Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Pubs in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Scien wrote: »
    And even better by night, if it's not decor & resonable prices you're after. ;)

I hear you my man. I spent many a night hunting in Temple Bar in my single years, excellent success rate. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

keen wrote: »
    1) The Penthouse Ballymun
    2) Madigans Killbarack
    3) The Edenmore House Edenmore
    4) The Raheny Inn Raheny
    5) The Concorde Edenmore

Is Madigans the one that is attached to the Tesco in Kilbarrack?

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Is Madigans the one that is attached to the Tesco in Kilbarrack?

Brgds
    Johnny

Yeah that's the one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Kehoes
    O'Connells (near the Portobello)
    The Woolshed
    Sin e
    My gaff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I like the Old Royal Oak in Kilmainham. An oasis of snugness in an area of poor local options. Wonderful Guinness and patrons for the most part. Don't bring your cat and expect to swing it, though.

Brogan's on Dame St.

The Villager in Chapelizod.

These are a few of my favourite pubs.

Edit - misread the point of this post, so

1) Brogan's
    2) The Villager
    3) Old Royal Oak
    4) Hogan's
    5) Solas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

lightening wrote: »
    Cheap good food, big difference, olives, cheese and meats are amazing, Guinness is good, excellent wine choice from proper bottles at good prices. I can see what you mean by the amount of people that are there, but I am ok with crowds of people, actually like it! I guess if you have agnostic or claustrophobic issues or just don't like crowds it's not for you.

agoraphobic is the word you're looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The Royal Oak is a lovely pub alright, it does get a bit too packed though.

It's great if you can get into the snug before the place packs up.

agoraphobic is the word you're looking for :)

Jaysus... thanks General, I'm a knob. I won't edit my post, to much fun for everyone else. "don't go to Market Bar if you are not sure about an after life... or god...."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Market bar has absolutely no atmosphere and sounds like a canteen, is overpriced, and the one time I bought some tapas there i was disappointed. I brought some American/English friends there who were visiting recently and they wanted to leave after one drink, I could see where they were coming from, I shall not darken it's door again.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I brought some American/English friends there

Ah, I can see where you are coming from there, you should have bought them to McDonalds or a chipper. I have a few Spanish and Italian friends over in Dublin, they love it, they reckon the helpings are too big for real tapas though, I agree but the service, ambiance, quality, value is well worth it. Mussels with Guinness goes down great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah, I can see where you are coming from there, you should have bought them to McDonalds or a chipper. I have a few Spanish and Italian friends over in Dublin, they love it, they reckon the helpings are too big for real tapas though, I agree but the service, ambiance, quality, value is well worth it. Mussels with Guinness goes down great!

Good food and kid friendly spot too, which is handy if you have one. Noisey place but depending on what your doing and what time of day then it doesn't always matter. The Guinness is the same price as The Long Hall BTW.

Good to see The Villager and Royal Oak getting deserved mentions.
    No.3 Fade has been getting my attention of late too. Didn't like it at first but it has found itself now and settled down nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

You need to get out more!

You joined boards after me yet have nearly twice as many posts. :p

Ah, Im only messin with ya.
    But seriously, It was the best guinness EVAAAAAAAAA.

humberklog wrote: »
    Good food and kid friendly spot too, which is handy if you have one.

Friends do, often meet up with them when they have the kids. Perfect if you go early.

Friends do, often meet up with them when they have the kids. Perfect if you go early.

Ryan's on Parkgate St., The Market and Cafe en Seine would be my top pubs when I've the nipper in tow.
    But The Maket's the best by a mile with kids. It's great food in a good space and at a good price to be giving a 5 year old. The chirizo or the squid dishes hit the mark with my girl.
    Far better option than the usual lowest common denominator pit stops for kids.

Why would I do that? Dubliners have so much more style than New Yorkers and Londoners?

Why would I do that? Dubliners have so much more style than New Yorkers and Londoners?

Style?

Not at all, I know some really stylish people from all parts of the world. Regarding eateries, next time they are over maybe Elephant and Castle might be more suited to their tastes if the didn't like the food in Market bar. It's a little overpriced, but does good burger/chicken wing fare...

Style?

Not at all, I know some really stylish people from all parts of the world. Regarding eateries, next time they are over maybe Elephant and Castle might be more suited to their tastes if the didn't like the food in Market bar. It's a little overpriced, but does good burger/chicken wing fare...

Style probably the wrong word, but you're going on like they're of poor taste because of where they're from. You seem to think that because they're American/English their restaurant choices will be unsophisticated! This coming from an Irish person - we only had one type of cheese here about 10 years ago ffs!

Anyway we weren't in the Market Bar to eat, maybe it's a different type of place if you're going in for a meal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

The canal bar beside guinness's and the blue lion had great pints of guinness. But you probably needed an armed body guard (or2)with you :)

but you're going on like they're of poor taste because of where they're from

Well, you said you tried the food and didn't like it. It's not for you or your American and English friends in that case. Not a matter of taste as in style or class. Maybe you just don't like that type of food, which is, and a lot of people agree, excellent Mediterranean fare.

10 years ago, a lot of people were eating much much more than one type of cheese.

10 years ago, a lot of people were eating much much more than one type of cheese.

I was exaggerating. I know tonnes of people that don't like the place because of lack of atmosphere and I thought the food was poor.
    Excuse me for criticising but you need to realise that not everyone in Dublin thinks everything about the place, the people, and even the market bar is absolutely f*cking fantastic and can't be bettered! Except for you of course!

• Advertisement

Excuse me for criticising but you need to realise that not everyone in Dublin thinks everything about the place, the people, and even the market bar is absolutely f*cking fantastic and can't be bettered! Except for you of course!

You are excused, but ease off on the language. No need to loose your rag cause I like things about my city and what is in it. If you are miserable, move on with your tonnes of people that don't like the Market Bar!

I like loads of things too I just dislike the Market Bar!!!!!!! It was the worst bloody tortilla I've ever paid money for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Tortillas? Tapas? I'm sorry but if your in a pub and buying tortillas or tapas, then your missing the point (excuse the pun).

Get yourself a pint and if your feeling hungy a packet of bacon fries. In my opinion, no pub that sells tortillas or tapas is ever going to be a top Dublin pub, or even a real pub for that matter.

I know Anto, that's why its not my top pub, but the pubs are evolving. I think they had to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm surprised some people are mentioning posh 'pubs' and overpriced establishments and above all, why would one pay 6quid+ a pint to drink in the tourist hole of Temple Bar?

Is this a thread about best pubs to 'be seen in' or a thread about the quality of the pub and its drink?

Maybe rename the thread title to real pubs where the locals actually drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You can tell a recession has hit by just reading page 1 and 2. :pac:

Anto McC wrote: »
    Tortillas? Tapas? I'm sorry but if your in a pub and buying tortillas or tapas, then your missing the point (excuse the pun).

Get yourself a pint and if your feeling hungy a packet of bacon fries. In my opinion, no pub that sells tortillas or tapas is ever going to be a top Dublin pub, or even a real pub for that matter.

well if you check my top 5 none of those poncey places are listed

Just on a little scoop about this afternoon and popped into Brogans. pint cost 4.50, then onto The Market and a pint cost 4.60 and then whipped into The Long Hall and the pint was 4.50. Ten cent cheaper than I thought. I was in Walshes last night too but can't remember the price. Oddly enough I was sitting with two barristers and two solicitior friends of mine. Yep, that's about right for the crowd in Walshes I thought to myself.

Still and all though surely this thread would have been far better served as a simple top5. No comments. Mud slinging other peoples choices only skews the outcome as people may be a bit more selective in their choices instead of being honest and simply picking the pubs they like for whatever reason they like them. Nothing comes of asking someone their opinion just to wrap them on the knuckels for not choosing what you deem to be a 'proper pub'.
    It would be far more interesting to see what pubs are indeed floating peoples boats. As opposed to what other people think where other people should be drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Fallons/The Capstan Bar, Coombe.

Hartigans, Leeson Street.

Mulligans, Poolbeg Street.

Porterhouse, Parliament Street

Kavanaghs, Prospect Square.

All chosen for the good beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I know Anto, that's why its not my top pub, but the pubs are evolving. I think they had to!

I know, it's disgusting :(

I like them old fashioned. The type of pubs my father grew up drinking in.

Advertisement