub. Being a music fan, ive never been to a pub except the Bernard Shaw which plays good music, although there are a few places with good music but are terribly pretentious, ie The South William.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Whats good about any pub.

Guinness! Very few pubs actually serve top notch Guinness, the ones that do are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭eoghanie

I can't believe that only one person so far has listed Bowes. It's a hidden gem. Never too busy, great guinness, no loud music. Brilliant

Other four would be:

The Oak/Thomas Reads
    Mulligans
    McDaids
    Brogans

Some of those listed so far are awful!!

of all of them Walshes in the least posh, are you sure you know where i'm talking about?

I know them all very, very well and in particular Walshes. Wall to wall middle class country types thinking that they're being in someway bohemian after convincing themselves that Walshes is the real deal when it comes to Dublin drinking. Little do they realise that by flooding the door with the likes of themselves they've killed off the very essence of what they think exists there.
    I like Walshes a lot and I've also enjoyed what it has become over the last 10 years. Stoneybatter needs a pub like it. But it does attract a crowd that is most definately from the brighter side of the social spectrum.
    This opinion on that pub would be very broadly held by the original locals of the area. Pop into any of the other bars along the way Mulligan's, Glimmerman etc. and compare the people drinking in those pubs and then compare the clientel in Walshes. There is a huge social difference.
    The same can be done with Mulligan's and The Long Hall as there are pubs close by that a juxtaposition of the social scales can easily be done.
    These are good pubs you mention and I'm a regular frequenter of them all but it's wrong to consider them to be proper working class outfits.

Do I know what and where you're talking about? For sure I do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Some of the places mentioned in the early pages of this thread are just plain awful...:(

My top 5:

1. Mulligans
    2. PantiBar
    3. Thomas House
    4. Cobblestone
    5. Porter House

humberklog wrote: »
    I know them all very, very well and in particular Walshes. Wall to wall middle class country types thinking that they're being in someway bohemian after convincing themselves that Walshes is the real deal when it comes to Dublin drinking. Little do they realise that by flooding the door with the likes of themselves they've killed off the very essence of what they think exists there.
    I like Walshes a lot and I've also enjoyed what it has become over the last 10 years. Stoneybatter needs a pub like it. But it does attract a crowd that is most definately from the brighter side of the social spectrum.
    This opinion on that pub would be very broadly held by the original locals of the area. Pop into any of the other bars along the way Mulligan's, Glimmerman etc. and compare the people drinking in those pubs and then compare the clientel in Walshes. There is a huge social difference.
    The same can be done with Mulligan's and The Long Hall as there are pubs close by that a juxtaposition of the social scales can easily be done.
    These are good pubs you mention and I'm a regular frequenter of them all but it's wrong to consider them to be proper working class outfits.

Do I know what and where you're talking about? For sure I do.

The glimmerman is a kip. Walshes doesn't only attract that crowd there are some locals there too. Anyway I never said any of these places were proper working class, that's not one of my prerequisites for a good pub! I just wanted to slate people mentioning pretentious D4 hangouts like Ron Blacks and Cafe En Seine, when we're talking about good Dublin pubs, there's an ocean of difference between them and the people that mind their own business in Walshes.

The glimmerman is a kip. Walshes doesn't only attract that crowd there are some locals there too. Anyway I never said any of these places were proper working class, that's not one of my prerequisites for a good pub! I just wanted to slate people mentioning pretentious D4 hangouts like Ron Blacks and Cafe En Seine, when we're talking about good Dublin pubs, there's an ocean of difference between them and the people that mind their own business in Walshes.

Good point there alright, but The Glimmerman's not a kip. Beamish at 3 quid a pop for the last two years is decency, good smoking area, proper bar and a lounge that does its own thing and is nearly always lively. Not bad things to maintain these days.
    But you do say in one of your posts "Dawson St. Posh pubs!". My point is that it is whatever floats your boat. And as said I do drink and like the pubs you say. But being posh is relative. On a relative scale then Walshes is posh and is known to be by the long time locals of the area. As is Muligans, a pub that historicaly would atttract scribes of all sorts bur not those that worked the hot press, again it's relative.
    It's hard to knock a cluster of bars on one street for being posh and then selecting bars that would be well known in their locality for being posh.
    Mulligan's, Long Hall and more certainly than those two Walshes would most definately be known in there local quarters as being posh. It's relative.

Although it's tempting to do but criticising someone elses choices is silly as it would warp the end results and be quite futile as you'd only be opening your own choices to criticism.
    I like pubs a lot and other people like pubs and more than often the reasons differ.

Good grief someone even had the audacity to mention Neary's! 5 squids a scoop!? That's rape. (And yet I choose The Shelbourne. A bar that sells simple Guinness at 5.60!!. Because I see a difference...a choice. A personal selection).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

1) The Penthouse Ballymun
    2) Madigans Killbarack
    3) The Edenmore House Edenmore
    4) The Raheny Inn Raheny
    5) The Concorde Edenmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Good thread, given me lots of new places to check out!

1. Doyle's
    2. Karma
    3. Whelan's
    4. Fitsimon's
    5. Messer Maguire's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

In no particular order

1. O' Donoghues
    2. Whelans
    3. The Temple Bar (expensive, but the best guinness I have ever tasted)
    4. Rody Bolands
    5. The Dice Bar

3. The Temple Bar (expensive, but the best guinness I have ever tasted)

You need to get out more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

acorntoast wrote: »
    Market Bar is good for cheap enough* food, but it's like transiting through Ellis Island or something

Cheap good food, big difference, olives, cheese and meats are amazing, Guinness is good, excellent wine choice from proper bottles at good prices. I can see what you mean by the amount of people that are there, but I am ok with crowds of people, actually like it! I guess if you have agnostic or claustrophobic issues or just don't like crowds it's not for you.

edit; not suggesting you suffer from claustrophobia acorntoast..

I would be a Mulligans fan to
    Also
    The Bailey
    The Hairy Lemon
    Kehoes
    Sin É

Some of the pubs are actually good in Temple bar during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

No particular order to this

Beggars Bush
    Bull and Castle
    Porterhouse
    Horse Show House
    Balrothery Inn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement