Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Channel logo overlays for realtime video

• 15-04-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno if this question was asked before, but is there any software (not hardware) available on the net that can incorporate a made up logo on to real-time video, the video would be played through Windows Media player, but the idea i want is to position a logo on the top left hand corner so that it can be seen on a seconday display, i have googled but can only find hardware that does the job.

Even software that lets you make the logo then play wideo through it.

Any help would be greatly appreaceted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I've no doubt someone will give you a better solution then this one but here goes
    download free trial of Adobe premier elements 1.0.
    Using a drawing package create a jpeg image with a black background and put your logo at the top left hand corner. Don't use black in your logo.
    Open premier and using add media, add your clip and your jpeg file. drag jpeg to video track 2 (upper track) and drag video clip to video track 1 (lower track) in the timeline. Select window/effects - scroll down to "keying effect" expand out and select 'chroma key'. Drag chroma key effect onto jpeg track in timeline (video track 2). Select video track 2 in timeline and then from the top menu select Effect Control. Expand out chroma key (in the bopup window that appears by clicking triangle before "chroma key" text). Select dropper and choose the color black - or click dropper on the black part of your jpeg. type 100.0 into Blend field. that should do it . stretch your jpeg in the time line to match that same length as the video clip.
    Then export to mpeg.
    cheers,
    reece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, the technical term is a Key and Fill. All editing softwre will do them. Have a search on google.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Id be more looking for something much simpler than Adobe elements, more some thing that lets you drag a logo anywhere onto video on the secondary display, but ill try elements and see how it go's
    thanks for the info reece
    but if there is anything simpler that anyone knows about let me know.

thanks

I'm just wondering if you create an image in photo shop that's 720 * 576 Pixels, make the background transparent, then paste your logo in as a newlayer, place it on the screen where you want it, flatten the image, save as an uncompressed Tiff and import that into the editing software. Then but that on the top video layer and it might work.

John

Eh.... that doesn't work ;)

However, I did it in My Pinnacle software using the 2D rendering. Basically Made the logo full screen size, layered it over the main video and resized.

Or did as I did in the pervious post and Croped all the white off using the crop tool in my 2D editor....

Any way the resultant video was as the link below.... sorry there's no movement, but it'd be the same. The Green marble is the Action Video, the Blue clouds are the resized full image, and the brown one is the Cropped image. Took me about 2 minutes to do. Don't know what software you're using or if it has 2D editing.

Check it at: http://www.johnloughman.com/Logo.wmv it's only 150 K or something like that.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Lump wrote:
    I'm just wondering if you create an image in photo shop that's 720 * 576 Pixels, make the background transparent, then paste your logo in as a newlayer, place it on the screen where you want it, flatten the image, save as an uncompressed Tiff and import that into the editing software. Then but that on the top video layer and it might work.

John

yep - thats a better way - created an image in photoshop using transparent background, pasted on my title as new layer, accidently saved as photoshop file and imported into premier. worked a treat without having to key (what was i thinking :) . Just placed the logo on the top track

I AM TEH GENIUS!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Lump wrote:
    I AM TEH GENIUS!

John

Bloody right it worked for me, BTW im using Pinnacle studio 9 plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

just on an aside anyone had joy tracking several pixelated faces across the screen. As in say two prisoners entering a shot at different times and traveling using a hand held camera. Using Avid XPress, my problem is stopping the pixelation from continuing after a person leaves frame. or before they arrive. I can't create seperate key frames for each effect so it maps the affect to both keyframes. Tres annoying.

Hmmm,

I'll go look.

John

• Advertisement

Surely..... eh, let's see if I can explain this.

Person 1 Walks into frame, 12 frames into the shot. Insert keyframe, and block his face.

Spin to when Person 1 leaves frame, create keyframe and block face. Ok that's easy.

Person two walks into shot at 1 sec in. Copy first keyframe for person one and paste where person 2 enters. Adjust the position etc and add the blocking to that for person two.

Person Two leaves frame 3 seconds after person one..... My way to get around it, would be to insert a keyframe one frame after the last keyframe relating to person 1. Select this keyframe and delete the Blocking for person 1. Then insert the blocking for person 2.

Then go back and do all the intermidate keyframes, now that you have your start and finish point.... It's easy.

I'd be interested in having a go at that one if you can be bothered uploading the video, compressed obviously.

Hope it makes sense, or relates to what you were asking.... I think it does.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Makes sense its just avid xpress doesn't allow to apply individual values to separate effects. I'd need to delete one and then the other.

I found two ways around it.

1. (the I'm sooooo clever) added an edited between person one leaving frame, and when the second person entered frame, and then applied seperate effects to two different shots.

2. the, smiling smugly to myself, I noticed the make mosaic visible/invisible button on my effects pallet therefore allowing me to decide which mosaic I wanted to be on screen for each individual keyframe. therefore I could use the same keyframes for both effects, to chose whether I wanted one on screen and not the other.

One of those, avid "you're so smart why wasn't this so bleeding obvious buttons" Which in turn is bleeding obvious you kind of get the feeling the software designers are playing an injoke.

John can't post, don't own copyright, was actually for work. felt so sheepish didn't feel like e-mailing my avid guru list about this one.

Incidently, how about a tech resource thread. I've a couple of mailing lists and sites that would be of benefit, and I'm sure everyone else does too, it'd be a benefit. I'm trying to find some decent intermediatory AE lists/sites, and a compiled list of locations would help.

Actually walking to work this morning, I realised that you'd be using Avid, and I had a think and came up with your option 1. I was going to work through it last night on avid, but as I had no footage, thought it'd be tough. The one thing I don't like about avid is the lack of "Bloody Obvious" buttons.

Feel free to start a thread with links etc, I'll sticky it. Might even add to it.

John

Advertisement