Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help me reduce my phone bill

Options
  • 15-04-2005 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

I'd like some advice for how to reduce my monthly phone bill

At the moment it breaks down like this:

cellphone (meteor) 20
    landline rental 10
    internet-adsl 2mb 47
    local/national calls 25
    intl mobile 23
    intl landline 11
    irish mobile 16
    total 152

My landline and internet provider is BT
    I pay for the unlimited national and local calls bundle

Really it comes down to mobile calls, even if I get in VOIP there seems no way to get the price below 18c/minute.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Cut off calls to mobiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

use telestunt for all calls www.telestunt.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

1/ Use international calling cards
    2/ Reduce your broadband speed, yeah 2MB is nice but do you really need the speed drop to 1MB and the tarriff should be cheaper
    3/ Without wanting to sound obvious don't make as many calls

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

stop making so many mobile calls, why can't people phone you? :)

You could use a mix of a VoIP seervice and eircom?
    Use VoIP for international calls...itll save you a good bit
    1.7c a min to ring the USA and UK is a good start in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

That telestunt link looks great - that should save me a lot on mobile and international calls. Also I have noticed that bt is charging me uk mobile rates for calls to Uk numbers that start with 0800, 0845, 0870 (what they call non-geographic numbers - the cute feckers). This is 29c a minute peak and I just missed it in the terms and conditions when I signed up.

I'm also going to print out the landline numbers of the most common irish mobile numbers being called and stick them on the wall by the phone. It's just laziness calling someone on a mobile when they're at home.

Some people suggested just making fewer calls but all the calls are important whether for work or social. It's a busy house and I just want to get the bill down not reduce the number of calls people make.

And it's true, I could get by with 1Mb instead of 2Mb seeing as I got by perfectly well on 512k until a few weeks ago.

thanks everyone for the suggestions - I think I should be able to knock about 50/month off the bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

How are you getting landline rental for 10 Euros a month?
    Sounds a bargain to me 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

BT charge €10 for line rental if you buy adsl from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Yule3

I heard some good things about Euphony, from another Irish board. It seems that you only pay a fixed rate of 10 euros per month, and for that you can make unlimited landline calls anywhere in Ireland once its under 60 minutes. You can also hang up and rediall someone else within the 60 minutes too, or something like that.

That doesn't sound bad at all. I was thinking of switching over to them as I need to do something about my calls as well, my phone bills are getting to high nowadays.

Has anyone heard of this company-Euphony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

UTV talktime. Free calls to UK and IRL numbers off peak? Mobiles aren't that much cheaper though.
    Drop to a lower tariff of Net access.
    Use the internet to make calls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stts

Hi,
    I ve been with Euphony since December,free landline calls for 10euro p/m. Line rental stays with Eircom.
    Use my mobile to ring mobiles.
    Have nt had a bill over 12euro since December!!!!

Need anymore info ? Just pm me.

Stts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Zaph0d wrote:
    local/national calls 25
    intl landline 11
    irish mobile 16

http://u.tv/talk

FREE calls to Irish and UK landlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

/me waves magic wand......

there you go all done (no garantee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wicklow

Skype.com, vartec.ie . Always ring mobile to mobile. Text instead of talk. Text & talk less. Call from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Get a landline cordless phone from Eircom a 5010 or similar you can then send and recieve txts via landline it a handy service,

Regards netwhizkid

Advertisement