Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 on RTE 2

• 15-04-2005 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

For anyone that doesn't have Sky, RTE 2 are showing the 1st two episodes of Season 4 tonight. Starts at 9pm.
    Wonder will they show a double bill every week, to get up to where Sky currently are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tq

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did two weeks of double bills and then one episode a week after that (the way it was broadcast in America)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

should be good
    *crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

24 is brill seen most of the 4season n all of the rest
    well worth watching.

let's just say it's hardly the best series yet...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

steveland? wrote:
    let's just say it's hardly the best series yet...
    Heh. Yeah our 24 US thread has become a bit of a bitch-fest :) But the Sky One thread posters seem a bit happier. For some reason I've just had a horrid idea - Jack's mobile constantly rings out in 24. Wouldn't it be awful if he got Crazy Frog as his ring tone? Imagine him tensely running down the corridors, gun in his hand, and suddenly "a ding ding ding do daaaaaaaa"... Crazy....

ixoy wrote:
    Heh. Yeah our 24 US thread has become a bit of a bitch-fest :) But the Sky One thread posters seem a bit happier. For some reason I've just had a horrid idea - Jack's mobile constantly rings out in 24. Wouldn't it be awful if he got Crazy Frog as his ring tone? Imagine him tensely running down the corridors, gun in his hand, and suddenly "a ding ding ding do daaaaaaaa"... Crazy....

Oh for the love of god... :)

I had the CTU tone as my ringtone for a while... but that was just sad ;)

I think the US thread became a bitchfest when the show took such a downturn, the Sky thread hasn't really gotten to that point yet but I'd say it's only a matter of time... but I won't get started on that here since there's already a thread I bitch in :)

It could also be the case that us who are posting on the US thread are the ones who can't live without seeing it when it first comes out and love 24 enough to have it "posted" to us every week from America so when it's dissapointing it's really disappointing...

People watching it on Sky have more of a likelyhood to be people who just caught it this series and don't have the other brilliant series (hey I liked Series 3 once it got past the most boring Presidential storyline ever) to compare it to...

I also think 24 should be watched in 6 to 8 hour spurts... eliminates the week by week crap we have to deal with and means we don't get tired with storylines as easily (I stopped caring in the middle of Series 3 and stopped watching but bought the DVD when it came out and was hooked to it)

Anyway I wonder what incredibly annoying sponsor message RTE have between breaks this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

steveland? wrote:
    People watching it on Sky have more of a likelyhood to be people who just caught it this series and don't have the other brilliant series

or dont have broadband connections :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I've been a big fan of 24 since the first episode but I don't have SKY. To be honest hearing that this series hits a downturn doesn't surprise me that much. Series 2 was almost terminal by the end of the microchip escapade and only survived due to a particularily strong ending. Series 3, felt very messy to me but has some brilliant set pieces (F16 anyone?).

I like the opening to season 4. It has taken a new direction with Jack no longer part of CTU. It has a lot of the elements that make 24 brilliant.

I dunno about yet more Middle Eastern baddies. It's been done in series 2. And why the **** is Chloe still breathing.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    or dont have broadband connections :(
    Are you implying I'm doing something illegal?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

pauldeehan wrote:
    I've been a big fan of 24 since the first episode but I don't have SKY. To be honest hearing that this series hits a downturn doesn't surprise me that much. Series 2 was almost terminal by the end of the microchip escapade and only survived due to a particularily strong ending. Series 3, felt very messy to me but has some brilliant set pieces (F16 anyone?).

I like the opening to season 4. It has taken a new direction with Jack no longer part of CTU. It has a lot of the elements that make 24 brilliant.

I dunno about yet more Middle Eastern baddies. It's been done in series 2. And why the **** is Chloe still breathing.

Firstly,I hated Chloe last season,but she rocks this season!

Secondly,the middle eastern terrorists were only done for half season 2,it turned out white business men were behind the whole thing.and lets face it,the terrorists these days that hate america are middle eastern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Taking bets on how long RTE leave this series on Friday nights before putting on at 3am in the morning.

I am giving it may 5 to 10 weeks max

Elmo wrote:
    Taking bets on how long RTE leave this series on Friday nights before putting on at 3am in the morning.

I am giving it may 5 to 10 weeks max
    Doubt it. there's too much sponsorship to be made from a show like 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

Next weeks episode is only an hour long,from 9 to 10. That means that by the time Sky have the series finished, RTE will still only be half way through it.
    (I think Sky are 12 episodes into the new series, not sure about that though)
    At this rate the DVD box-set will be on sale before the series is finished on RTE.
    Last year it was great because Sky and RTE started showing it at the same time but RTE screened it on a Tuesday and Sky on a Thursday.
    RTE will have to change to two hour episodes but probably won't as that's too sensible a thing to do.
    I don't know why they waited so long to start showing this season, I thought it always had high ratings for the three previous seasons.
    Maybe they couldn't afford it until now or something?

lukin wrote:
    Last year it was great because Sky and RTE started showing it at the same time but RTE screened it on a Tuesday and Sky on a Thursday.
    That was really handy cos you got a chance to see it if you missed it. Until of course one of them decided to put on a double bill to get ahead of the other (not sure which channel it was) and messed up my video cos they didn't advertise it (I had it set because I was in work)

Had to wait for the DVD to see the rest but 24 is best watched on a DVD or something... you get tired of it week by week (well I know I have this series)

Doubt it. there's too much sponsorship to be made from a show like 24

MMMMM I just don't trust RTE.

I was surprised that they aren't showing Two episodes every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

Oral Slang wrote:
    For anyone that doesn't have Sky...

I believe the correct term is "losers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Hash Boy wrote:
    I believe the correct term is "losers".

Or maybe they're the ones who have sense. Let's face it, €53.50 a month is a heck of lot of dosh, considering for just over half that, broadband provides all the shows I like on Sky and more. Sky Digital (and Sky+) as a service is a strong product, but their recent over-reliance on ridiculous marketing techniques and sheer greed in pricing has caused the numbers dropping the service to increase. (Its churn rate, the rate at which people don't continue to subscribe, is up the past two years.)

Marketing-wise, it's a severe case of red button-itis, slapping programme promotions all over the screen DURING the programme, its voiceover woman's eagerness to speak over the end of a programme, before the Executive Producer credit has even appeared (and particularly during a poignant scene! Gah!)...

OK, so I'm kind of ranting, but part of me thinks that it's not the service it once was. Despite its modern state, Sky was, to me, a stronger, more unique service back in the early 1990s.

Anyway, maybe they're not the losers... (Goes to check to see how much Sky have gotten out of me this year...)

doh.ie wrote:
    broadband provides all the shows I like on Sky and more

couldnt that be viewed as theft :)

couldnt that be viewed as theft

So could sky prices :)

• Advertisement

indeed :D

back to 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Mossy Monk wrote:
    couldnt that be viewed as theft :)

Bit of a grey area. None of those shows are available to buy at the time, unlike music. So while I would say MP3 downloading IS theft, I'm not sure this is much different than borrowing a video from a friend (often with the full intention of buying said show on DVD down the line anyway.)

In any case, as Elmo says, Sky's prices are exorbitant when it comes to even the Family Pack (the first tier where there's anything worth having, which is intentional on their part.) Again, nothing against the service quality or the technology, but when it comes to subscription prices, Sky hiked ours by IR£1 every six months back in the 90s to the point, and they don't seem to have lost that habit.

I do believe legal TV show viewing over broadband is going to happen at some point in the next few years. Microsoft's Media Centre and other similar technologies are the beginning of the next TV revolution. And in terms of prices, Sky severely needs more competition. Cable in the UK and Ireland isn't up to a decent fight.

(Well off-topic now, sorry for the diversion.)

As for 24, great start on RTE2 broadcast-wise. (More gripes...) No end credits on the first one, a slate for "Sattitude" (??!?) appeared instead of the RTE bumper, and when it returned they chopped off the previously. Sure, they did this based on the fact it was two back-to-back, but it still looked a bit off.

As for 24, great start on RTE2 broadcast-wise. (More gripes...) No end credits on the first one, a slate for "Sattitude" (??!?) appeared instead of the RTE bumper, and when it returned they chopped off the previously. Sure, they did this based on the fact it was two back-to-back, but it still looked a bit off.

Yes I think they meant to go straight to an add break. Don't mind about the credits taken of the first episode, other the sattitude slate.

At least they did do what they did to the first series when they where showing double episodes which was not only to remove the Previously part but also to remove the opening credits which tend to be quite important on 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 00Nothing

At least they did do what they did to the first series when they where showing double episodes which was not only to remove the Previously part but also to remove the opening credits which tend to be quite important on 24.[/QUOTE]

I hated it when they did that. I was thankful for the double bills then, but always dreaded it when they did it. Last year's double bill was perfect as they broadcast both episodes (9 and 10) totally uncut and unaltered. As for the first two episodes of Day Four, I thought they were great. I was wary of so many new faces, but I think I'll get used to them. By the end of the second episode my nails were getting shorter (always a good sign). Here's hoping RTE treat the series with a little respect, although whether putting it up against The Late Late Show is a smart decision enough in terms of ratings, I don't know yet. Great start nevertheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

00Nothing wrote:
    As for the first two episodes of Day Four, I thought they were great. I was wary of so many new faces, but I think I'll get used to them.

I wouldn't worry. A load of the cast from last season are coming back:Tony Almeida, Palmer and Michelle (phwoaar).
    I don't know if this is a good sign. Could be a sign of desperation on the part of the scriptwriters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

lukin wrote:
    I wouldn't worry. A load of the cast from last season are coming back:Tony Almeida, Palmer and Michelle (phwoaar).
    I don't know if this is a good sign. Could be a sign of desperation on the part of the scriptwriters.

ive seen it already but for those who havnt for feck sake whats with the spoliers?

Advertisement