Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems since EsatBT 2mb upgrade

• 15-04-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭

Ever since the upgrade, at around 11pm the DSL connection drops, come up for 1-3 mins, drops again, etc. For anything up to hours, it also drops sometimes during the day as well. This is terrible when gaming, and only really useful for surfing the web.

I think I should mention that theres phonewatch installed in my house, but up until the upgrade, they both worked fine together. Is it possible the higher bandwidth uses some of the channels the phonewatch was using (or something), and theres a conflict?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I have that all the time, Gaming away and it just goes. Pissing the hell out of me. I did have it before the upgrade tho. I cnd ping or trace anything either. I can go onto some of my usual websites tho, but yet cant ping anything... :S
    Try reboot ur router/modem, after 2/3mins it comes back. Works but its a pain in the A$$ :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Resetting the router does work, but the connection goes down again after 1-3 mins, its fairly useless this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Humm Sorry cnt think of anything else. Tried contacting esat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Check the quality of your line and post the results back to us - I also have these sort of problems when I have time I may test the connection closer to the actual main house phone socket since I have my router a long distance away from it and the socket I'm pluging into is in bad state - it may be the reason why my line drops frequently. I hope, else I will have to call €ircon out complaining about "noise" on my line - hopefully once they fix my broken line it should be OK.

How do I check the quality of the line? Do I ring eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Your router should have a settings page that shows "Line Condition" or something like that. Check the noise attenuation and SNR readings and post them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lockup wrote:
    Your router should have a settings page that shows "Line Condition" or something like that. Check the noise attenuation and SNR readings and post them back.
    Bingo. I don't know what IP address is used by the EsatBT router though since I have my own but it's usually something like 192.168.X.X - mine being 192.168.0.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Its 192.168.1.1

Username Admin
    Password 1234

Sorry for the delay, heres the figures:

Upstream:
    relative capacity occupation: 0%
    noise margin upstream: 28 db
    output power downstream: 18 db
    attenuation upstream: 30 db

Downstream:
    relative capacity occupation: 0%
    noise margin downstream: 12 db
    output power upstream: 1 db
    attenuation downstream: 49 db

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

yep same here

every night the service just becomes completley unuseable at around 11 or so

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Problem is not getting any better in Limerick either. Since the upgrade the service is worse then i was on 512K. I've got a 2MB line and download from numerous sites in the US is now alot worse then the way things were with 512K.

I'm getting really poor speeds across the spectrum, strangly seems to get worse as the night progresses, you'd think at 2-6am things would be alot better.

Can anyone say if this is contention or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

my iol connection seems to be getting slowly back to normal judging by tonights performance anyway although still not as fast as it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

Hey what area are you in im on the phibsboro dublin 7 exchange and im having no problems at all, its only drops the odd time but iv noticed that when it does im maxing the connection out 100k plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 budrick

ur not the only one with probs ,ever since the upgrade the bb has gone haywire ( not to say it was'nt actin up before either,which it was ),when im playing online im lucky if i get a ping lower than 200 and my downloads wont settle at all especially if their coming from the U.S .esat and eircon need to get their finger out and do something, when i contacted esat they said it was eircons prob and eircon said it was esat ,, makes no sense ? . i even had my modem replaced and it made no diference and if ur goin to say that its the phone line ,its only been laid 2 years so its new cable .i even stayed up to 4 30 am one night to test the connection and it might as well hav been midday .im on the mullingar exchange btw

Advertisement