Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad-Punk / Celtic Rock

Options
  • 15-04-2005 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

I wonder do trad purists find trad-punk offensive or what is the general view? Let me explain I have been re-introduced to some real lyrical and musical gems by virtue of Blood Or Whiskey (Dublin/Kildare band), www.bloodorwhiskey.ie

Songs like Follow Me Up To Carlow / The Mero / King of the Fairies etc. The amount of bands playing with this genre can be found at:

http://www.****enonions.com

I would be interested to hear your views, The Pogues obviously opened the door for many acts. A live Blood Or Whiskey show is something to be seen, everyone goes mental!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Shane MacGowan is the only one who has ever done it properly. Not a fan of Dropkick Murphy's or The Young Dubliners or any of that stuff that I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frank Cronin

What about Flogging Molly? Heard any of their stuff, and Dave King is a Dubliner?

www.floggingmolly.com

I haven't heard much from them, they seemed alright. There's others who have done it much better though. Thing aren't bad, eh... Gaelic Storm, not a bad voice. Fun stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Flogging Molly are excellent. nothing (i mean it, nothing) puts me in a good mood like that mad celtic diddly-i music with a punk twist. grand shtuff

Have Flogging Molly acoustic stuff? Maybe it wasn't them I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

i couldnt tell ya. i havn't heard all of their stuff. they probably do, but i havn't heard it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lepton

Or even trad-metal?

http://www.cruachan.cjb.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frank Cronin

Well most of their stuff has acoustic guitar, but full band with it, they get better and better year-on-year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Flogging Molly are the best live band I've ever had the ecstacy of seeing. I've never felt so happy, energetic, amped, brilliant in my whole life.

I'm a huge fan of the genre, I got into it with Flogging Molly, and it developed from there. However, i'm not a big fan of the shítenonions compilations for some reason, I know it can be said alot of the genre borrows heavily from the Pogues, but some of the bands on this are carbon copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Flogging molly are good, not too original, it's like if you replaced Phil Chevron from the pogues with Billy Joe from greenday and let him influence the band. Still have some great songs though.

Blood or Whiskey have a more unique style, much more like a punk band using whistle and banjo for extra effects.

Haven't heard Dropkick Murphys. Cruachan just mentioned are great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I wouldn't be as good a fan of the Dropkick Murphys. They seem to just be punk singing about Irish themes. I saw them in Temple Bar and the crowd there was definitely more hardcore. Not even compared to Flogging Molly which seemed more there for the music, at the 'kicks there were huge moshes and people getting brought out unconscious. At one stage they hat to stop the show because they thought things were getting out of hand. They got the whole crowd up on stage at the end which was cool however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

I wonder do trad purists find trad-punk offensive or what is the general view?

The answer imo would be that yes, they do. Though I suppose they would find any kind of punk offensive.

From my own albeit limited experience of the genre, the trad side of their music is pretty poor, and on the other side I'd be interested to know what die hard punk fans would think of the quality of their punk. I would say that this, and a lot of other cross-genre music's, take the the worst bits from each of the genre's and combine them to make something that's .... well, sh1t basically. But to each his own. Lord knows plenty of people seem to like ronan keating's "music".

For some reason, the pogues are a massive exception and they managed to do it absolutely brilliantly, even though the "trad" side of their stuff is actually really close to borderline cheesy and very naff by contemporary irish music standards, but McGowan is just a brilliant lyricist and the song melodies are strong, plus you know the guys are the real thing - they really did live on the edge.

Now, some burger eating frat boy american football players sloshing down some pitchers of budweiser while banging out some trash metal and shouting themselves hoarse with some cheesy rebel song cliches, calling themselves "satan's shure and begorrah's"..... I rest my case :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Funkstard wrote:
    At one stage they hat to stop the show because they thought things were getting out of hand.
    Yeah that happened when I was carrying some random unconcious person outta the place and another guy stage dived straight on top of us. Was a deadly gig though.

I went and got some Flogging Molly stuff, they aren't the band I thought they were. Much better than Flogging Molly, much more pogues-esque. Although there stuff isn't a patch on MacGowans work. Less Oirish aswell. Haven't heard the others mentioned. Would like to hear that Irish band, no downloads on their site.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

You mean dropkick murphys?

Advertisement