Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this excuse mean?

• 15-04-2005 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Okay, yesterday I received my broadband package (while I was out of the house).

Fortunately my parents (who dont have a clue about technology) were there to receive it, and the engineer went to install the modem.

However, he said that it wouldnt work because of "line-stutter" preventing the singal reaching us! Now this is just what I got off my parents and I googled that same phrase and found it to be a certain type of dial tone but I could find no association as to why it would stop my DSL from working?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Sounds like you've got a bit of noise on your line.

The only way you'll fix that is phone Eircom and say you are getting bad line noise intermitently. Say it comes and goes and you've unplugged all devices from the phone socket. They may not do anything first call but a couple of times and they will come out and service your connection.

I remember I had dialup and all of a sudden one day I was getting speeds of 22k :eek: An eircom guy climbed up my pole, 5 mins later comes down and check conncetion and back up to 48-50k. It's so straight forward with a lot of cases but if Eircom start allowing a precendent to be set they will have to fix everyones phone line and that will cost them money because sometimes it's just the fact that the lines are crappy (what do we pay line rental for again???)

X

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Okay, yesterday I received my broadband package (while I was out of the house).

Fortunately my parents (who dont have a clue about technology) were there to receive it, and the engineer went to install the modem.

However, he said that it wouldnt work because of "line-stutter" preventing the singal reaching us! Now this is just what I got off my parents and I googled that same phrase and found it to be a certain type of dial tone but I could find no association as to why it would stop my DSL from working?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Who are you getting your bb from? Should this type of problem not stop a line passing the test in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We are getting the BB from Eircom. There was only an engineer (from my fathers company) up to install it because we are getting it from a third-party as my fathers company is providing BB to all of its employee's.

I doubt it's line noise as I usually connect at 54kbps at all times

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

We are getting the BB from Eircom. There was only an engineer (from my fathers company) up to install it because we are getting it from a third-party as my fathers company is providing BB to all of its employee's.

I doubt it's line noise as I usually connect at 54kbps at all times

How are you getting Eircom bb from a third party? did this engineer know what he was doing? If you were getting good dial up speeds it sounds as if the line should be pretty good. How did the engineer diagnose the line stutter do you know? Have you tried connectiing it up yourself since?

A Third party (the company) ordered the lines on behalf of us from Eircom. I'll hook it up myself when I get the chance. I presume the engineer knew what he was doing because he installed the broadband for everyone else as well and he said that around 4 other houses "out my way" have the same problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

either that or |.Muderer.| thinks himself to be a qualified engineer :)

OFC theres gona be line stutter you live in Waterford man, i would of summised that you would of installed it by now, its a good few hours after your first post and youve not said if its working or not

Its not working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Where in waterford are you located man? Surely you should be able to get it working, how close is the nearest house with broadband from your fathers company, you could get the technician to install a wireless aerial and supply the other houses if they got LOS!

Im in the Johns Hill area.

The Broadband we are getting is the Eircom Home Starter pack. The only ting that the company is doing is paying for it and installing it for us.

Now I'll have a stab at installing it myself tomorrow, as Im not in the house at the moment. If it doesnt work then I'll have to wait for Eircom to sort it out!

I still don't know what "line-stutter" would do though! I am certain I dont have line noise because I consistently connect at >50k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Cool, good luck with it, Muderer im in the waterford area if you have any hassle and ill give you a handy but its pretty straight forward. Im in town before work (2 ish)

• Advertisement

Well I've installed BB many times before, just I doubt I'll have any sucess this time considering I've been told it doesnt work! :)

Okay, I installed the modem here today and found out after a few minutes what the engineer was on about,

The DSL Sync light came on and I was browsing websites... then a few minutes later it went off and I had no connection... then it came back on and I could browse again, however there was no pattern for this and it keeps happening.

What would this mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What would this mean?

Means you've got a bad case of line-stutter.

(I don't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

this happens frequently if ya dont put the dsl filters on phones around the house, happened to my friend when i installed his anyway. you sure they're on?

Yes, we only have the one phone socket in the house. I set-up it up as it shouldve been but still no joy. I then just had the DSL line connected into the socket.

I get 12 seconds of DSL synchronisation before it loses the connection and spends another 11 seconds re-establishing the connection :(

Looks like I'll have to wait for Eircom to get up off their arses and fix it

Advertisement