Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

where did i go wrong???

• 15-04-2005 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I am using windows movie maker.. but when i save a movie to a dvd it seems to save it on to the disk but when i try to playback on my dvd player it wont work. what am i doing wrong? I would really appreciate help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Did you write the WMV file to the dvd? If so, it would seem your DVD player doesn't support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

excuse my ignorance!! but what?
    how do I write WMV to the dvd.. or should I? I just saved it ... :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ok, baby steps time... Define "save to DVD"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

gubby wrote:
    where did i go wrong???

First mistake was such an unhelpful thread title ...

Second was using Windows Movie Maker. Use something else - anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

gubby wrote:
    but when i try to playback on my dvd player it wont work.
    Do you mean a stand-alone DVD player like one that would be connected to a TV?
    One thing I'd try is to play it on the computer first using a DVD player program, this rules out an incompatability between the disk and the player.
    My DVD player is a bit picky about which disks it reads... it seems to ignore DVD+R completely, but works fine with DVD-R, go figure.

Check the contents of the DVD, you should have folders on it like "audio_ts" and "video_ts" (or something to that effect) and the files here should have .vob extensions.
    As has already been mentioned, they have to be a specific format (mpeg4 afaicr), so putting wmv's or whatever on the disk isn't going to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

gubby wrote:
    I am using windows movie maker.. but when i save a movie to a dvd it seems to save it on to the disk but when i try to playback on my dvd player it wont work. what am i doing wrong? I would really appreciate help

Windows Movie Maker does not support writing to DVD (at least not the version I have installed). It may, however, allow you to save the video file to a DVD - but that won't be playable in a DVD player. Think of it as saving to another hard-disk, the DVD player expects a DVD format disc, not a Windows hard-disk format disk.

You need to save it as a video file and then import to another DVD burning software such as Nero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

ok so.. can anyone give me a link for nero or anyother programme i could use. thanks for all the help :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Go to http://www.doom9.org/ and click on guides your going to be looking at Format Conversion DivX->(S)VCD/DVD±R, SVCD->DivX etc and then learn to use nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

gubby wrote:
    ok so.. can anyone give me a link for nero or anyother programme i could use. thanks for all the help :cool:

Use the google - try using a something else other than windows movie maker, came supplied with a crappy dell pc?

Advertisement